RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,697
Members: 24,830
Currently online: 492
Newest member: honeybadger

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 14 2011, 04:30 PM   #61
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Re: THE HOBBIT (2012/2013): News, Rumors, Pics Till Release

I know it's a bit too early but I think Peter Jackson will sweep the Oscars again.

The return of the king!
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2011, 05:00 PM   #62
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Just watched the video and it felt just like watching the appendices on the LoTR box set! I am so pumped to see this movie! Can't wait!
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2011, 07:52 PM   #63
coolghoul
Fleet Captain

Thanks for that youtube link. It's amazing how well they have managed to recreate everything and it's all *real* set. I would've thought most would be CGI -esp. Rivendell but all that was really done! (Probably redone - since it's probably not very easy to reassemble from the earlier film).

Amazing.

I think they should have let Edoras and Meduseld stand on that hill (that we see in that amazing shot in LOTR: TTT). These sets look sturdy.
Old April 15 2011, 01:20 AM   #64
Tulin
Vice Admiral

^ I have been to Mt Sunday and trust me, besides being VERY windy up there, it is private property. Not sure the owner would've wanted a fortress sitting atop his own private mountain for thousands of people to trample up daily. As it was, as per his request, they had to build a special construct over a pile of stones that signified the burial place of the owner's beloved dog. The site obviously means a lot to him and I think he wanted it relatively private.
Tulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2011, 01:22 AM   #65
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

Yeah, as much as it would be cool to have monuments to the LOTR films ... I think leaving behind a number of permanent sets would not only interfere with the natural beauty of New Zealand, but would also be somewhat contrary to Tolkien's overall message in the books.
Old April 15 2011, 01:31 AM   #66
Neroon
Mod of balance

I finally got to watch it and.... I am utterly speechless with encouragement
- Proverbs 12:20
Neroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2011, 06:29 AM   #67
Skywalker
Admiral

That was sweeeeet.

The LOTR movies were kind of a defining moment in my youth, and it just made me so incredibly happy to watch PJ walking around, visiting the various sets, checking out the costumes, and interacting with so many familiar (and new) faces. I really feel like they're going to knock these movies out of the park.

I can't wait for the next video.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2011, 11:33 AM   #68
Neroon
Mod of balance

I enjoyed the ceremony, as well. It shows once again the close relationship PJ's crew seems to have with the locals, the respect for the people and land, all of which worked so well in creating LOTR to begin with. Especially nice to see Martin Freeman highlighted in his comments.
- Proverbs 12:20
Neroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2011, 09:52 PM   #69
mic of orion
Commander

looking forward to hobbit, and love how pj lost so much weight, he looks really healthy now!

Benjamin Franklin
mic of orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2011, 09:57 PM   #70
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

It's like the crew never left. Like I said up top, The Hobbit will probably sweep the Oscars.
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2011, 04:59 AM   #71
IndyJones
Vice Admiral

I just saw the video on another site, it makes me so happy. I feel like a kid.

Can't wait to see this!
Travel's fatal to prejudice, bigotry, narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things can't be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's life.
IndyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2011, 01:50 AM   #72
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Man, Sean O'Neal of the AV Club is hilarious:

Ian Holm is also returning for The Hobbit

When Peter Jackson said that he was bringing every possible actor he could find from the Lord Of The Rings trilogy into The Hobbit out of some deep-seated fear that without their comforting presence, audiences would somehow dismiss it, thereby sending him into a shame spiral of binge eating that would cause him to regain all the weight he’s lost—actually, wait, Peter Jackson didn’t say this. These were our own cynical conclusions, based entirely on the fact that The Hobbit is increasingly turning into some sort of Middle Earth high school reunion. Not that there’s anything wrong with that, of course; some bleed-over is to be expected, even if some of Jackson’s efforts to ensure the films link up lately feel strangely compulsive.

Anyway, the newest LOTR actor confirmed to return is Ian Holm, who will reprise his role as the elder Bilbo Baggins, despite the fact that The Hobbit already has a Bilbo Baggins— namely Martin Freeman, who seems increasingly lucky to be getting any screen time at all.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2011, 04:22 AM   #73
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

^I clicked on that link and had to read the article to figure out that it's a dude in the picture. This is what women want?
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2011, 05:39 AM   #74
IndyJones
Vice Admiral

^In this case, the women were right. That dude is awesome!
Travel's fatal to prejudice, bigotry, narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things can't be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's life.
IndyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2011, 10:10 AM   #75
Candlelight
Admiral

From Peter Jackson:

I am sad to report that Rob Kazinsky, who was cast in the role of Fili, is having to leave The Hobbit and return home, for personal reasons. Rob has been terrific to work with and his enthusiasm and infectious sense of humour will be missed by all of us. I should say that Rob's departure will not affect ongoing filming of The Hobbit, nor will it impact work done to date, as we had yet to film much of Fili's storyline. At the moment we are shooting scenes featuring Bilbo without the Dwarves, which will give us time to find a new Fili. I'll keep everyone posted with updates as they come.
Cheers,
Peter J