Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 24 2011, 05:55 AM   #541
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Re: THE HOBBIT (2012/2013): News, Rumors, Pics Till Release

While interesting, it's still tangential. The question is what Pipe Weed is supposed to be. Given the way it's set up, it seems to be a reference to tobacco, it's just complicated by an inconsistent approach to his universe. There's nothing to suggest it has any properties of a cannabinoid at all.
Old December 24 2011, 05:57 AM   #542
mswood
Rear Admiral

Crassmass Eve wrote: View Post
A marathon of stories without women except for one shieldmaiden, an elf who had to be written in from the footnotes and a walk-on part for the elf queen.
Not a problem in the slightest. I can watch Band if Brothers for example and not be moan the lack of women characters that are prominent in their quest, why should I here.

I for one wouldn't complain about reading say a long wonder women story set back during the two thousand years of isolation from both man's world and their gods, and not be bothered by the lack of men in that story.

Why would I apply modern sensibilities to materials that were drawn for a different age. It's like reading Tom Sawyer and not having race be an issue. And it's not like that in both film versions they didn't expand female roles that weren't a part of the original work.
Old December 24 2011, 06:23 AM   #543
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
what's in Tolkien's work should be reflective of what was possible in Europe circa 7,000 BCE. And tobacco and potatoes were no more possible in Europe circa 7,000 BCE than were express trains.
Were Balrogs and magic invisibility rings possible in Europe circa 7,000 BCE?

Allyn Gibson wrote:
(Also, since you edited in Merry's theory, it doesn't actually work. According to the maps, there was no equivalent of North and South America prior to the sinking of Numenor and the change of the world from flat to spherical. Without the Americas, there no place for tobacco and potatoes to come from.)
How can Merry's theory not work in-universe, as a theory of where pipe-weed comes from? To put it another way, given all the other changes in understanding that would be required in order to interpret the past of Arda as actual prehistory, wouldn't the true origin of tobacco be relatively minor by comparison?

Last edited by Set Harth; December 24 2011 at 06:36 AM.
Set Harth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2011, 06:35 AM   #544
FordSVT
Vice Admiral

Production video #5. On location shooting, Hobbiton, more.
Old December 24 2011, 06:46 AM   #545
InklingStar
Fleet Captain

View InklingStar's Twitter Profile

Set Harth wrote: View Post
Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
what's in Tolkien's work should be reflective of what was possible in Europe circa 7,000 BCE. And tobacco and potatoes were no more possible in Europe circa 7,000 BCE than were express trains.
Were Balrogs and magic invisibility rings possible in Europe circa 7,000 BCE?

Allyn Gibson wrote:
(Also, since you edited in Merry's theory, it doesn't actually work. According to the maps, there was no equivalent of North and South America prior to the sinking of Numenor and the change of the world from flat to spherical. Without the Americas, there no place for tobacco and potatoes to come from.)
How can Merry's theory not work in-universe, as a theory of where pipe-weed comes from? To put it another way, given all the other changes in understanding that would be required in order to interpret the past of Arda as actual prehistory, wouldn't the true origin of tobacco be relatively minor by comparison?
Tobacco existed in ancient Europe, but the hobbits smoked it all.
Old December 24 2011, 07:08 AM   #546
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Then something smoked all the Hobbits.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2011, 07:27 AM   #547
Capt_Pickirk
Fleet Captain

Gothowitz wrote: View Post
was Pipe-weed that "funny weed"
Would explain why Merry and Pippin have the munchies in that one scene in the extended edition of The Two Towers.

RIP Doctor Who 1963-1996
Capt_Pickirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2011, 07:45 AM   #548
Skywalker
Admiral

Capt_Pickirk wrote: View Post
Gothowitz wrote: View Post
was Pipe-weed that "funny weed"
Would explain why Merry and Pippin have the munchies in that one scene in the extended edition of The Two Towers.
They're hobbits. They always have the munchies.
Skywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2011, 09:55 AM   #549
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

mswood wrote: View Post
A marathon of stories without women except for one shieldmaiden, an elf who had to be written in from the footnotes and a walk-on part for the elf queen.
Not a problem in the slightest. I can watch Band if Brothers for example and not be moan the lack of women characters that are prominent in their quest, why should I here.
Band of Brothers is about an army unit in the Second World War. The screaming inconsistency would have been if there had been any women. Had it been about wartime France as a whole, however, and but one woman played a pivotal role, you have to wonder about the blinkers the writer was wearing.
Old December 24 2011, 11:19 AM   #550
Gothowitz
Lieutenant Commander

FordSVT wrote: View Post
Production video #5. On location shooting, Hobbiton, more.
Woot! Thanks for the heads-up!

ETA: So now Hobbiton will be a permanent tour-site after the movies?
I wanna ride the Smaugcoaster.

They should just rename Wellington as Hobbitwood.
Gothowitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2011, 11:32 AM   #551
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Further in-depth frame-by-frame analysis of the trailer by folks at TORN.

I have to admit I never noticed the differences in Gandalf's staff but I like the suggestion that its actually alive and is slowly "blooming."

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2011, 12:49 PM   #552
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

Those production videos always seem to do a great job of conveying just how special this production is for everyone involved. That dedication worked for the LOTR films - there's a great chance that it'll work for the Hobbit films, too.

Also, from that frame-by-frame analysis:
"1:48 – 2:01 : heroic version of the melody used for the song (just sung) – this indicates to me the melody will be a theme, probably a major one, in the vein of the Shire Theme and the Fellowship Theme in LOTR"
I really hope that this will be a primary theme in the score. It sounds incredible. Is there yet any confirmation that the cue was composed by Howard Shore?
Old December 24 2011, 12:55 PM   #553
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

More than likely considering he, like so many others from the Lord of the Rings production, has returned for The Hobbit.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2011, 12:55 PM   #554
Skywalker
Admiral

We know Howard Shore is back for the films, and that theme definitely does sound like his work. It sounds like it could have come right out of LOTR.

I think it will be one of the main themes, yeah. Probably akin to the Fellowship's theme in LOTR.
Skywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2011, 03:45 PM   #555
FordSVT
Vice Admiral

mswood wrote: View Post
Band of Brothers is about an army unit in the Second World War. The screaming inconsistency would have been if there had been any women. Had it been about wartime France as a whole, however, and but one woman played a pivotal role, you have to wonder about the blinkers the writer was wearing.
Good thing the Hobbit isn't about Wartime France then.