RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,678
Members: 24,827
Currently online: 545
Newest member: Sb118_James

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 23 2012, 02:16 AM   #1381
Mr Light
Admiral

Re: THE HOBBIT (2012/2013): News, Rumors, Pics Till Release

This is a little off-topic, but I'm re-reading LOTR and I'm at the start of ROTK and I came across a Gandalf quote I absolutely did not remember and I think it's my all time favorite line from him:

The rule of no realm is mine, neither of Gondor not any other, great or small. But all worthy things that are in peril as the world now stands, those are my care. And for my part, I shall not wholly fail of my task, though Gondor should perish, if anything passes through this night that can still grow fair or bear fruit and flower again in days to come. For I also am a steward. Did you not know?

He says this to Denethor when he says he is the Steward of Gondor and not him. Was this in the Extended Edition? It's a beautiful, and bad ass, quote!

Mr Light is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2012, 04:09 AM   #1382
JD
Admiral

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
The first trailer for The Two Towers started showing in the latter part of the run for Fellowship, and was shown at the end of the credits. This was maybe in January following its release. I saw the trailer when I saw Fellowship for my umpteeth time at a second run theater, when the manager told me he'd attach the new trailer to it.
I'm pretty sure they did that for both TTT and ROK during the main release. I was hoping they would do that here too, but apparently not.
Old December 23 2012, 04:16 PM   #1383
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Just for fun, Yahoo! imagines the Rankin-Bass Christmas special that never was -- The Hobbit: An Unexpected Christmas.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25 2012, 02:14 PM   #1384
Mr Light
Admiral

So I'm reading the ROTK Appendix right now and I'm wonder what new scenes they'll put into the movies to link it further to the LOTR Trilogy?

I forgot that Gandalf basically disappears from the novel after Beorn. So I guess he won't even see the Company in Movie Two and it will just show him and the White Council attacking Dol Guldor.

What further linking material can go into Movie Three? I'm guessing we'll see Sauron arriving at Barad Dur and commencing its reconstruction, and Mount Doom bursting into flames. They should show Saurman using the palantir and becoming ensnared by Sauron. If Viggo is appearing in it, Gandalf and Aragorn meeting and hunting for Gollum. We could see Aragorn and the Rangers setting a silent watch on the Shire, with hapless Bilbo playing with his Ring. Maybe it could end with Gollum entering Morodor, getting caught, and giving up Baggins?

Old December 25 2012, 02:38 PM   #1385
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Mr Light wrote: View Post
I forgot that Gandalf basically disappears from the novel after Beorn. So I guess he won't even see the Company in Movie Two and it will just show him and the White Council attacking Dol Guldor.
Highly unlikely considering the second film is subtitled The Desolation of Smaug. I think Dol Gudlur will play a major part of the film but it will hardly be the only aspect (or the leading focus) of the film.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25 2012, 06:26 PM   #1386
Mr Light
Admiral

Obviously I mean Dol Guldor will be the subplot of Movie 2, and the main plot will be Beorn - spiders - elves - Laketown - Smaug.

I just finished reading Hobbit this morning! I wonder if Movie 3 will actually be only two hours or so. Because from the death of Smaug to the end of the book is only 50 pages. And if Dol Guldor takes place in Movie 2, what else can you throw in but little bits like I mentioned above?

So, what does everyone think would be the best FINAL scene of Movie 3?

My vote would be Mount Doom bursting into flames as a tortured Gollum cries out "Shire! Baggins!". Yes, we already saw it, but it's the perfect ominous note to directly link the Hobbit with LOTR. And I'd like to actually see the phantom form of Sauron (as we saw in Movie 1) with his four fingers looming over Golllum.

I don't think it should end on a happy Bilbo in the Shire scene. I think it should end on a straight lead-in to LOTR.

Old December 25 2012, 06:58 PM   #1387
Skywalker
Admiral

I don't think it'll end on a straight lead-up to LOTR. This is The Hobbit. At the end of the day it's the story of Bilbo Baggins. The events of the movie take place sixty years before FOTR even begins. In the first trailer (before the duology became a trilogy) we saw Gandalf exploring a dark fortress (likely Dol Guldur) and getting into a fight with someone (not going to mention his name to avoid spoilers), so I think that'll be in DoS.

There's only fifty pages between the death of Smaug and the end of the book, but there's a lot of material in there to cover. If DoS doesn't include all of the battle at Dol Guldur then there will be that to wrap up, and there will also be the aftermath of Smaug's attack on Lake-town. Bilbo has to discover the Arkenstone, then the Wood-elves and the Men of Lake-town claim Erebor's treasure and put it under siege, Bilbo sneaks out to speak to Bard, Gandalf returns, then Dáin shows up with his army of Dwarves and the Orcs show up, and the Battle of Five Armies begins. Then there's the aftermath of the battle, and Bilbo's journey back to the Shire through Beorn's home and Rivendell, and then his having to deal with what happened to Bag End while he was gone. That's more than enough for the third movie to cover without having to bother with any unnecessary LOTR tie-ins.

Besides, I think if they're going to do anything with Aragorn in his pre-LOTR days, it would be in its own movie (there actually is enough material in the Appendices for that, with some expansion for dialogue and such of course).
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25 2012, 07:12 PM   #1388
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Hanukkah Solo wrote: View Post
I don't think it'll end on a straight lead-up to LOTR.
In a way it will, since we all know that the entire story of "The Hobbit" is a very long flashback which takes place right at the beginning of "Lord of the Rings". When the movie ends, old Bilbo just joins the birthday party and Fellowship begins.
Old December 25 2012, 07:32 PM   #1389
Skywalker
Admiral

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Hanukkah Solo wrote: View Post
I don't think it'll end on a straight lead-up to LOTR.
In a way it will, since we all know that the entire story of "The Hobbit" is a very long flashback which takes place right at the beginning of "Lord of the Rings". When the movie ends, old Bilbo just joins the birthday party and Fellowship begins.
Well, yeah. Aside from that.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25 2012, 08:07 PM   #1390
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

We see Bilbo writing There And Back Again at the beginning of Fellowship, and when he meets Frodo again in Rivendell, he finished it. So I guess that's how they will integrate it into the Hobbit films.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25 2012, 11:50 PM   #1391
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

Also, I'm still not convinced that Film 2 ends with Smaug's final moments. It would seem a bit much to introduce (in an explicit sense), then dispose of, his character all in one film - particularly when there's another film to be had. Heck, that'd mean Azog would have a much longer arc than Smaug (he will, in any case, but if Smaug has no appearance in Film 3, the contrast will be all the greater).
Old December 26 2012, 02:03 AM   #1392
Mr Light
Admiral

Well in the book Smaug is basically only in three scenes; first Bilbo conversation, second conversation, and his rampaging death.

Old December 26 2012, 03:33 AM   #1393
Evil Twin
Rear Admiral

Film 3 ends with Balin and his expedition deep within Moria, the Balrog appears, and Balin, doing his best G.O.B. Bluth impression: "I've made a horrible mistake." *cut to black*
Old December 26 2012, 03:50 AM   #1394
Mr Light
Admiral

I hadn't thought of that, but they should totally do that! I'd love to see Balin waking the Balrog! Maybe they can do a little montage at the end showing all these intersititals

Old December 26 2012, 04:11 PM   #1395
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

I'd bet they are going to do things like Balin's fate and other events that lead into Lord of the Rings in a beautiful montage sequence with great music and a profound voice over by either Bilbo, Gandalf or Galadriel.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote