RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,670
Posts: 5,212,590
Members: 24,197
Currently online: 575
Newest member: Trek's Offender


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old October 1 2013, 06:27 PM   #1516
Relayer1
Commodore
 
Relayer1's Avatar
 
Location: The Black Country, England
Re: THE HOBBIT (2012/2013): News, Rumors, Pics Till Release

Amazon UK are preselling The Hobbit Extended 5 disc Bluray set for only £15 (that's less than the ordinary version) - Zavvi and Play are charging way more. Mistake ?


http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Hobbit-U...eywords=hobbit
__________________
Soon oh soon the light, Pass within and soothe this endless night, And wait here for you, Our reason to be here...
Relayer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2013, 05:55 AM   #1517
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral
 
auntiehill's Avatar
 
Location: hillsville
Re: THE HOBBIT (2012/2013): News, Rumors, Pics Till Release

I can't wait to see this!
auntiehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2013, 06:10 AM   #1518
JD
Admiral
 
JD's Avatar
 
Location: Arizona, USA
Re: THE HOBBIT (2012/2013): News, Rumors, Pics Till Release

Awesome trailer. I was glad to see more of the Elves, and Cumberbatch sounds great as Smaug.
__________________
Over the course of many encounters and many years, I have successfully developed a standard operating procedure for dealing with big, nasty monsters. Run away. Me and Monty Python.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2013, 05:53 PM   #1519
Klaus
Rear Admiral
 
Klaus's Avatar
 
Location: Beach condo, Bay of Eldamar
View Klaus's Twitter Profile
Re: THE HOBBIT (2012/2013): News, Rumors, Pics Till Release

__________________
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
t-shirts!
deviantArt
Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2013, 07:02 PM   #1520
Relayer1
Commodore
 
Relayer1's Avatar
 
Location: The Black Country, England
Re: THE HOBBIT (2012/2013): News, Rumors, Pics Till Release

Amazon UK are still preselling The Hobbit Extended 5 disc Bluray set for only £15 and now they're selling all the Game of Thrones Kindle e-books for £0.99 each !
__________________
Soon oh soon the light, Pass within and soothe this endless night, And wait here for you, Our reason to be here...
Relayer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2013, 02:26 PM   #1521
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral
 
DarthPipes's Avatar
 
Re: THE HOBBIT (2012/2013): News, Rumors, Pics Till Release

Is Bilbo supposed to be the star of this movie? Judging by the trailer and especially by a TV spot I saw last night (a lot of Legolas in a cliched love story surrounded by really fake looking CGI), it doesn't appear that way. Proving that Jackson was full of shit when he said that he made The Hobbit a trilogy so that the "full story of Bilbo Baggins" could be told.

I really want to be excited about this film but because of the garbage that was the last film, I can't. Middle-Earth looks so completely fake now with the nonstop and really awful CGI. Peter Jackson has become the thing that fanboys hate the most...George Lucas.

Then you have Thorin Oakenshield. I thought he might be a breakout character when I saw the first trailer but he's a brooding fucking bore with no charisma whatsoever and this trailer just reaffirmed that. Another three-plus hours of watching him brood his way through another film with a grumpy look on his face the entire time. Borin Oakenshield is a better name for this absolute bore of a character.

So we'll be treated to another bad CGI snoozefest with The Hobbit The Desolation of Smaug, all so Peter Jackson can celebrate his now-awful flimmaking ability and make another three hour plus movie. This film will basically be three hours of Peter Jackson masturbating onscreen.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2013, 02:33 PM   #1522
Set Harth
Rear Admiral
 
Set Harth's Avatar
 
Location: Gallifrey Falls
Re: THE HOBBIT (2012/2013): News, Rumors, Pics Till Release

Don't be coy. Tell us how you really feel.
__________________
"In the future... do I make it?"
"No."
Set Harth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2013, 03:40 PM   #1523
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation
 
Alidar Jarok's Avatar
 
Location: Arlington, VA
Re: THE HOBBIT (2012/2013): News, Rumors, Pics Till Release

Well, I understand that it was made a trilogy so the Dol Guldur story could be told, not Bilbo's story (which is difficult to pull off in one film, but probably could be done in two). Legolas seems to have a couple scenes in the trailers, but, unless the TV spots are different, it's not a significant part of the trailer. Bilbo's got his spider slaying scenes and his interaction with Smaug. I'm curious to see how they handle his character since the "becoming confident and respected" part got pushed ahead to the Out of the Frying Pan part.
__________________
When on Romulus, Do as the Romulans
Alidar Jarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2013, 05:02 PM   #1524
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: THE HOBBIT (2012/2013): News, Rumors, Pics Till Release

DarthPipes wrote: View Post
Is Bilbo supposed to be the star of this movie? Judging by the trailer and especially by a TV spot I saw last night (a lot of Legolas in a cliched love story surrounded by really fake looking CGI), it doesn't appear that way. Proving that Jackson was full of shit when he said that he made The Hobbit a trilogy so that the "full story of Bilbo Baggins" could be told.

I really want to be excited about this film but because of the garbage that was the last film, I can't. Middle-Earth looks so completely fake now with the nonstop and really awful CGI. Peter Jackson has become the thing that fanboys hate the most...George Lucas.

Then you have Thorin Oakenshield. I thought he might be a breakout character when I saw the first trailer but he's a brooding fucking bore with no charisma whatsoever and this trailer just reaffirmed that. Another three-plus hours of watching him brood his way through another film with a grumpy look on his face the entire time. Borin Oakenshield is a better name for this absolute bore of a character.

So we'll be treated to another bad CGI snoozefest with The Hobbit The Desolation of Smaug, all so Peter Jackson can celebrate his now-awful flimmaking ability and make another three hour plus movie. This film will basically be three hours of Peter Jackson masturbating onscreen.
Last time I checked, the previous Lord of the Rings films were CGI fests as well, and most of the effects didn't look that good, or at least not realistic.
__________________
lol
l
/\
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2013, 05:28 PM   #1525
DalekJim
Fleet Captain
 
DalekJim's Avatar
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: THE HOBBIT (2012/2013): News, Rumors, Pics Till Release

The CGI in Jackson's LOTR films was incredibly well done. It put the Star Wars prequels to complete shame, and was much better implemented than what we saw in The Hobbit.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2013, 06:54 PM   #1526
RoJoHen
Awesome
 
RoJoHen's Avatar
 
Location: QC, IL, USA
Re: THE HOBBIT (2012/2013): News, Rumors, Pics Till Release

The funny thing about these movies is that the Necromancer side-story is now the one I am interested in. I honestly couldn't care less about Bilbo and the Dwarves.
__________________
I am the Quintessential Admiral.
RoJoHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2013, 07:13 PM   #1527
flavaflav
Commander
 
flavaflav's Avatar
 
Location: Illadelph
Re: THE HOBBIT (2012/2013): News, Rumors, Pics Till Release

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
The funny thing about these movies is that the Necromancer side-story is now the one I am interested in. I honestly couldn't care less about Bilbo and the Dwarves.

Agreed! This is the one reason I liked the fact that the book got split up into more than one movie. It allows the Necromancer story to be fully told.
flavaflav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2013, 08:06 PM   #1528
DalekJim
Fleet Captain
 
DalekJim's Avatar
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: THE HOBBIT (2012/2013): News, Rumors, Pics Till Release

I think it kinda kills the pace of the original Tolkien book, as it changes a picaresque children's adventure novel in to a lesser version of Lord of the Rings.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2013, 08:08 PM   #1529
RoJoHen
Awesome
 
RoJoHen's Avatar
 
Location: QC, IL, USA
Re: THE HOBBIT (2012/2013): News, Rumors, Pics Till Release

DalekJim wrote: View Post
I think it kinda kills the pace of the original Tolkien book, as it changes a picaresque children's adventure novel in to a lesser version of Lord of the Rings.
Well, for what it's worth, I have the same problem with the novel. I didn't like reading The Hobbit because it was too much of a children's book.
__________________
I am the Quintessential Admiral.
RoJoHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2013, 08:13 PM   #1530
DalekJim
Fleet Captain
 
DalekJim's Avatar
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: THE HOBBIT (2012/2013): News, Rumors, Pics Till Release

Well, I think it's perfect children's literature and not weighty enough to be padded out this much. I liked the first film, but had to look past a lot of lame stuff Jackson had added. On the other hand, I find his Fellowship of the Ring adaptation to be largely flawless.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
hobbit, lord of the rings, peter jackson, tolkien

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:23 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.