Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old March 25 2011, 02:50 AM   #1
THE Robert Maxwell
Reports of my death...

View THE Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to THE Robert Maxwell
Bear McCreary vs. Other Composers

I was listening to "Diaspora Oratorio" tonight and realized it bears a strong similarity to a Johann Johannson song I like. First, listen to "Oratorio":

Now, Johannson's "IBM 1402 - Card-Read Punch" (yeah, bizarre name):

I wouldn't say Bear ripped him off but there is a striking resemblance and I'd be surprised if he wasn't influenced by this song (or perhaps Johannson in general.)

What do you guys think? Are there any other songs from BSG's soundtrack that resemble the works of other composers? (Aside from "All Along the Watchtower," obviously.)
Old March 25 2011, 05:46 AM   #2
Brikar99
Rear Admiral

Re: Bear McCreary vs. Other Composers

At some point, everything resembles something else. Female vocalists and ethnic instruments are not new ideas in music, but McCreary used them extremely well.
Old March 25 2011, 02:35 PM   #3
exodus
Fleet Admiral

I just like the dudes name: Bear.

How do parents pick that as a name?
Was he born with a full beard?
Old March 25 2011, 04:21 PM   #4
THE Robert Maxwell
Reports of my death...

View THE Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to THE Robert Maxwell

Brikar99 wrote: View Post
At some point, everything resembles something else. Female vocalists and ethnic instruments are not new ideas in music, but McCreary used them extremely well.
I'm not slamming him at all, I just thought the similarities here were more than superficial--enough to indicate a clear influence.

exodus wrote: View Post
I just like the dudes name: Bear.

How do parents pick that as a name?
Was he born with a full beard?
I dunno, but it is a pretty wicked name.
Old March 25 2011, 04:27 PM   #5
Roshi's bone
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Roshi's bone

Robert Maxwell, I strongly suggest you listen to Gustav Holst's The Planets, especially Mars: The Bringer of War.
It was written b/w 1914-1916...

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Old March 25 2011, 06:10 PM   #6
THE Robert Maxwell
Reports of my death...

Mutenroshi wrote: View Post
Robert Maxwell, I strongly suggest you listen to Gustav Holst's The Planets, especially Mars: The Bringer of War.
It was written b/w 1914-1916...
Quite familiar with The Planets, especially Mars. Great stuff!
Old April 17 2011, 07:37 AM   #7
The Black Stig
Rear Admiral

The "Adama Theme" is remarkably similar to a track on the Blackhawk Down soundtrack.

All we know is that he's not The Stig, he's The Stig's drowned predecessor.
Old April 18 2011, 11:21 PM   #8
pst
Lieutenant Commander

The Stig wrote: View Post
The "Adama Theme" is remarkably similar to a track on the Blackhawk Down soundtrack.
yeah the adama theme from BSG and caprica is very similar to an old irish song called "the minstrel boy" - which appeared in black hawk down and an episode of star trek: the next generation called "the wounded".

black hawk also features a piece by hans zimmer called "leave no man behind" which is eerily close to "roslin & adama" from BSG.

jerry goldsmith's theme from alien (heard about 35 seconds in) also bears a striking resemblance to mccreary's earth theme from "daybreak, parts I & II", as does the old 90s jingle from ABC.

bear mccreary was probably inspired by black hawk down in the early days of BSG (or the producers were), hence the similarity there. as for the alien connection, i think mccreary was paying homage to goldsmith.

Old April 27 2011, 12:02 AM   #9
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

It's too bad that we haven't yet got a more comprehensive representation of Bear's work on BSG. In currently in the process of mixing various tracks to create thematic-based "suites" but the sad truth is that many themes are woefully underrepresented on the current CD releases.
Old April 27 2011, 12:43 AM   #10
Harvey
Admiral

Has he mentioned the 2-disc release he was planning with more music from the series lately? I was looking forward to that, but haven't heard much since the series ended.

EDIT: Okay, I see that Bear mentioned on his blog that he was moving on this soon. The comment was made back in February. Fingers crossed.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Old April 27 2011, 12:53 AM   #11
David cgc
Vice Admiral

I tend to assume that the similarities between prior film scores and BSG tracks come down to the temp-love the producers constantly berated themselves for whenever talking about the music. Though, oddly, I've never seen anyone track down the one instance they explicitly cited, where the track "Pegasus" was inspired by a piece by the Psychedelic Furs. Any fans of that band around here who can figure out which song that was?
Old April 27 2011, 01:10 AM   #12
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

I always thought the guitar melodies that accompanied the "Pegasus" scenes/episodes were exceptional.
Old April 27 2011, 05:22 PM   #13
THE Robert Maxwell
Reports of my death...

Samuel Walters wrote: View Post
I always thought the guitar melodies that accompanied the "Pegasus" scenes/episodes were exceptional.
I agree, a lot of people complained about it at the time because it was unusual, but I loved the feel it added to the scene. Running into another Battlestar was not at all an everyday occurrence, and you wouldn't want to use everyday music to communicate it. You'd want to use something unusual and unexpected, just like Pegasus was. The track Bear composed worked excellently, in my opinion.
Old September 29 2012, 02:41 AM   #14
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

David cgc wrote: View Post
I tend to assume that the similarities between prior film scores and BSG tracks come down to the temp-love the producers constantly berated themselves for whenever talking about the music. Though, oddly, I've never seen anyone track down the one instance they explicitly cited, where the track "Pegasus" was inspired by a piece by the Psychedelic Furs. Any fans of that band around here who can figure out which song that was?
Sorry to bump such an old thread, but I got to wondering about this myself. Not a fan, but I did a little digging around on YouTube and I'm pretty much certain it was their 1980 piece "India." Have a listen to the first 2:30, then skip to the last 0:20:

That ending with the staccato drumbeat and electric guitar-twang cutoff is pretty much identical to the McCreary version.
Old September 30 2012, 05:17 PM   #15
Ian Keldon
Fleet Captain

No one's mentioned the amazing similarities between the music we hear during the "Adama's Last Flight" and "Into the Sun" scenes and Stu Phillips?

Which, by the way, were the two best tracks Bear composed for the entire show...