TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Dorn To Voice Firefly Character

No ALS Ice Bucket For Saldana

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Rate Indistinguishable From Magic
Outstanding 47 29.01%
Above Average 61 37.65%
Average 25 15.43%
Below Average 15 9.26%
Poor 14 8.64%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 1 2011, 08:39 PM   #91
Truth
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: Star Trek: TNG: Indistinguishable From Magic Review Thread

question, i was looking at the ships on star trek online, and noticed the luna class was listed , that got me thinking , does that mean if that the other ships listed can be used, if so i think that would be great, becasue i find alot of the var ships to be intresting, that and it would allow writers to introduce new classes , with out having to invent new ships.
Truth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2011, 08:46 PM   #92
shanejayell
Captain

Uh, wha?

Wrong thread, maybe?
Old April 1 2011, 08:46 PM   #93
mbruno
Lieutenant

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
It's not an error, just an example of a person, as most people do, rounding to the nearest multiple of ten while talking.
Ah, I thought that might have been the case, but wasn't sure. I'm quite enjoying the book, though.
Old April 1 2011, 09:39 PM   #94
Wally
Lieutenant Commander

Loved it. Easily my favorite since before the whole Typhon Pact started. Finally Geordi got the development he needed and I think it's perfect where he ended up.
First book in a long time that wasn't steeped in politics and such, although there was some. Loved the cool sci-fi ideas on display.
If I had to pick, I would complain that some of the Challenger's crew were fairly underdeveloped, such as Carolan, and that the Tal Shiar Chairman's characterization seemed a little...off. Too soft.
Otherwise, best Star Trek book in a long time and I recommend.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2011, 11:01 PM   #95
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

Just finished. Not a game-changer, this book, but so many of them have been lately that if anything that's in its favor.

There have been so many stories lately about our crews coming up against impossible situations, apocalypses, irrational political movements, and everything else... It's not that I'm complaining; that may have been my favorite thing about Destiny in the first place, but still. It's nice to be reminded every once in a while that these people are incredibly good at their jobs. This was a sequence of creative and complicated problems that our characters just jumped to and fixed; great fun, not too implausible, and well-situated in current continuity while still being 100% accessible to anyone that'd just picked it up cold.

I did think it would've worked better as two books; parts seemed a little hurried, especially the beginning of part 2, which was exactly where I wanted the pacing to slow a little bit and get some more character stuff on Geordi & Leah.

It's a small thing, though; overall, definitely a nice job all around. Add McIntee to the list (Thorne, Leisner, Bick) that I hope to see more than just one full-length novel from someday.
Thrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2011, 09:06 PM   #96
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

Only three chapters in, so I will ask, what year is the prologue set in, 2161? Shouldn't Taurik be a Lieutenant Commander in this book?
Ronald Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2011, 10:43 PM   #97
BrotherBenny
Rear Admiral

View BrotherBenny's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BrotherBenny Send a message via Yahoo to BrotherBenny

I finished the book a little while ago and have just cruised through the thread.

I give it an 8/10 primarily because of the way the gap was handled and the short, sharp points at the end of the second half (which should have been a full-sized novel on its own) but overall it was a brilliant book.

I liked the new characters introduced and I wonder if a certain CMO will return to her former ship as a doctor or be reassigned to another vessel. I hope this isn't the last we've seen of her.

I did have a question about something that bothered me but I don't remember what it was now. Perhaps it will come back to me.

David, excellent job and I look forward to your next piece.

My blog / My crime stories
BrotherBenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2011, 04:04 AM   #98
Truth
Lieutenant Junior Grade

This for the writer , .. would you want to do a on going novel if pocket book offered.. just wondering that.. this has been the first novel of a new crew i have actually liked since the first new frontier series

Spoiler

Truth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2011, 06:19 AM   #99
ProwlAlpha
Fleet Captain

My only compliant was Nog going from engineering to security, unless he went back and got training in security.

Is the Stormcrow supposed to be a Mogai-class (Valdore) or was there a new type of ship called the Valdore-class with a brand new Valdore?
Old April 3 2011, 09:07 AM   #100
fleetcaptain
Fleet Captain

View fleetcaptain's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to fleetcaptain Send a message via Yahoo to fleetcaptain

I'm almost finished myself. Have really enjoyed this book and cant wait to finish part 2 soon.
fleetcaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2011, 04:37 PM   #101
Lonemagpie
Writer

Truth wrote: View Post
This for the writer , .. would you want to do a on going novel if pocket book offered..
Why not, the money's handy.

No.

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2011, 04:41 PM   #102
Lonemagpie
Writer

ProwlAlpha wrote: View Post
My only compliant was Nog going from engineering to security, unless he went back and got training in security.
we know he did some soldiering in the Dominion War, and most modern services require that their MPs or whatever do two or three years in another branch first - conveniently there's an article on that very subject in the latest Star Trek Magazine...

Is the Stormcrow supposed to be a Mogai-class (Valdore) or was there a new type of ship called the Valdore-class with a brand new Valdore?
The former - Judging by the information online about it, and the designations used, I think Valdore is probably the Starfleet designation for it. (the way that the west had different names for WW2 japanese aircraft types or Soviet stuff than the Japanese and Soviets did.)

And, before anyone asks, yes Tomalak's Fist is meant to be the ship from the 2011 SOTL calendar.

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2011, 05:35 PM   #103
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

And, before anyone asks, yes Tomalak's Fist is meant to be the ship from the 2011 SOTL calendar.
I didn't make that connection. That's a nice piece of background info. Thanks.

It's always nice to have illustrations, so I'm glad you took advantage of the Probert ship.
Old April 3 2011, 06:35 PM   #104
Christopher
Writer

ProwlAlpha wrote: View Post
we know he did some soldiering in the Dominion War, and most modern services require that their MPs or whatever do two or three years in another branch first - conveniently there's an article on that very subject in the latest Star Trek Magazine...
Right. Chekov, Worf, and Tuvok all transferred to security from other departments, so it always surprises me when people react to something like Ranul Keru or Harry Kim moving to security as if it were unprecedented.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2011, 07:07 PM   #105
Elias Vaughn
Captain

Plus, Nog covered Security on DS9 between Odo leaving and Ro arriving, so he has the experience.
Elias Vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote