RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,394
Posts: 5,505,536
Members: 25,130
Currently online: 467
Newest member: OneOfFour

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old March 29 2011, 11:19 PM   #46
Lonemagpie
Writer
 
Lonemagpie's Avatar
 
Location: Yorkshire
Re: Consoles Are Fun!

J. Allen wrote: View Post
So I'll ask, since I'm so very new to the Gamecube, are there any games that really stand out?
Need For Speed Underground,
Medal Of Honor Frontline,
Everything Or Nothing,
Splinter Cell 1,2 and 3
Metroid Prime
Resident Evil 1 and 4
XIII
Second Sight
Eternal Darkness
Hitman 2
__________________
"I got two modes with people- Bite, and Avoid"
Reading: ()

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2011, 05:04 AM   #47
T.Geiger
Lieutenant Commander
 
Location: Indianapolis, IN, USA
Re: Consoles Are Fun!

I'll echo several people's sentiments here:

Resident Evil Remake, RE4
Metroid Prime 1, 2
Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes
Eternal Darkness (Not quite as awesome as a couple of people indicated, but still pretty good)

If you are not a big RE fan, you will probably want to skip RE0. I still recommend the other two games though. The Remake is very high quality and RE4 is one of the top games to come out of the last generation of consoles.

Personally, while I thought Mario Kart Double Dash had a neat mechanic, both me (a MKart fan) and a friend (a racing game fan) thought the overall game was rubbish.

Most people violently dislike Super Mario Sunshine. I gave up on the Mario games after the SNES era, so I haven't played it myself.

There were two major Zelda games. Wind Waker had a controversial art style shift that kept several gamers (myself included) away from the game. The reviews that mentioned there were only three dungeons and tons of backtracking and hours upon hours of sailing around, doing nothing, didn't help its reputation. You might want to look into it before you spend any money.

The other was Twilight Princess. While I did pick up this game, it was unbelievably boring. ("Seriously? A fetch quest for a cat?") I guess people liked it a lot better than Wind Waker, but I just couldn't bring myself to care about it and gave up a dozen or so hours in. Like another poster, I really don't care about the series anymore after those two misfires.

What you may want to look for are the two non-commercial releases. One disc had Zelda 1,2, Ocarina of Time, and Majora's Mask on it, while the other had Ocarina of Time along with a "Master Quest" version of the game. One was a pre-order bonus for Wind Waker (which I never bothered to go back and get) while the other was available by registering two of four games titles online.

It might be incredibly difficult to find now, but there was a gameboy advance player widget that can be attached to the bottom of the gamecube, allowing for playing GBA titles on a television.

Also, you might want to check to see if "super saver shipping" is available for the titles on Amazon. If it is, you just need to find enough stuff to add onto your order to exceed $25. I need to do it frequently when I buy older titles for the current generation. Add a package of food or batteries or something else you use on a regular basis.
T.Geiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2011, 07:18 AM   #48
BlobVanDam
Fleet Captain
 
BlobVanDam's Avatar
 
Location: Australia
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BlobVanDam Send a message via Yahoo to BlobVanDam
Re: Consoles Are Fun!

T.Geiger wrote: View Post
Personally, while I thought Mario Kart Double Dash had a neat mechanic, both me (a MKart fan) and a friend (a racing game fan) thought the overall game was rubbish.

Most people violently dislike Super Mario Sunshine. I gave up on the Mario games after the SNES era, so I haven't played it myself.

There were two major Zelda games. Wind Waker had a controversial art style shift that kept several gamers (myself included) away from the game. The reviews that mentioned there were only three dungeons and tons of backtracking and hours upon hours of sailing around, doing nothing, didn't help its reputation. You might want to look into it before you spend any money.

The other was Twilight Princess. While I did pick up this game, it was unbelievably boring. ("Seriously? A fetch quest for a cat?") I guess people liked it a lot better than Wind Waker, but I just couldn't bring myself to care about it and gave up a dozen or so hours in. Like another poster, I really don't care about the series anymore after those two misfires.
As I have all 4 of these games, I'll chime in with my opinion.

I like Mario Kart Double Dash. It's a little bit different, so I can understand if you didn't like it as much. The game is only really good in 2 player imo, otherwise you're at a disadvantage in the more difficult races, and it is a more difficult game. Personally I'd still recommend it to any Mario Kart fan, but that's my opinion.

I didn't get extremely far into Mario Sunshine, although I liked what I played. I found the platforming levels extremely annoying and frustrating due to the very touchy controls, and that's why I gave up on it, but aside from that, I found it about as enjoyable as Mario 64.

I was hugely turned off by the art style of Wind Waker, like many others. And the more I played it, the more I disliked their choice of direction. The first 3/4 of the game are great, but the sailing kills it as much as everyone says. Just when the game gets good with 3 amazing dungeons, the game is basically over and you're stuck sailing boringly for the final 1/4 - 1/3 of the game. It's like having sex, but right when things are getting good, she stops and tells you to take a sail boat across the Atlantic Ocean instead. It shouldn't be too hard to pick it up at a reasonable price, so I guess it's still worth it if you're a Zelda fan.

