Quinto TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Mar 26

Shatner Remembers Nimoy
By: T'Bonz on Mar 26

Star Trek Delta Coin Pouches
By: T'Bonz on Mar 25

Takei Museum Fundraiser In Progress
By: T'Bonz on Mar 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old March 19 2011, 11:05 PM   #31
Tarek71
Commander

Re: Daedalus Era Uniforms

Okay. Added some breast patches on the engineering and science uniforms. Still looking wonky, but they still give the basic idea. I slapped an Enterprise patch on the science uniform. I havent designed a Daedalus patch yet. Not sure what I think of the patch on there. It looks ok, but havent decided whether thats still part of the uniform in this era.

Tarek71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2011, 12:00 AM   #32
Wingsley
Commodore

I like the execution on this uniform, but I think it needs a little more of Archer's "There Are the Voyages..." special uniform in it. Maybe it's just me, but when I think of pre-TOS, I can't help but to think of turtlenecks. I like how Archer's speech uniform captured just a slight hint of Pike.
Old March 20 2011, 06:42 AM   #33
Maurice
Vice Admiral

View Maurice's Twitter Profile

Kaziarl wrote: View Post
I dunno, that UESPA uniform looks more like it would be a lead in between TMP and TWOK.
Which would be funny since it was based on the TOS dress uniforms and the belt off the 2nd season wraparound tunic.
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2011, 07:16 AM   #34
Kaziarl
Commodore

I don't doubt thats the case. But I also see a similarity to the TWOK uniform, although I'm not sure if that was ever a full wraparound uniform or if it just had a flap in the front.

Just an observation, thats all. One that means little since with either intent, I still like the way it looks.
Old March 20 2011, 08:18 PM   #35
Johnnymuffintop
Commander

Send a message via AIM to Johnnymuffintop Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Johnnymuffintop Send a message via Yahoo to Johnnymuffintop

I like it, reminds me a lot of these: http://bunk2.deviantart.com/art/Trek-new-crew-68491852
And yeah, it would have been nice if the Kelvin uniforms had a hint of ENT flair to it, but I'll just have to enjoy some good concepts if I can't see it on screen.
Johnnymuffintop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2011, 08:54 PM   #36
Tarek71
Commander

Johnnymuffintop wrote: View Post
I like it, reminds me a lot of these: http://bunk2.deviantart.com/art/Trek-new-crew-68491852
And yeah, it would have been nice if the Kelvin uniforms had a hint of ENT flair to it, but I'll just have to enjoy some good concepts if I can't see it on screen.
The Kelvin ones I just put to one side as far as the color schemes. For me it was enough that the styles arent completely clashing. The impression I got watching the movie was that the Kelvin colors were something like:

Blue = Command
Green = Engineering?
Copper?= Science? Not sure.
White= Medical (these werent just lab coats, they seemed to be wearing white uniforms. )

I think there were other colors, but it was hard to make out with the lighting, etc.

I wont even try to harmonize these with anything that came before or since. Again, I think the TMP influence was there in a general sense in terms of having things like command officers wearing blue (sometimes), and having colors you havent seen in any other incarnation of trek, like various browns, copper-y,rust-y colors, etc. Which is fine I guess, I just think the ones Ive designed here make a better bridge and certainly better for the 2160's to 2190's and maybe into the early 2200's. I would have had these as Captain April era uniforms as well, but I would stop short of 2233 in deference to the Kelvin uniforms.

Last edited by Tarek71; March 20 2011 at 09:46 PM.
Old March 20 2011, 10:43 PM   #37
Cicero
Admiral

The colors were:

Blue (slightly teal): Command (including Tactical)
Gray: unknown (2nd picture)
Green/Gold/Brown: Engineering (and Security or Science?)
White: Medical

According to the Intel website for the movie, at least one gray-uniformed crew member was a security officer. Green/Gold/Brown and Blue uniforms in normal lighting.
Old March 20 2011, 11:11 PM   #38
Tarek71
Commander

Cicero wrote: View Post
The colors were:

Blue (slightly teal): Command (including Tactical)
Gray: unknown (2nd picture)
Green/gold/brown: Engineering (and Security or Science?)
White: Medical

According to the Intel website for the movie, at least one gray-uniformed crew member was a security officer. Green/gold/brown and Blue uniforms in normal lighting.
That seems about right. There are some apparent auction photos of some costumes as well. Also in better lighting. I read a Michael Kaplan (costume designer) explanation, and its not a good one.

