Shatner: Aging and Work
By: T'Bonz on Apr 23

Kurtzman And Orci Go Solo
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Star Trek #32 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 23 2010, 06:57 AM   #1
ReadyAndWilling
Fleet Captain

'Godzilla' from 1998

so I was watching this for about 15 minutes earlier after Christopher mentioned the animated show.

i know this was hated by fans of the original Godzilla and the hatred is definitely understandable from my perspective. i was a huge fan growing up of the original transformers in the 80's. i had the action figures and taped every episode. then i go and see movie from 2007 and it just didn't feel like it captured the true heart of transformers. some of the scenes were just out of place, like bumblebee takin' a leak on the guy, which is something the original would have never done. great special effects and some good looking women, but no substance.

anyway, i'm starting to remember why i enjoyed Godzilla so much. decent story, good humor and some exciting action scenes all make it worthwhile viewing. the CGI still holds up too, IMO.
ReadyAndWilling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2010, 07:34 AM   #2
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

Re: 'Godzilla' from 1998

I realized it sucked in 5th grade.
Old December 23 2010, 07:37 AM   #3
SG-17
Commodore

One problem, its not Godzilla.

SG-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2010, 08:22 AM   #4
Tiberius
Commodore

I enjoyed it as a monster movie. more realistic than a guy in a rubber suit.
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2010, 08:46 AM   #5
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

the animated series was good. the movie, not so much. the 98 Godzilla being easily defeated by the true Godzilla was one of the best parts of Godzilla Final Wars.
Old December 23 2010, 01:11 PM   #6
Mr Light
Admiral

I loved '98 Godzilla as a kid. Great action scenes, and I liked how first it was Godzilla, then it was the baby dinos, then it was big momma again. Like any Emmerich film, turn your brain off, become of the lowest common denominator, and enjoy!

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2010, 01:43 PM   #7
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Praetor_Shinzon wrote: View Post
the animated series was good. the movie, not so much. the 98 Godzilla being easily defeated by the true Godzilla was one of the best parts of Godzilla Final Wars.

I agree, the cartoon was amazingly well done, what a Godzilla show should be.

The movie was trash, no plot, horrible action, decent action, ugly Zilla.
Old December 23 2010, 06:46 PM   #8
The Wormhole
Admiral

I remember I didn't see the American Godzilla until several years after its release, so I was well aware of all the negativity surrounding it. So I'm watching it and after the first time the defeat Godzilla, believing the movie over I thought "What the hell was everyone complaining about, that wasn't that bad." Then they fight the baby Godzillas. A bit Jurassic Park, but whatever. Then once they were defeated, Godzilla returns and they have another showdown with him. At this point, I realized exactly why everyone complained about the movie.
Old December 23 2010, 08:35 PM   #9
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

Mr Light wrote: View Post
I loved '98 Godzilla as a kid. Great action scenes, and I liked how first it was Godzilla, then it was the baby dinos, then it was big momma again. Like any Emmerich film, turn your brain off, become of the lowest common denominator, and enjoy!
I'm against entertainment that requires you to dumb yourself down to enjoy it. You do that enough times and you don't come back. That's the whole reason Hollywood is the way it is (not to mention the rest of the media). Hollywood executives are incapable of drawing an audience that's smarter than they are, so they did the opposite: They managed to convince the viewing public that it's okay to be as stupid as they are. And it worked.

Scary, isn't it?
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2010, 08:46 PM   #10
Christopher
Writer

SG-17 wrote: View Post
One problem, its not Godzilla.
True. But I've found that if you don't judge it relative to Godzilla and simply treat it as a self-contained monster movie, it's not bad. I suspect that if they'd simply given it a different title and told exactly the same story, it would be better regarded. It would still be considered a Godzilla knockoff, of course, but hey, Gojira was a knockoff of The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms to begin with.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2010, 09:24 PM   #11
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Yeah, big monster turns up, smashes the hell outta New York and gets defeated by a motley crew, that includes Jean Reno impersonating Elvis. What's not to like? Entertained me for a few hours, even if I've never been in any hurry to see it again.
Old December 23 2010, 10:11 PM   #12
Christopher
Writer

And what's cool about the animated series based on the movie is that it so neatly fits into the same continuity. Most TV series based on movies make changes to the continuity of one sort or another. Starman retconned the events of the movie to have taken place over a decade earlier; Stargate SG-1 tweaked character names and backstories and modified some of the movie's concepts; Men in Black: The Series (from the same producers as Godzilla: The Series) ignored Agent K's retirement and made Agent L more experienced than J. The Real Ghostbusters actually treated the movie as a film made within its universe, based on actual events. But G:TS can be almost perfectly reconciled with the movie; the only inconsistency is a tiny one, a difference in the timing of events at the very end of the movie. Aside from that, they can easily be treated as a single consistent reality, which is almost unprecedented. The animated series even featured two of the actors from the movie reprising their roles. (Though I was surprised that Hank Azaria wasn't among them, given his voice acting experience elsewhere.)

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2010, 11:49 PM   #13
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

I remembered thinking the movie was OK, but nothing special. I saw it when I was 11, though, and haven't seen it again. The cartoon series was quite fun. I agree, it did fit in well. I thought they actually did a good job expanding the concept to make it more than the movie ever tried to be.
Old December 24 2010, 12:00 AM   #14
Gojira
Commodore

I am a huge Godzilla fan since I was young in the 1960s. I am a rare individual that really liked the 1998 version. I own it on DVD and have watched it too many times to mention. I do consider it Godzilla in name only due to the fact that the looks of the creature is too far from the original. Now having said that, as a giant monster movie on its own it is a fun movie. Sure it has its flaws, some characters just make me roll my eyes, and the scenes in Madison Square Garden drag the movie to a crawl, all in all it is a fun movie to watch.

I am really looking forward to the 2012 reboot of Godzilla.
Old December 24 2010, 01:27 AM   #15
SicOne
Commodore

^ 2012 reboot of Big G? Do tell!

Are we talking about a reboot of Toho's Godzilla, or of the Emmerich Godzilla?
SicOne is offline   Reply With Quote