Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old March 23 2011, 12:46 AM   #1
JessicaInSFca
Cadet

Help with Star Trek Original Series FURNITURE/CHAIRS???

I'll start by saying that I am not a fan of Star Trek and I know absolutely nothing about the show.

I recently came across an ad while searching for midcentury furniture on craigslist for a chair.

It's advertised as the model that was used in the first episodes of the Star Trek Tv series.

Ive never watched the show and was wondering if anyone recognized the chair as I cant find any videos of it on youtube.

Picture from the ad is attached.

Cheers!
- J.

JessicaInSFca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2011, 03:06 AM   #2
ngc7293
Commander

Re: Help with Star Trek Original Series FURNITURE/CHAIRS???

I think it has the trek shape but I believe the cushion was always smooth. Besides, if it was a true set piece, they would be asking an arm and a leg for it.

I always remember Kirk spinning someone around in a chair. This thing looks like it doesn't spin. It also looks like a bucket seat from a car.

Last edited by ngc7293; March 23 2011 at 03:09 AM. Reason: details, details
ngc7293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2011, 05:20 AM   #3
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

That's not from the series, no. The chairs used in the original Star Trek were modified Burke chairs. The first pilot used the Burkes in their unmodified state. While this chair looks cool, it has never to my knowledge been used on any Trek series. If the seller is claiming it's from the show, they're either uninformed or lying.
Old March 23 2011, 05:29 AM   #4
AstroSmurf
Vice Admiral

Something similar was used in some off-ship sets but I can't remember exactly where and when. It may have been in the episode with Gary Seven but my memory is not as sharp as it once was.

Edit to Add: I was wrong. I was thinking of the sofa in the outer office in "Assignment: Earth". It is black and has a similar upholstery style. But on further reflection I suddenly remembered an episode with a chair like that. They used a similar piece in Mr. Lurry's office on the K-7 station. Koloth even sat in the damn thing.

Check it out...

And just for the record, I am not saying it is the same chair but the same style of chair used on the show. And the seller is wrong in the description. This type was not used in the beginning of the show but showed up in the second season on. Without some proof to its history, I would regard the chair as an ordinary antique rather than a screen used item. Without concrete proof in hand, I wouldn't trust anything a seller tells you.

“Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The bad things don’t always spoil the good things and make them unimportant.” ~ The Doctor

Last edited by AstroSmurf; March 23 2011 at 06:00 AM.
AstroSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2011, 04:13 AM   #5
ngc7293
Commander

AstroSmurf wrote: View Post
They used a similar piece in Mr. Lurry's office on the K-7 station. Koloth even sat in the damn thing.
Just curious if you remember the ep. did the seat swivel? The original pictures in this post don't look like they do.
Old March 24 2011, 04:21 AM   #6
AstroSmurf
Vice Admiral

^ I don't remember. From the look of the base I doubt that it did.

“Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The bad things don’t always spoil the good things and make them unimportant.” ~ The Doctor
Old March 24 2011, 04:38 AM   #7
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

Wow, I would love to have the chair regardless of whether it's a prop. That's great detective work AstroSmurf, very cool.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2011, 10:43 AM   #8
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

Something similar was used in some off-ship sets but I can't remember exactly where and when. It may have been in the episode with Gary Seven but my memory is not as sharp as it once was.

Edit to Add: I was wrong. I was thinking of the sofa in the outer office in "Assignment: Earth". It is black and has a similar upholstery style. But on further reflection I suddenly remembered an episode with a chair like that. They used a similar piece in Mr. Lurry's office on the K-7 station. Koloth even sat in the damn thing.

Check it out...

And just for the record, I am not saying it is the same chair but the same style of chair used on the show. And the seller is wrong in the description. This type was not used in the beginning of the show but showed up in the second season on. Without some proof to its history, I would regard the chair as an ordinary antique rather than a screen used item. Without concrete proof in hand, I wouldn't trust anything a seller tells you.
Wow.
Looks like the same damn chair to me.
Old March 25 2011, 05:15 PM   #9
Too Much Fun
Commodore

ngc7293 wrote: View Post
They used a similar piece in Mr. Lurry's office on the K-7 station. Koloth even sat in the damn thing.
Just curious if you remember the ep. did the seat swivel? The original pictures in this post don't look like they do.
On the off-chance that anyone doesn't know or is wondering what episode that still is from, it's called "The Trouble with Tribbles".
Too Much Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2011, 06:01 PM   #10
AstroSmurf
Vice Admiral

I forgot to mention that didn't I. I think I may have misunderstood ngc7293's post too. I assumed that period after "ep" was for the abbreviation and not the end of a sentence.

But yes, that screencap is from "The Trouble with Tribbles".

Old March 26 2011, 08:34 AM   #11
JessicaInSFca
Cadet

WOW Thank you guys so much!
That is definitely the chair.
The person selling it isnt advertising it as an actual set piece, rather simply as the same model chair. Now, I'm going to see if he will negotiate a lower price as its currently out of my price range

Check it out...

JessicaInSFca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2011, 09:10 PM   #12
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

I remember reading David Gerrold's "Making of the TV Episode" book. The prop master had to rent lots of unusual office chairs for this episode, mainly to dress the bar set. Scattered around the same set during the fight scene were Paramount-owned chairs, breakaway prop chairs and not-to-be-damaged rented chairs. Made the choreography of the fight scene a challenge.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2011, 07:21 AM   #13
WillsBabe
Vice Admiral

Great detective work, Astro! I bet now when watch that scene all I'm going to be able to look at is "the chair"!

WillsBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2012, 11:33 PM   #14
Dewlanna
Cadet

My parents had a set of these chairs when I was younger & my brother inherited them. The chairs do swivel. I wish I still had them.
Dewlanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2012, 05:40 PM   #15
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

That is from the episode "A Piece of Tribbles' Last Battlefield Beauty." DEFinitely get the blu-ray version, if you were going to ask - and I know you were - the effects are SO much better. You can see the seam in the tribbles' hairpiece.