Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Rate Indistinguishable From Magic
Outstanding 47 29.01%
Above Average 61 37.65%
Average 25 15.43%
Below Average 15 9.26%
Poor 14 8.64%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 25 2011, 08:25 PM   #226
Lonemagpie
Writer

Re: Star Trek: TNG: Indistinguishable From Magic Review Thread

Ronald Held wrote: View Post
It will be some other author's story to tell of his reappearance?
Not necessarily. Maybe I'll do it, maybe someone else will do it, maybe nobody will do it...

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2011, 11:53 PM   #227
ialfan
Fleet Captain

I read this last night at work. Voted Outstanding. It was my favorite Star Trek novel since Full Circle. Loved the pacing (as other's have mentioned), the balance between new and "familiar" characters, etc. It really felt like a couple TNG episodes which was very refreshing.

ialfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2011, 12:07 AM   #228
JonoKyle
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have just finished reading it and I think it was outstanding - it was a shame it was compressed into the one book however I still really enjoyed it.

I really the crew - and really hope they are reunited one day, maybe even as a re-launch of the 'Corps of Engineers' series.
JonoKyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2011, 01:43 AM   #229
Technobuilder
Commodore

I'd love for the Corps of Engineers to step forward and take a staring role in the future of the Treklitverse.
"You fool! You've fallen victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous of which is "Never get involved in a land war in Asia", but only slightly less well known is this - "Never go in against a Sicilian, when death is on the line!"
Technobuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2011, 05:35 PM   #230
Csalem
Commodore

Finished it today. At first didn't like the assemblage of all the known characters on the Challenger but the really got into it, and loved it. Felt like the old-school Trek books which were about adventures and exploration and was a nice break from the more recent stuff like the Typhon Pact.

IIRC there was reference to damage being caused the size of Belgium, or something like that. A Who reference?
Old April 27 2011, 05:41 PM   #231
Lonemagpie
Writer

Csalem wrote: View Post
Finished it today. At first didn't like the assemblage of all the known characters on the Challenger but the really got into it, and loved it. Felt like the old-school Trek books which were about adventures and exploration and was a nice break from the more recent stuff like the Typhon Pact.

IIRC there was reference to damage being caused the size of Belgium, or something like that. A Who reference?
Not consciously - a Hitchhikers reference (though to be fair I guess Moffat was also doing a Hitchhikers reference with it), but I'll grant you there's enough DW lines bouncing around in my head that some are bound to come out even when not intended! (the same goes for the EMH getting a "very very not good" to say, left over from when he was going to be the Mark XI)

There's only one deliberate veiled DW reference in the text and so far nobody's noticed it...

ETA- I love that cat avatar...

Old April 27 2011, 07:24 PM   #232
Csalem
Commodore

^Thanks. Salem rules!
Old April 28 2011, 05:00 AM   #233
Daddy Todd
Captain

About midway through and loving it. Will probably finish it up on a long series of flights Saturday night/Sunday morning from Salt Lake City to Sint Maarten. Looking forward to reading the rest!
Daddy Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2011, 10:29 PM   #234
DEWLine
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to DEWLine Send a message via Yahoo to DEWLine

Astronomy question: When you referred to "G-231", did you actually intend to refer to "Gliese 231"(AKA Alpha Mensae)? I've seen the "G" prefix applied to stars listed in both the Gliess(-Jahreiss) and Giclas catalogues over the years, so there's a possibility of confusion there.

Dwight Williams
Illustrator/Writer
DEWLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2011, 11:26 PM   #235
Lonemagpie
Writer

DEWLine wrote: View Post
Astronomy question: When you referred to "G-231", did you actually intend to refer to "Gliese 231"(AKA Alpha Mensae)? I've seen the "G" prefix applied to stars listed in both the Gliess(-Jahreiss) and Giclas catalogues over the years, so there's a possibility of confusion there.
I don't recall what led me to pick that designation, so I'm not really sure. (it's been a year!)

Old May 2 2011, 02:25 AM   #236
DEWLine
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to DEWLine Send a message via Yahoo to DEWLine

Hmmm.

*nods*

Noting that Pi Mensae seems to fall into (above? below?) Romulan turf per the Star Charts maps...so if you did have Alpha Mensae in mind at first for the stuff that kicks off the story, that would have made a certain amount of map-sense...

Dwight Williams
Illustrator/Writer
DEWLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2011, 09:24 PM   #237
j3067
Lieutenant Commander

I finished the book over the weekend and I really enjoyed it. I rated the book Outstanding. The previous posts from the author cover the minor bones I had to pick with the story.
j3067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2011, 01:24 PM   #238
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

This book didn't work too well for me (a lot of the reasons having been covered in this thread), but I have to say that I loved the Life on Mars reference. I felt a bit obtuse at first because I could feel something was being referred to. I immediately shook off "Dylan Hunt" but then I saw the Manchester and Nelson references and I thought "Duh...brilliant! " From there out, Tyler Hunt was John Simm in my mind. Pity he didn't survive, especially since I thought there was something more than meet's the eye about him.

I also enjoyed the Doctor Who references (Gallifrey as one of the publisher locations and another that I've now forgotten because its been a few weeks since I've read the book).

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2011, 02:12 PM   #239
Christopher
Writer

Emh wrote: View Post
This book didn't work too well for me (a lot of the reasons having been covered in this thread), but I have to say that I loved the Life on Mars reference. I felt a bit obtuse at first because I could feel something was being referred to. I immediately shook off "Dylan Hunt" but then I saw the Manchester and Nelson references and I thought "Duh...brilliant! " From there out, Tyler Hunt was John Simm in my mind.
Not having seen the UK Life on Mars, I missed that. I actually "cast" David Tennant in the part in my head.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2011, 04:02 PM   #240
Lonemagpie
Writer

I do tend to "cast" my books, and, yes, Tyler Hunt is supposed to be played by John Simm. Sadly there wasn't a role for Philip Glenister - that'll have to wait for another time, I guess.