The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 12 2012, 09:09 PM   #76
Harvey
Admiral

Re: David Slade Will Direct Daredevil for Fox

Unless the script is a complete mess, I suspect they'll just hire a hack director (or maybe a brilliant director, although given the compressed schedule and the lack of input a director gets on this sort of thing, it probably won't make a difference) and get it before the cameras by their deadline.

I'd be very surprised if the film didn't get made and the rights reverted. More plausible: the film is made, it's a complete mess, it doesn't make any money, the rights eventually revert to Marvel.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2012, 09:43 PM   #77
Dream
Admiral

Harvey wrote: View Post
I'd be very surprised if the film didn't get made and the rights reverted.
Blade, Hulk, and Punisher have reverted back to Marvel. It already happened with other characters.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2012, 09:47 PM   #78
Harvey
Admiral

Yeah, but Punisher reverted after the property was adapted twice, the first time to okay results, the second time to poor results. I suspect the same thing could happen here. In neither the case of Blade nor Punisher was a movie as along in pre-production as the Daredevil film is here.

Old July 12 2012, 09:51 PM   #79
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Yeah, but Punisher reverted after the property was adapted twice, the first time to okay results, the second time to poor results.
The other way round, surely.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2012, 09:52 PM   #80
Dream
Admiral

It'll depend on how badly FOX wants to keep the Daredevil rights.

No talanted or famous director would ever sign up for this movie since it looks like it will be a total rush job;

FOX can certainly hire an unknown director cheap, but the product will suffer.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2012, 09:56 PM   #81
Harvey
Admiral

Shazam! wrote: View Post
Yeah, but Punisher reverted after the property was adapted twice, the first time to okay results, the second time to poor results.
Sorry, I was speaking in terms of box office. I've seen neither film (nor the Lundgren version).

Old July 12 2012, 09:56 PM   #82
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Did you see Punisher War Zone? Granted I enjoy it as a guilty pleasure for being the most comic book-esque by using Jigsaw but I'd never pretend it's a good overall film. Has it's moments at best.
The Dolph Lungren film, which actually doesn't count for North America as it wasn't released here theatrically, is a rather fun film in that 80's era way. Slapping a skull symbol on him would've done wonders. The drunk ex-thespian is the real sore thumb of the film imo.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2012, 09:57 PM   #83
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
Did you see Punisher War Zone? Granted I enjoy it as a guilty pleasure for being the most comic book-esque by using Jigsaw but I'd never pretend it's a good overall film. Has it's moments at best.
The Thomas Jane version has no moments at all.

Sorry, I was speaking in terms of box office. I've seen neither film (nor the Lundgren version).
Ah, right. War Zone is worth checking out for guilty pleasure reasons.
Old July 12 2012, 10:01 PM   #84
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

The Thomas Jane version has no moments at all.
Unless your a fan of Garth Ennis, which I'm not. Quite a bit of that film owes it's adaptability to his early '00 run on the book.
Overall I find it a toss up to peg which of the 3 Punisher films I like best since all three managed to take what should be one of the easiest characters to adapt and completely turn out a mediocre product.
Which Hulk do I like best? easy answer
Which Spider-man...? easy answer
Which Batman...? easy answer.

Punisher...not really sure.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2012, 10:05 PM   #85
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Unless your a fan of Garth Ennis, which I'm not. Quite a bit of that film owes it's adaptability to his early '00 run on the book.
It's because I'm a fan of Garth Ennis that I don't like it.
Old July 13 2012, 01:26 AM   #86
Kai "the spy"
Commodore

.... Aaanyway, I wonder wether FOX also has the rights to do a DD TV show. At this point, I'd actually rather have them hire David E. Kelley to do DD for TV. Think about it, it'd be like "The Practice" with a noirish superhero in it.

"Fanwankery is what 21st century pop entertainment's all about."
cooleddie74

Kai "the spy" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2012, 01:27 AM   #87
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

^ I would watch that show!
Admiral James Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2012, 02:03 AM   #88
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Kai "the spy" wrote: View Post
.... Aaanyway, I wonder wether FOX also has the rights to do a DD TV show. At this point, I'd actually rather have them hire David E. Kelley to do DD for TV. Think about it, it'd be like "The Practice" with a noirish superhero in it.
DEK has certainly proved that he can do a good lawyer show, so the lawfirm of Nelson and Murdock would be in good hands, but his efforts with "Wonder Woman" make me wonder if he would be a good fit for any super-hero show.
Old July 13 2012, 12:15 PM   #89
Kai "the spy"
Commodore

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
Kai "the spy" wrote: View Post
DEK has certainly proved that he can do a good lawyer show, so the lawfirm of Nelson and Murdock would be in good hands, but his efforts with "Wonder Woman" make me wonder if he would be a good fit for any super-hero show.
Well, look again at the WW pilot. While it wasn't anywhere near what WW should be (like overly-violent, insecure, capitalist) it was decent enough superhero action. And while I am thankful this wasn't made into a series, I think it proves DEK has at least an interest in doing a superhero show. Thus, DD is the perfect fit. Aside from DD already being violent and insecure, whenever he feels unsure about the superhero part of the show he can retreat to the legal drama.

And just imagine the cases DEK could come up with in a universe where superhumans are real. This is something even the DD comics themselves rarely touched upon.
Or simply putting Matt Murdock into situations where he has to defend someone he knows to be guilty, like lawyers have to do sometimes (as DEK portrayed several times when his characters were appointed as the defendent's attorney by the judge).

And as for characterization, just look again at The Practice. Bobby and Jimmy were a lot like Matt and Foggy. I mean, Bobby was a handsome, talented catholic Irish-American lawyer with Daddy-issues and, aside from the usual inner conflict from time to time, a person with high ethical standarts who wanted to fight for the little people no one else believes in.

Yeah, I really think DEK could make one killer Daredevil TV show.

"Fanwankery is what 21st century pop entertainment's all about."
cooleddie74

Kai "the spy" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2012, 10:51 PM   #90
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

I do hope this all goes belly up. I'm finding it hard to care about any Marvel movie that isn't part of the MCU.