He references wanting to give the audience a sense of the passage of time between the 2230's and the 2250's. He did this he said by doing research into 1950's science fiction movies, and giving the Kelvin uniforms a suitably retro treatment with those influences in mind.

Hmmmm.

Interesting as Forbidden Planet and other such fare are, I would not watch those to get an idea of what previous Trek uniforms would have looked like. Since there was Trek set earlier than 2233 that should have been the focus of the research, not Captain Video or Buck Rogers. Its not clear that Enterprise was even a consideration. How all this relates to the color choices is not clear. Why green for engineers? Did that seem retro, or was the color assignments just based on his random preferences? Did JJ tell him to change them around? I dont know.

For the other uniforms, obviously other research was done. The TOS uniforms were obviously very close to the orignals, and the TMP uniform for Kirk was used for Pike.

Beyond that, I think its best to assume in-universe that the Kelvin uniforms were a brief and inexplicable complete color switcheroo that occured only in the 2230's and were abandoned immediately after. That leaves the uniform evolution otherwise untouched and rational.

Last edited by Tarek71; March 21 2011 at 04:21 AM.
Old March 20 2011, 11:27 PM   #39
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

You know, the thing about these is that, while attractive in appearance, they don't look either comfortable or easy to move in. Perhaps you could make these something like a formal mess uniform?

Remember how Picard was always pulling down his uniform front?

Of all the various uniform seen, the TOS uniform always seem the easiest to move in, therefor the most practical
For hand to hand combat even the TOS mini's would be better than a tight jacket or a jumpsuit. Less constricting.

Ensign Ro- wrote: View Post

... the designs I mentioned ...
If these don't grab rating points for series six, nothing will.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2011, 04:44 AM   #40
Ensign Ro-
Commander

View Ensign Ro-'s Twitter Profile

... the designs I mentioned ...
If these don't grab rating points for series six, nothing will.

[/QUOTE]

LOL. T-Girl...yeah, I designed those for a motion comic. I wanted to "sex it up" a bit. I guess I'll just have to make sure I map those motions tastefully. :-)
Ensign Ro- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2011, 11:03 PM   #41
Tarek71
Commander

T'Girl wrote: View Post
You know, the thing about these is that, while attractive in appearance, they don't look either comfortable or easy to move in. Perhaps you could make these something like a formal mess uniform?
My renderings dont give the best sense of it. The real things would be cargo like pants and a fairly light, loose top. I dont think they would pose any comfort or movement issues.

Last edited by Tarek71; March 22 2011 at 02:44 AM.
Old March 21 2011, 11:10 PM   #42
Tarek71
Commander

LOL. T-Girl...yeah, I designed those for a motion comic. I wanted to "sex it up" a bit. I guess I'll just have to make sure I map those motions tastefully. :-)
I like them. Maybe they can be combined. Daedalus Era: Sexed Up. It could happen :-)
Old March 22 2011, 02:09 AM   #43
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

I've always liked the idea of evolving the Enterprise jumpsuits into jackets, and the undershirts into turtlenecks, which eventually become the standard duty uniform.

In my attempt at a 2220s/30s uniform design, I went with a devolution from the uniforms and away jackets we saw in The Cage and thought that perhaps the Jackets were at one time standard and only later became for away missions, or that perhaps the higher ranking officers might wear something similar. I always thought the Bridge Crew (who are the face of the federation for all intents and purposes) could look a bit spiffier than the security guards and engineers and whatnot else filling the ship.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29 2011, 06:53 AM   #44
Tarek71
Commander

Added some NuTrek Style breast patches. Not sure what I think of that. They look ok. More tinkering needed on that.
Old March 30 2011, 04:50 AM   #45
cathouse_joe
Ensign

I love ~these~ ones without a lot of insignia except the rank pips. I could see these for Starfleet Transport Command, (freighters, tugs, repair tenders, personnel transports, etc.) in the TNG Relaunch / Titan era.
cathouse_joe is offline   Reply With Quote