RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,721
Members: 24,211
Currently online: 730
Newest member: dmhp32

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 25 2011, 02:37 AM   #151
Skywalker
Admiral

Re: THE HOBBIT (2012/2013): News, Rumors, Pics Till Release

They are adding in additional scenes expanding Gandalf's storyline and detailing his meetings with the White Council, and the White Council assaulting Sauron's hideout Dol Guldur, thus sending Sauron retreating back to Barad-dur.

They can't add anything from The Silmarillion, though, because they don't have the film rights to it.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2011, 02:43 AM   #152
timothy
Rear Admiral

View timothy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
Are they still doing this stupid splitting it up into 2 movies thing? Considering The Hobbit is shorter than any 1 of the Lord of the Rings books and each of them only merited 1 film each, I don't see why this is necessary. Not unless they add in load of extra crap from the other books. (I've heard some rumors that a lot of Silmarillion material is going to be included as well.)

I think this splitting books up is starting to be a bad habit. Certainly Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows was a bad test case, since damn near nothing happens in the entirety of Part 1!

the hobbit maybe shorter than any of the books in the series. but it has the greatest of battles. in my opinion.
and deathly hollows would've been a six hour epic if not split in two parts.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/honorverse
timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2011, 02:59 AM   #153
Candlelight
Admiral

Are they still doing this stupid splitting it up into 2 movies thing? Considering The Hobbit is shorter than any 1 of the Lord of the Rings books and each of them only merited 1 film each, I don't see why this is necessary. Not unless they add in load of extra crap from the other books. (I've heard some rumors that a lot of Silmarillion material is going to be included as well.)
Elijah Wood is supposed to appear as Frodo at some stage.

He's not even in the friggin' book!!
Old May 25 2011, 03:00 AM   #154
RoJoHen
Awesome

Seriously?

That's pretty retarded.
Old May 25 2011, 03:09 AM   #155
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Cocaine is a hell of a drug.
Old May 25 2011, 03:15 AM   #156
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

timothy wrote: View Post
and deathly hollows would've been a six hour epic if not split in two parts.
Bullshit. All of the entertaining bits of The Deathly Hallows, Part 1 could have been condensed to about 15 minutes worth of material in a larger unified Deathly Hallows movie.

The problem we seem to be running into is that movies aren't being made for the benefit of moviegoers anymore. They're being made to satisfy the nitpicky demands of fans who have already read the book. This is true with Harry Potter, Twilight, even Atlas Shrugged.
Old May 25 2011, 03:15 AM   #157
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

Set Harth wrote: View Post
Cocaine is a hell of a drug.
So THAT'S how Jackson lost all that weight!
Old May 25 2011, 03:42 AM   #158
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Seriously?

That's pretty retarded.
Fan theory (which I agree with) is that the films will be bookended by scenes with Ian Holm as older Bilbo reading "There and Back Again" to young Frodo.

More on the Benedict Cumberbatch casting

With Benedict Cumberbatch unofficially joining the cast of The Hobbit, early reports suggests he will be the voice for Smaug.Early reports suggest Cumberbatch will voice the dragon character Smaug but the actor refused to specify his role, insisting, “I can’t say at the moment, thank you very much.”

A red-faced Freeman later told reporters, “I knew I was a sort of a big mouth but I didn’t realize to what extent I was a big mouth, and I’ve just ruined everything. I might not actually go back to a job – they might have just sacked (fired) me.”
We might not get to see Freeman and Cumberbatch interact face-to-face, but I can already imagine the verbal squabble between the two as Bilbo and Smaug. Bring it on!

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2011, 03:53 AM   #159
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

The problem we seem to be running into is that movies aren't being made for the benefit of moviegoers anymore.
Of course not. They're being made for the purpose of raking in as much money as possible. Those who are hollow on the inside can never have enough money.
Old May 25 2011, 08:15 AM   #160
Capt_Pickirk
Fleet Captain

Emh wrote: View Post
RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Seriously?

That's pretty retarded.
Fan theory (which I agree with) is that the films will be bookended by scenes with Ian Holm as older Bilbo reading "There and Back Again" to young Frodo.

More on the Benedict Cumberbatch casting

With Benedict Cumberbatch unofficially joining the cast of The Hobbit, early reports suggests he will be the voice for Smaug.Early reports suggest Cumberbatch will voice the dragon character Smaug but the actor refused to specify his role, insisting, “I can’t say at the moment, thank you very much.”

A red-faced Freeman later told reporters, “I knew I was a sort of a big mouth but I didn’t realize to what extent I was a big mouth, and I’ve just ruined everything. I might not actually go back to a job – they might have just sacked (fired) me.”
We might not get to see Freeman and Cumberbatch interact face-to-face, but I can already imagine the verbal squabble between the two as Bilbo and Smaug. Bring it on!
So, no Nimoy then...

I can live with Cumberbatch though.

RIP Doctor Who 1963-1996
Capt_Pickirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2011, 08:55 AM   #161
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Yeah, I was pretty excited about the notion of Leonard Nimoy as Smaug, but Benedict Cumberbatch is a very good second choice.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2011, 08:17 PM   #162
Saul
Rear Admiral

Benedict Cumberbatch matches closely the voice of Smaug in my mind more than Nimoy who reminds me of Galvatron.
Old May 25 2011, 11:56 PM   #163
timothy
Rear Admiral

View timothy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

to bad orson wells is dead he would be perfect. my vote is leonard nimoy.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/honorverse
timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2011, 12:40 AM   #164
Wereghost
Someone's dog

Michael Sheen might have been a good choice, too. I'm just throwing that in there based on his recent voice work on Doctor Who.
Old May 26 2011, 12:42 AM   #165
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

My vote was John Hurt. Oh well.