RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,678
Members: 24,827
Currently online: 486
Newest member: Sb118_James

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 27 2012, 10:51 AM   #766
AvBaur
Captain

View AvBaur's Twitter Profile
Re: THE HOBBIT (2012/2013): News, Rumors, Pics Till Release

Well, they can make it in 2043, after the copyright runs out.
Old July 27 2012, 11:37 AM   #767
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Emh wrote: View Post
That was only because of smaller issues. New Line always had the rights to film The Hobbit but they won't be able to film The Silmarillion as long as Christopher Tolkien is alive.
Not to put too fine a point on it, but isn't Christopher Tolkien in his late 80s...?

Regardless, I REALLY don't see 'The Silmarillion' as being a particularly viable candidate for a cinematic adaptation. It'd be like adapting the entirety of the Old Testament. Most of it's pretty dry and what little drama there is is really only sketched out. Reading that book requires a *lot* of imagination.

I've said this several times before (probably in this very thread at some point) but I maintain that (rights issues aside) the best way to adapt any significant portion of 'The Silmarillion' would be in the form of an anthology of animated short in the vein of 'The Animatrix' or 'Gotham Knight' with different studios/art styles for the different tales.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2012, 01:41 PM   #768
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

I agree filming it in its entirety is too much, but there are definitely some interesting stories to be told, particularly Feanor.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2012, 02:24 PM   #769
superdeluxe
Captain

The staff at the one ring net give their thoughts on the footage at comic con, obvious spoilers, but it is safe to say that they loved what they saw:

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2012...bbit-showreel/

Star Trek 250+ million or Bust!
superdeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2012, 11:13 PM   #770
JD
Admiral

Skywalker wrote: View Post
None, since the Tolkien Estate isn't budging on the film rights.
What's Tolkein's issue with Jackson? I saw another thing somewhere that said the Tolkein estate hated the LOTR movies. I honestly, thought this was rather surprising, because I think they were probably the closest we'd ever be able to get on film. It's not like they made any huge changes drastic changes or anything. At least not any more than what most book adaptations do.
Old July 28 2012, 11:51 PM   #771
Wereghost
Commodore

^ The simple and unvarnished truth is that Christopher Tolkien appears to have an enormous stick up his butt. Kudos to him for what involvement he had with The Children Of Húrin, though; that was a classic work of fiction.
Old July 29 2012, 04:28 AM   #772
InklingStar
Fleet Captain

View InklingStar's Twitter Profile

It seems that Christopher Tolkien shares his father's view that faithfully transferring the story to film is simply impossible. JRR Tolkien only sold the movie rights because he needed the money.
Old July 29 2012, 04:41 AM   #773
Gojira
Commodore

InklingStar wrote: View Post
It seems that Christopher Tolkien shares his father's view that faithfully transferring the story to film is simply impossible. JRR Tolkien only sold the movie rights because he needed the money.
Books and Film are two different media in which to tell a story and I am surprised that some people have expectations that a film will be just like the book. They are just setting themselves up for disappointment in my opinion. I think it is possible to venture too far from the spirit of a book but for the most part a film will be a different interpretation of a story.
Old July 29 2012, 12:43 PM   #774
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

InklingStar wrote: View Post
The problem lies with the word "faithfully". What is faithful? Word for word, scene for scene? Or a film that transports the meanings and themes? I'd say that Jackson's Lord of the Rings did a really good job at this.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2012, 04:29 PM   #775
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Some old farts just don't like movies. It's their right.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2012, 04:38 PM   #776
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

After The Hobbit, I hope Peter Jackson tackles The Catcher in the Rye as a trilogy of three interconnected 3-hour films in smell-o-vision, with Andy Serkis playing Holden Caulfield as a CGI puppet.
Old July 29 2012, 05:40 PM   #777
Gaith
Rear Admiral

^ Well, there is related/extended material to work with there, as well...
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2012, 05:57 PM   #778
Jax
Admiral

And they'd be wrong.
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2012, 09:05 PM   #779
RoJoHen
Awesome

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
After The Hobbit, I hope Peter Jackson tackles The Catcher in the Rye as a trilogy of three interconnected 3-hour films in smell-o-vision, with Andy Serkis playing Holden Caulfield as a CGI puppet.
Well, I'm certainly intrigued.
Old July 29 2012, 11:23 PM   #780
stj
Rear Admiral

The Conanesque swordplay and The Frighteners ghosts alone are two reasons for the Tolkien family to dislike the Jackson movies. The omission of the Old Forest and Tom Bombadil could reasonably offend someone with an emotional investment in the book, the whole book and nothing but the book. Jackson did remarkably well in adapting The Lord of the Rings, a novel that proves rules about good writing can be broken to good effect. But these were childhood stories for Christopher Tolkien. Nostalgia is a powerful set of lenses.