Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Miles Away Glyph Award Nominations
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old February 1 2014, 05:40 AM   #1
CuttingEdge100
Commodore

Some Art Requests

I'm thinking of a simple idea for some very basic drawings to flesh out some ideas

1. Sabre Class with upturned nacelles instead of down-turned

2. Norway Class with the twin-booms mounted on the centerline and four nacelles
Old February 1 2014, 06:53 AM   #2
Finn
Vice Admiral

Re: Some Art Requests

Ok. Why should someone do it for you?

You might have a better chance if you gave a reason, assurance to give credit due, etc.
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2014, 08:45 PM   #3
JES
Captain

Sorry to say so, but yeah, many of us artists have our own projects in mind. I even have a backlog myself, which I don't ever see how I'm going to complete.
Don't want to be offensive, but the saying goes "sometimes if you want something done, you have to do it your self".
JES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2014, 06:23 AM   #4
CuttingEdge100
Commodore

Finn,

1. It's a fairly simple request especially when I'm not interested in the windows, escape hatches, phaser, banks and all that stuff: Just basically the engines, nav-deflector and basic hull shape

2. I thought either it would have been better designs than the USS Defiant: They looked like something in Star Trek yet looked tough and something you wouldn't want to tangle with

3. Whoever does the job gets credit. I'm not going to take anybody's credit
Old February 3 2014, 12:06 PM   #5
Finn
Vice Admiral

^ Notice how nobody offered to do it for you yet and it has been a few days now? JES said it best.

Why should anybody do it, especially when you are asking for such a basic design that you might do it yourself?

Some of the regulars in this forum do things like this for a living or as a serious hobby. As for your third point, you should have said it in your first post...
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2014, 12:18 AM   #6
CuttingEdge100
Commodore

Finn

So if I said that first you'd have drawn it?
Old February 4 2014, 01:02 AM   #7
2takesfrakes
Fleet Captain

As an artist, a creative person, I am driven to and by ... originality. The kitsch of reproducing and/or expanding upon the STAR TREK universe prevents me from taking an interest in the prospect. However, we could discuss commission terms and fees, in private if you like. And, if we can come to an arrangement, I would be only too happy to work on an original, futuristic and/or space-based concept piece. One which you may use as a basis for your own project(s) ...
Old February 4 2014, 03:42 PM   #8
RoJoHen
Awesome

If it's such a simple request, do it yourself. Art = work. It takes time, effort, supplies, etc. Why should anyone want to do this for you? What is their incentive?
Old February 4 2014, 04:05 PM   #9
Ptrope
Agitator

CuttingEdge100, you may be able to find component sets online with which you could create at least mock-ups of your thoughts pretty easily; several of our members do this and may be able to help you out with links.

One thing you may find is that most of the folks around here enjoy a challenge - if you can present something that someone finds interesting or intriguing, rather than a quick one-line description that begs the reader to try to read your mind , you may get a more enthusiastic response.
Old February 4 2014, 08:03 PM   #10
Patrickivan
Fleet Captain

^
I agree... I'd just cut and paste in paint to get a quick idea put down.

I actually took a look at the sabre after reading the OP request and thought it might look better with the nacelles above. I wish I could say I'd get around to mocking one up, but if I do, I'll gladly share it.

The norway? Noway heh. I really dislike the idea of four nacelles. I barely like it on the Constellation class and only liked it at the time because I was craving to see a new federation ship on screen.

40 Years and ticking. Damn, that's too old fashioned.
40 years and still processing!
Patrickivan is offline   Reply With Quote