Twilight Princess took some time to grow on me. I can understand if you gave up, because it took a long time for me to really get into it too, but as I got into the second half and decided to explore a bit instead of just going from dungeon to dungeon, I started to appreciate the game a lot more. I'd now say it's my second favourite Zelda game, to OoT of course. It won't give you anything unexpected, but it has a great atmosphere to it, and it's familiar without diverting off course like Wind Waker and Majora's Mask. Some people consider that a minus, although I like that it stuck closer to what I liked, rather than including gameplay elements that I felt largely detracted from the gameplay.
I'd say it's a game worth playing for any Zelda fan, although for the price it fetches these days, it really may not be worth it to many.
BlobVanDam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2011, 07:32 AM   #49
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral
 
Owain Taggart's Avatar
 
Location: Northern Ontario, Canada
Re: Consoles Are Fun!

I never finished Twilight Princess, and I imagine I'm going to eventually, but I thought the beginning of the game was amazingly beautiful. I loved the detail of the town and the people and the amount of stuff you could do. It really impressed me.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2011, 08:28 AM   #50
Santa Claus
Believe
 
Santa Claus's Avatar
 
Location: J. Allen's Rooftop
Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus
Re: Consoles Are Fun!

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
J. Allen wrote: View Post
So I'll ask, since I'm so very new to the Gamecube, are there any games that really stand out?
Need For Speed Underground,
Medal Of Honor Frontline,
Everything Or Nothing,
Splinter Cell 1,2 and 3
Metroid Prime
Resident Evil 1 and 4
XIII
Second Sight
Eternal Darkness
Hitman 2
I have the two games I bolded here, and they're solid. I'm really thinking about Eternal Darkness, as it seems to be getting rave reviews.

T.Geiger wrote: View Post
I'll echo several people's sentiments here:

Resident Evil Remake, RE4
Metroid Prime 1, 2
Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes
Eternal Darkness (Not quite as awesome as a couple of people indicated, but still pretty good)

If you are not a big RE fan, you will probably want to skip RE0. I still recommend the other two games though. The Remake is very high quality and RE4 is one of the top games to come out of the last generation of consoles.

Personally, while I thought Mario Kart Double Dash had a neat mechanic, both me (a MKart fan) and a friend (a racing game fan) thought the overall game was rubbish.

Most people violently dislike Super Mario Sunshine. I gave up on the Mario games after the SNES era, so I haven't played it myself.

There were two major Zelda games. Wind Waker had a controversial art style shift that kept several gamers (myself included) away from the game. The reviews that mentioned there were only three dungeons and tons of backtracking and hours upon hours of sailing around, doing nothing, didn't help its reputation. You might want to look into it before you spend any money.

The other was Twilight Princess. While I did pick up this game, it was unbelievably boring. ("Seriously? A fetch quest for a cat?") I guess people liked it a lot better than Wind Waker, but I just couldn't bring myself to care about it and gave up a dozen or so hours in. Like another poster, I really don't care about the series anymore after those two misfires.

What you may want to look for are the two non-commercial releases. One disc had Zelda 1,2, Ocarina of Time, and Majora's Mask on it, while the other had Ocarina of Time along with a "Master Quest" version of the game. One was a pre-order bonus for Wind Waker (which I never bothered to go back and get) while the other was available by registering two of four games titles online.

It might be incredibly difficult to find now, but there was a gameboy advance player widget that can be attached to the bottom of the gamecube, allowing for playing GBA titles on a television.

Also, you might want to check to see if "super saver shipping" is available for the titles on Amazon. If it is, you just need to find enough stuff to add onto your order to exceed $25. I need to do it frequently when I buy older titles for the current generation. Add a package of food or batteries or something else you use on a regular basis.
I've got Amazon Prime free for two weeks, and I'm trying to capitalize on it.
__________________
---------
"I believe... I believe... It's silly, but I believe." - Susan Walker
---------
❄ A Joyful Holiday Season to You All! ❄

Santa Claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2011, 10:30 AM   #51
DBR
Vice Admiral
 
DBR's Avatar
 
Location: Yraglac, Atrebla
Re: Consoles Are Fun!

One of my favourite Gamecube games was SSX Tricky.

I know it wasn't a GCN exclusive, but that was the system I played it on, and frankly, I fuckin' rocked!'

All the other SSX games were inferior.
__________________
Did you ever wonder if the person in the puddle is real, and you're just a reflection of him?
DBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2011, 12:31 PM   #52
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Space Massachusetts
Re: Consoles Are Fun!

Nintendo admitted to fucking up Wind Waker by cutting half the game to make the deadline instead of delaying the game for the 5th time.

It can easily be found for cheap, and should be bought because it's an amazingly beautiful game.

I'm not a Zela fan, so I don't care if it doesn't fit, it's just really nice to look at.
__________________
The powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse.
bigdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2011, 02:53 PM   #53
BlobVanDam
Fleet Captain
 
BlobVanDam's Avatar
 
Location: Australia
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BlobVanDam Send a message via Yahoo to BlobVanDam
Re: Consoles Are Fun!

I never heard about Nintendo cutting half the game, but I always figured that was the case, because it's painfully obvious from playing it. But what's there is still quite good, aside from sailing. It's just too short a game to really be one of the better Zeldas for me.
BlobVanDam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2011, 03:28 PM   #54
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Space Massachusetts
Re: Consoles Are Fun!

Two dungeons were cut from the game, and one was rather large. Nintendo broke their rule, better to have a great delayed game than a lesser game on time. No one will remember the delay, everyone will remember an unpolished game.
__________________
The powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse.
bigdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2011, 11:01 PM   #55
Santa Claus
Believe
 
Santa Claus's Avatar
 
Location: J. Allen's Rooftop
Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus
Re: Consoles Are Fun!

I read a review from Gamespot and Amazon, saw a few screenshots and a video of the gameplay and now I want it.
__________________
---------
"I believe... I believe... It's silly, but I believe." - Susan Walker
---------
❄ A Joyful Holiday Season to You All! ❄

Santa Claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2011, 04:51 AM   #56
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Space Massachusetts
Re: Consoles Are Fun!

J. Allen wrote: View Post
I read a review from Gamespot and Amazon, saw a few screenshots and a video of the gameplay and now I want it.
I'm not a Zelda fan, but I think it should be found for maybe $15, and it's well worth that because it's simply beautiful. Probably the most beautiful game since Yoshi's Island.

This is the order I'd buy them...
F-Zero
Chibi-Robo
Zelda
Animal Crossing (Just for the NES games. If you get it let me know and I'll send you some. Plus the beginning of April the trees are pink and that's pretty. )
__________________
The powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse.

Last edited by bigdaddy; March 31 2011 at 06:52 PM.
bigdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2011, 06:25 PM   #57
Santa Claus
Believe
 
Santa Claus's Avatar
 
Location: J. Allen's Rooftop
Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus
Re: Consoles Are Fun!

I'll look into that. I just received my s-video adapter today, and I love being able to actually read the text in the games now.
Seriously, though, the games look much better now. Sharper and cleaner. I also know this will be the best picture I get out of the GC, which is fine.
__________________
---------
"I believe... I believe... It's silly, but I believe." - Susan Walker
---------
❄ A Joyful Holiday Season to You All! ❄

Santa Claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2011, 04:00 PM   #58
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Space Massachusetts
Re: Consoles Are Fun!

So what games have you bought recently? Have Fzero yet?
__________________
The powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse.
bigdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2011, 05:28 AM   #59
FPAlpha
Vice Admiral
 
FPAlpha's Avatar
 
Location: Mannheim, Germany
Re: Consoles Are Fun!

What makes consoles so fun is that you can sit back on a couch, controller in hand and make yourself real comfortable (unless you are playing a high octane action game in which case you are sitting on edge anyway). Try to do that with a PC.. keyboard on your lap and mouse on a pad besides on the couch just doesn't work as well as on a desk.

Besides that one of the advantages is teamplay.. just get a second controller and play together. Also hard to do with a PC because they are not wired that way unless you play a game with a console controller.. it's just not the same to play online against someone as opposed to someone sitting right beside you.

Consoles are much more social and Wii (and perhaps Kinect) has done their share to get non-gamers in it too.
__________________
"Zhu Li Moon.. will you do the thing for the rest of our lives?" Varrick
FPAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2011, 05:38 AM   #60
Santa Claus
Believe
 
Santa Claus's Avatar
 
Location: J. Allen's Rooftop
Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus
Re: Consoles Are Fun!

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
So what games have you bought recently? Have Fzero yet?
Yep! I have F-Zero. Unfortunately, it's only so-so for me. I'm actually having a lot more fun with Mario Golf.

FPAlpha wrote: View Post
What makes consoles so fun is that you can sit back on a couch, controller in hand and make yourself real comfortable (unless you are playing a high octane action game in which case you are sitting on edge anyway). Try to do that with a PC.. keyboard on your lap and mouse on a pad besides on the couch just doesn't work as well as on a desk.

Besides that one of the advantages is teamplay.. just get a second controller and play together. Also hard to do with a PC because they are not wired that way unless you play a game with a console controller.. it's just not the same to play online against someone as opposed to someone sitting right beside you.

Consoles are much more social and Wii (and perhaps Kinect) has done their share to get non-gamers in it too.
Exactly. Just put the game in, sit back and enjoy. Easy as pie.
__________________
---------
"I believe... I believe... It's silly, but I believe." - Susan Walker
---------
❄ A Joyful Holiday Season to You All! ❄

Santa Claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
console, gamecube, nintendo

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:37 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.