Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 1 2012, 01:49 AM   #856
mswood
Rear Admiral

Re: THE HOBBIT (2012/2013): News, Rumors, Pics Till Release

Beyond Antares wrote: View Post
The Lord of the Rings: 1157 pages and 3 movies.

The Hobbit: 300 pages...and 3 movies?
Yeah three films that Jackson would have loved to release longer. The fact that it's 11 hours for three films tells you ech is close to two full films.

And huge chunks of the books weren't shown ( some with good reason) the other just to keep it were he could to one film. Remember this was a make it or break it event for the studio just getting three films approved was extremely difficult.

Done today they probably would have actually done more.
Old August 1 2012, 01:57 AM   #857
mswood
Rear Admiral

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
DigificWriter wrote: View Post
Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
OK, LOTR I could understand - it's huge, split into three volumes, etc. But, the Hobbit? Fuck off - it's not that long or deep that it would take three long movies to do. 90 minutes should have covered it nicely. Really, this is just taking the piss to stretch out the lifespan of the cash-cow, isn't it?
The idea that this is being done for monetary reasons doesn't hold water because Peter, Fran, and Philippa came up with the idea of doing a third movie, not the studios.
Yeah, cos writers and directors do it all for free?
No and he is well paid, but he has also ( with Kong) helped finance it out of his pocket to get the type of film he wanted (heard between ten and twenty million he fronted universal).

That's hardly the act of someone who picks projects just to earn a paycheck.
Old August 1 2012, 04:41 AM   #858
InklingStar
Fleet Captain

View InklingStar's Twitter Profile

This worries me. The very best parts of Jackson's LotR were when he stuck with Tolkien's story and dialogue. Very few scenes that are straight from the books failed, while very few scenes that were added by Jackson, Walsh, and Boyens really worked. (With notable exceptions - Boromir's death, for example.)

To add in the Dol Guldur stuff, they were already going to have to create quite a few scenes and dialogue out of thin air. To fill out a third movie they will have to write even more. That worries me.
Old August 1 2012, 05:37 AM   #859
Saul
Rear Admiral

Maybe the Orc and Dwarf War will be included? If you are sticking in indexed stuff that's something I would put in. But all the extras from LOTRs would mean the film would have to jump around a bit.
Old August 1 2012, 08:14 AM   #860
Magellan
Lieutenant Commander

This has really killed my excitement for these movies. Two was already stretching it. It just isn't a long book. I can only explain this with Peter Jackson's gratuitous use of slow motion to create false drama.
Magellan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2012, 12:49 PM   #861
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Magellan wrote: View Post
This has really killed my excitement for these movies. Two was already stretching it. It just isn't a long book. I can only explain this with Peter Jackson's gratuitous use of slow motion to create false drama.
LOL, yes, they turn one film into 3 films because everything is in slow motion.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2012, 02:26 PM   #862
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

InklingStar wrote: View Post
Very few scenes that are straight from the books failed, while very few scenes that were added by Jackson, Walsh, and Boyens really worked. (With notable exceptions - Boromir's death, for example.)
That was in the books.
Old August 1 2012, 07:40 PM   #863
davejames
Vice Admiral

SalvorHardin wrote: View Post
No one says each Hobbit movie is going to be that long.
Yeah but if Jackson had that kind of self-control and restraint, he probably wouldn't be pushing to make these into 3 movies in the FIRST place.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2012, 07:58 PM   #864
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

davejames wrote: View Post
Yeah but if Jackson had that kind of self-control and restraint, he probably wouldn't be pushing to make these into 3 movies in the FIRST place.
Methinks the internet could use some of that, I see too much panic & doom predictions going around. Especially since Jackson has all the inside info on these films, which we don't.
The man has more than proved himself when it comes to adapting Tolkien material. Maybe he actually knows what he's doing.

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2012, 08:07 PM   #865
Reverend
Rear Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
Methinks the internet could use some of that, I see too much panic & doom predictions going around. Especially since Jackson has all the inside info on these films, which we don't.
The man has more than proved himself when it comes to adapting Tolkien material. Maybe he actually knows what he's doing.
Do you mean to suggest that a professional film-maker who's made himself a millionaire producing, directing and co-writing his own projects and founded some of the most sought after FX companies in the business might know more about his job than a bunch of over opinionated nerds on the internet? Preposterous!!
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2012, 08:58 PM   #866
Saul
Rear Admiral

I was reading on another site that Jackson would have to get started on a script for a third movie soon. But this script is basically a lot of pick up scenes right? Since they've already filmed the Hobbit story beginning to end...
Old August 1 2012, 09:27 PM   #867
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Saul wrote: View Post
I was reading on another site that Jackson would have to get started on a script for a third movie soon. But this script is basically a lot of pick up scenes right? Since they've already filmed the Hobbit story beginning to end...
Yes, but those pick-up scenes need to be written.

What it sounds like to me is a re-edit with reshoots to fill the places where the narrative is thin. This suggests to me that Jackson isn't repeating the mistake he made in the Lord of the Rings trilogy where he didn't edit all three films at once so he didn't realize that Saruman's fall at the beginning of ROTK didn't fit anywhere until it was too late to do anything about it. This appears to be a case where Jackson has seen in the editing room that An Unexpected Journey is unbalanced and he can't fully fix it unless he has more room to work with.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2012, 12:36 AM   #868
InklingStar
Fleet Captain

View InklingStar's Twitter Profile

Set Harth wrote: View Post
InklingStar wrote: View Post
Very few scenes that are straight from the books failed, while very few scenes that were added by Jackson, Walsh, and Boyens really worked. (With notable exceptions - Boromir's death, for example.)
That was in the books.
The battle that killed Boromir was offscreen, so to speak, in the books.
Old August 2 2012, 12:40 AM   #869
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

But Boromir's death wasn't.
Old August 2 2012, 02:40 AM   #870
Brandonv
Fleet Captain

Beyond Antares wrote: View Post
The Lord of the Rings: 1157 pages and 3 movies.

The Hobbit: 300 pages...and 3 movies?
"I feel... thin. Sort of stretched, like... butter scraped over too much bread." - Bilbo Baggins
Brandonv is offline   Reply With Quote