Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 20 2012, 09:03 AM   #1006
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile
Re: THE HOBBIT (2012/2013): News, Rumors, Pics Till Release

Emh wrote: View Post
Wargs done properly!
I was quite fond of the LOTR Wargs. For me this big bad wolves thing is a step back.
Old September 20 2012, 10:05 AM   #1007
mswood
Rear Admiral

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
He rewarded himself with King Kong, a mere vanity project... now he has a huge vanity project that will take up three films. Sadly, it could be an awesome movie... uh, movies, but -let's not forget, it's strictly a vanity project every bit as much as Kong was, or every bit as much as Superman Returns was for Bryan Singer. Vanity projects almost never age well, and often stand out as odd eggs on otherwise decent director resumes.
All films age, and most the vast majority don't age well.

And here is something people judge vanity projects and say oh this or that didn't work (when in fact you can actually do that to pretty much every film in creation, as is there anything in the motion Picture universe where every aspect of a film production is done without error or the possibility of someone else not doing some aspects better.

If Singer had done Superman Returns without having his love of the Donnor films, you do understand that the film Superman Returns could have been a much worse film.

In King Kong, out of his mainstream films, his two date two dream based projects King Kong and LoTR have far better critical reception then his other modern project.

We have several examples of films (superman films) Kong Films that are dramatically worse. If those people didn't have the love for the project just think instead of being hampered by that love, they might have turned out far worse material.

You and me don't know that, nor can we state with any authority whatsoever that those projects are worse due to the film makers really wanting to do them, as opposed to another project that they just might take for the job.
Old September 20 2012, 10:09 AM   #1008
mswood
Rear Admiral

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Wargs done properly!
I was quite fond of the LOTR Wargs. For me this big bad wolves thing is a step back.

The original production make no secret of how disappointed they were in the Wargs of Two Towers. Both in design and ina ctual use.

Actual use because they never properly planned out the Warg battle, I don't remember what it was about the design but I have read several things mentioning the design element of it as well, and that might also be tied to the quick we have to get these done, and we didn't actually plan it out like most of the rest of the larger sequences.

They had a few other scenes like that in the films, but most of those had some modifications done in pickups to polish them up, I don't think they did any pickups for the Warg sequence.
Old September 20 2012, 10:10 AM   #1009
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

mswood wrote: View Post
If Singer had done Superman Returns without having his love of the Donnor films, you do understand that the film Superman Returns could have been a much worse film.
I understand that it is within the realm of possibilities, yes, but I can't imagine how it could have been worse, let alone "much worse".
Old September 20 2012, 01:15 PM   #1010
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Wargs done properly!
But they weren't "Wargs." I actually got confused by them because I remembered the Wolf-Wargs but didn't remember the big beast things. Although it's at least reconcilable either way because these are smaller Wargs for Goblins.

ETA: I believe this was a change that Benecio del Toro wanted, fwiw.
Old September 20 2012, 06:47 PM   #1011
Wereghost
Commodore

Wargs done properly!
I thought the Warg attack was just incredible - virtuoso filmmaking. But the design of the beasts themselves was arguably lacking. They were touted as huge f***-off bear-wolves where you'd "die of fright" if you encountered one, but that didn't seem to really come across on screen. Maybe it's that they were too shaggy to be as intimidating as they could have been, or something.
Old September 20 2012, 09:35 PM   #1012
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Eh, now that there's going to be 3 films, they might include Balin's fate after all.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2012, 10:09 PM   #1013
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

I don't think they're going to extend the timeline beyond the movie timeline all the way to the death of Balin.
Old September 21 2012, 05:42 AM   #1014
mswood
Rear Admiral

mswood wrote: View Post
I understand that it is within the realm of possibilities, yes, but I can't imagine how it could have been worse, let alone "much worse".
I find Returns to be the 2nd best of the Superman Films I have seen with 2 of them being some of the worst films I saw the year they were released, so I have no problem thinking that a film can significantly worse. Same applies for King Kong with the Jackson being far better then the worst of that concept. And both of the films are films that both various user groups or even critics in general find to be bad or even average films, just not really god or great films.
Old September 21 2012, 05:51 AM   #1015
mswood
Rear Admiral

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
I don't think they're going to extend the timeline beyond the movie timeline all the way to the death of Balin.
Clearly that isn't the case since the framing of this story is set at the beginning of the Fellowship of the Ring, and that is (especially with the compressing of time it took between Bilbo & Frodo's birthday and the start of Frodo's journey in the film series) almost certain to be after the fall of Moria.

But since the framing of the story is to have Bilbo telling Frodo (or writing it down in "There and Back, Again, A Hobbit's Tale"), he wouldn't be aware of Balin's ultimate fate.

So regardless it shouldn't be part of the film.

Scrawny71
I thought the Warg attack was just incredible - virtuoso filmmaking.
That's funny because they didn't have the attack planned out when they filmed the plates of it, so basically they just had all the actors to a lot of faking being attacked, and then just tried to make a full scene out of that rough footage. As a sequence it is probably the most done on the fly part of all three films.
Old September 21 2012, 07:01 AM   #1016
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Never had a problem withe the warg battle. It was a huge, frantic, confusing mess. Just like a real battle would be.

As for their look, they struck me as being based on primitive ancestors of wolves, Just like most of Mordors other beasts of burden
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2012, 10:57 AM   #1017
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

Wait, what?

Its going to be a trilogy?
Drago-Kazov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2012, 11:14 AM   #1018
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

Cutter John wrote: View Post
Never had a problem withe the warg battle. It was a huge, frantic, confusing mess. Just like a real battle would be.

As for their look, they struck me as being based on primitive ancestors of wolves, Just like most of Mordors other beasts of burden
They were shaped like hyenas. I thought they were giant hyenas.
Old September 21 2012, 12:27 PM   #1019
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

Deckerd wrote: View Post
They were shaped like hyenas. I thought they were giant hyenas.
Yeah, that was the intention, wasn't it? Terrific idea.
Old September 21 2012, 01:03 PM   #1020
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Cutter John wrote: View Post

I look at it the other way around, that is to say the wargs we saw in LotR were more of a mongrel breed out of Mordor (maybe crossed with some hyena-like Haradrim beast) while the Hobbit ones are the Angband thoroughbreds.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote