Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old February 27 2011, 11:36 PM   #1
timothy
Rear Admiral

View timothy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to timothy
enterprise : the romulan war

currently I 've been reading star trek enterprise prerelaunch . Most are okay I am on daedalus's children right now then I plan to go onto to rosettea .
then relaunch reread .soppossedly there will be a fifth book this year . who has been reading the war and what do you think of season five of enterprise? Do you think we will see the birth of the federation in this series and if so how long will the war be ? and who are the first races to join ? I know some :

1) human
2) vulcan
3) andorian
4) telerite

those I think are the main founding members am I missing any others ?
timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2011, 11:44 PM   #2
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

Re: enterprise : the romulan war

timothy wrote: View Post
.... who are the first races to join ? I know some :

1) human
2) vulcan
3) andorian
4) telerite

those I think are the main founding members am I missing any others ?
No, you're not missing any. The five founding worlds are Earth, Alpha Centauri (which is populated by humans), Vulcan, Andoria and Tellar.

We don't yet know which were/will be the first non-founding members, or how long it took for any to join. Basically, our knowledge of the period between the UFP's formation in 2161 and the mid-23rd century is very slim. At present we know the five founding worlds and then, a century later, we have over 30 members.
Old February 28 2011, 12:30 AM   #3
timothy
Rear Admiral

do we have a list of those 30 members ?
Old February 28 2011, 12:37 AM   #4
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

do we have a list of those 30 members ?
There's never been anything definite, but there are clues. And it's not 30 exactly, just around that (and of course each member state might have more than one world).

As a very loose timeline of membership:

The founders are Alpha Centauri, Andoria, Earth, Tellar and Vulcan.

Between 2161 and, say, 2250

By the 2250s-60s, the Caitians, Deltans, Denobulans, Rigelians, Saurians and Tiburonians appear to be well-established members.

2260s

We know the Argelians are members; looks like the Cygnians are too. Probably the Antarans (Beta Antares IV). Coridan and Ardana join at this time. The Axanar seem to be in, possibly recently.

2270s

By the 2270s-80s, the Arkenites, Efrosians, Kasheeta, Kazarites, Rhaandarites and Zaranites are established members (those are all races introduced in the films, and since expanded on in the novels). The Trill too - they seem to have associated with the UFP for quite a while, but maybe they only join now.

2290s

The Huanni join in 2293.

Early 24th century

By around the 2330s the Atreans, Betazoids, Bolians, Gnalish and Pandrilites are established members. The Alonis join in 2336. The Grazerites probably join around now, if Jaresh-Inyo's backstory is considered.

Mid-24th century

The Damiani are undergoing the admissions process. The Zakdorn are members by this point at the latest.

2350-2360s

By around the 2360s at the latest, Arbazan, Elaysians, Hermats, Nasats and Seleneans are members. Pahkwa-thanh join in 2360. Benzites seem to be in the last stages of the admissions process at this time.

Antedeans in the 2360s.

2370 +

Bajorans in 2376.

Koas in 2380.

Last edited by Deranged Nasat; February 28 2011 at 01:00 AM.
Deranged Nasat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2011, 02:53 AM   #5
F. King Daniel
Admiral

I really dislike the Enterprise relaunch.
Old February 28 2011, 03:02 AM   #6
Janos
Commander

View Janos's Twitter Profile

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there some fan issues about seeing Romulans in Enterprise TV or lit? I don't recall TOS TV episodes with total recall, but weren't the Rimulans "mysterious" and unseen even in a lot of the TOS TV episodes? I think they debuted in TOS time, no? If so, how can Enterprise be building to a Romulan War unless there is a reset button at the end of all this?
Star Trek: New Frontier, DS9 relaunch & DTI lit fan
Janos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2011, 03:09 AM   #7
TerraUnam
Commander

"Balance of Terror", the first Romulan episode on TOS, canonically established the Earth-Romulan War and the fact that the two sides had never seen each other's face, they just fired at the ships.

ENT, both the show and the novel relaunch just ran with this concept.

As an idea it's not so out there, the Pacific Theatre of WWII saw several naval battles where the two sides fleets never saw each other, the battle was conducted entirely by aircraft over-the-horizon from the surface fleet. It's a simple jump to extend this concept with space battles.
Old February 28 2011, 03:13 AM   #8
Janos
Commander

View Janos's Twitter Profile

TerraUnam wrote: View Post
"Balance of Terror", the first Romulan episode on TOS, canonically established the Earth-Romulan War and the fact that the two sides had never seen each other's face, they just fired at the ships.

Ah. Thx. Makes sense. Also, I imagine b/c the readers know who Romulans are, the readers get the benefit of reading about pre-TOS Romulus and Romulans while the ENT crew, etc. are in the dark. So its kind of a win-win for readers, I guess. Readers can learn/see what ENT won't. Interesting.

BTW, what season was Balance of Terror in?
Star Trek: New Frontier, DS9 relaunch & DTI lit fan
Janos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2011, 03:21 AM   #9
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Janos wrote: View Post

Ah. Thx. Makes sense. Also, I imagine b/c the readers know who Romulans are, the readers get the benefit of reading about pre-TOS Romulus and Romulans while the ENT crew, etc. are in the dark. So its kind of a win-win for readers, I guess. Readers can learn/see what ENT won't. Interesting.

BTW, what season was Balance of Terror in?
Season 1
Hartzilla2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2011, 04:42 AM   #10
JD
Admiral

Janos wrote: View Post

They already did this during the Romulan arc in ENT's last season. The ENT Relaunch continues on from there.
Old February 28 2011, 06:04 AM   #11
TerraUnam
Commander

In Destiny: Mere Mortals we had a short peak into Earth in 2168.

The current ENT relaunch is going through the Earth-Romulan War at a pace of one year per book. The next book In Shariel's Shadow would cover 2157 and is due out in November. That leaves three to five more books at the current rate to finish the war in 2160 and get around to the Big Event in 2161.

One would hope the events of 2161 would be their own book but who knows.
Old February 28 2011, 06:16 AM   #12
Smellincoffee
Commodore

View Smellincoffee's Twitter Profile

In Destiny: Mere Mortals we had a short peak into Earth in 2168.

The current ENT relaunch is going through the Earth-Romulan War at a pace of one year per book. The next book In Shariel's Shadow would cover 2157 and is due out in November. That leaves three to five more books at the current rate to finish the war in 2160 and get around to the Big Event in 2161.

One would hope the events of 2161 would be their own book but who knows.
Also note that In Shariel's Shadow has been renamed to To Brave the Storm.
DS9 CapCon #104: Deck the Corridors!
"The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain.." - Commander Montgomery Scott.
Smellincoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2011, 02:43 PM   #13
Christopher
Writer

^And it was In Shariel's Jaws anyway.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2011, 05:39 PM   #14
timothy
Rear Admiral

so the war last a year ? and also the romulans were soppossed to have use combat suit that hid there features as well . also the romulans were using a device that took over ships that were vulcan based tech right . so the had to go old school tech and
and use nukes . I love it when the federation goes to war big military sci fi fan.
that is also why I love the burried age picard uses proper military terms on starships .
such as capital ships love that.
Old February 28 2011, 05:58 PM   #15
JD
Admiral

so the war last a year ? and also the romulans were soppossed to have use combat suit that hid there features as well . also the romulans were using a device that took over ships that were vulcan based tech right . so the had to go old school tech and
and use nukes . I love it when the federation goes to war big military sci fi fan.
that is also why I love the burried age picard uses proper military terms on starships .
such as capital ships love that.
It lasted from 2155-2160, Beneath the Raptor's Wing cover's the first year.