Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old March 6 2010, 02:56 AM   #1
Warped9
Admiral

TOS Class F3 shuttlecraft....almost forgotten.

I'd almost forgotten about this. This was my last proposal for a "real" TOS version of the high-speed scoutship we saw in TAS' "Slaver Weapon." But real life interfered and this entire project is about a year behind schedule.

Man, I gotta get this going again.

Warped9 wrote: View Post

From this point onward I'm designating this design a Class F3 since it is a variant of an existing platform.

BTW, Phil Broad has been gracious enough to host this project on his site:
http://cloudster.com/Sets&Vehicles/S...ebvrePlans.htm

And here is the concept I had previously.
A snapshot of incremental progress. All the major elements are in place (excepting the still to be drawn forward landing assembly and the nacelle support struts) and the overall design established. I still want to play with the leading and trailing edges of the stabilizer/supports as I'm not really satisfied with it as is. Beyond this it's mostly detailing, the final being the signage.

I rather like how it looks kinda TAS from the top, TOS from the front and back and an amalgam of both from the side. And the nacelles have a hint of TMP to them. Candidly I was somewhat skeptical initially that I could come up with something decent looking within such a tight size constraint.

I'm also considering integrating running lights into the stabilizers and a bow light on the leading edge of the bow. And rather than having the aft access hatch dead centre in the rear I'm thinking of offsetting it to one side.
Old March 6 2010, 05:31 AM   #2
AJBryant
Fleet Captain

Re: TOS Class F3 shuttlecraft....almost forgotten.

Lookin cool so far.

The only door, then, is in the aft? Interesting.
Abba Anthony [St. Anthony the Great] said, "A time is coming when men will go mad, and when they see someone who is not mad, they will attack him, saying, 'You are mad; you are not like us.' " -- Wisdom of the Desert Fathers
AJBryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2010, 05:39 AM   #3
Warped9
Admiral

^^ Well the TAS Copernicus only had the aft hatch and the TOS Galileo type only had the one side hatch so I'm being consistent.
Old March 6 2010, 06:15 AM   #4
judexavier
Commander

Wow. Always loved your work, and the thought behind it. (I may have to borrow your dark blue-on-white diagram style...I really like that Always fascinating. That bottom concept in progress is really nice...love to see how you develop it.
judexavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2010, 08:03 AM   #5
Ziz
Commodore

AJBryant wrote: View Post
Lookin cool so far.

The only door, then, is in the aft? Interesting.
^^ Well the TAS Copernicus only had the aft hatch and the TOS Galileo type only had the one side hatch so I'm being consistent.
Kirk ordered it that way. He always liked going in the rear. Ask any of the women he's been with.

Old March 6 2010, 02:29 PM   #6
Warped9
Admiral

judexavier wrote: View Post
That bottom concept in progress is really nice...love to see how you develop it.
Actually the curvier bottom concept was the initial idea that I abandoned for the more angular design. I felt the curvy design looked too TMP and not enough TOS and I wanted something that bridged the two periods more recognizably. Looking at it, though, it might be worthwhile to further the design. Or I might simply keep it on file for some more original non Trek future project.
Old March 6 2010, 06:55 PM   #7
Sarvek
Fleet Captain

Welcome back. I have always loved your designs. They make a great deal of sense and look real cool.

I have also favored your bottom initial design and had hoped to see where it would go.
Sarvek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2010, 08:39 PM   #8
Warped9
Admiral

I haven't forgotten about this. It's just that real life intervenes.

Anyway I've been thinking about this recently and doing some quick sketches. My current thinking is to revisit the TAS design yet with a slightly different perspective. I still want to make it look more believable while retaining something of its appearance, but it does require rethinking some elements.

- We see a forward viewport on the TAS design and then a long bow section. Trying to stick to that always upsizes the design. I'm thinking that the top section with the viewport at the fore really isn't a viewport at all, but perhaps some sensor array. I did much the same thing with the forward window panels on the exterior of the Class F. With that in mind I can fashion a main hull (roughly similar to what I've posted upthread) and then add a small section on top that from a distance could be mistaken for a series of rather thin viewports set high in the ceiling.

No matter what I do the final design will be shorter and a bit stubbier than the TAS rendering. It has to be because it can't be done any other way and still fit into a starship hangar. So what I'm presently contemplating is something somewhat similar to what you see below but a bit sleeker.

Old November 7 2010, 09:20 PM   #9
Nero's Shadow
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Nero's Shadow

Love your work warped9 I'm still building one of your shuttles this one will be also on my list great work !!!!
Old November 7 2010, 11:38 PM   #10
Warped9
Admiral

Thanks. There are aspects of the above design I like very much, but I think I can do better.
Old November 7 2010, 11:43 PM   #11
BolianAuthor
Writer, Battlestar Urantia

Send a message via AIM to BolianAuthor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BolianAuthor

I'd still love to see that concept fully fleshed out... I think it has mucho potential. IDK... if you don't wanna do it, is it okay if I have a go at it?

I agree that I would love to see your shuttle projects moving along again!
BolianAuthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2010, 12:04 AM   #12
Patrickivan
Fleet Captain

I really like this. Hopefully you keep it simple with the nacelle connection...

40 Years and ticking. Damn, that's too old fashioned.
40 years and still processing!
Patrickivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2010, 04:10 AM   #13
timelord1010
Captain

I always wondered why the shuttles always had the nacelles below instead of in a high position where they would avoid damage from below or from rough landings.
Also, most starships ( at least most starfleet ships) have the nacelles in a high position.
timelord1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2010, 04:15 AM   #14
Warped9
Admiral

We can assume the shuttlecraft are more rugged than they look. And the design does have a practical aspect in that the gangway hatch doesn't have to reach to the ground as the nacelle itself serves as a form of step. You can also access the nacelles more easily for service and repair if they're low to the ground as opposed to high up over your head.
Old November 14 2010, 11:55 PM   #15
Warped9
Admiral

From the very beginning the challenge of making the TAS design "real" was having something more reasonably sized yet still resembled what we saw onscreen. I've come to the conclusion that you either do something quite different with little resemblance, have something homely looking or just plain forget about it.

But it's just possible I've hit on something. The image below is a blown up sketch of what I have in mind. Essentially the cabin viewports are slimmed down and taken as a sensor array atop the main hull. The craft has no actual forward viewports, but rather a main display like the bridge of the Enterprise that simulates a viewport (as well as being an information display). The idea is similar to what I did with the Class F shuttlecraft. This approach allows me to come up with a design more reasonably sized while creating an illusion of a craft with small viewports and an oversized bow section.

Well that's the approach I'm taking and I rather like it. And note that I have sketched the heavy lander design in a similar fashion (but not shown here).

The other reason I'm inclined to ignore the big forward viewport is because it doesn't seem to really fit the TOS universe. And it looks rather odd. Now I'm only estimating at this point, but this design will still fit into the hangar bay although only for rendezvous purposes. It should be about the same height overall as a Class F while being distinctly longer and wider, but not too much.

Last edited by Warped9; November 15 2010 at 01:11 AM.
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote