Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old April 7 2011, 10:05 PM   #76
Jar Jar Binks
Admiral

Re: What next for Mass Effect?

Is it written by Mac Walters (lead writer of ME2) instead of Drew Karpyshyn (lead writer of ME1)?

Crap.
Jar Jar Binks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2011, 11:46 PM   #77
Reverend
Rear Admiral

No, it's written by William C. Dietz. A quick google turns up quite a few sci-fi novels I've never heard of--not that I'm much of an educated judge of what's notable outside the 'greats'--plus a handful of books for licensed IPs including Star Wars and Halo. Never read any of them myself so I have no idea if he's any good.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2011, 12:36 AM   #78
Jar Jar Binks
Admiral

Oh yeah! I forgot Dietz was writing this one. The only writing of his that I've read was the first half of Halo: The Flood, which I got bored of because it was just a novelization of the first Halo game. So I can't really say if he's good or not.
Old April 8 2011, 12:48 PM   #79
Jon-o'-lantern
Rear Admiral

Not sure if this was mentioned, they are going to do an animated Mass Effect film. Announcement here, not much info yet on what it will be about though.

They are also doing a Dragon Age anime, which at this point is due later this year.
Jon-o'-lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2011, 02:42 PM   #80
HotRod
Commander

Not sure how I feel about this......can't really say I'm a fan of anime. I would have hoped, being a "western" rpg, that maybe this could have been done in a more...traditional animation syle. But that's just me. One way or another I'll see it.
HotRod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2011, 12:53 AM   #81
Saquist
Commodore

An manga anime would be an excellent idea.
Macross Plus style would really be eye catching...
Saquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2011, 07:53 AM   #82
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty

Reverend wrote: View Post
No, it's written by William C. Dietz. A quick google turns up quite a few sci-fi novels I've never heard of--not that I'm much of an educated judge of what's notable outside the 'greats'--plus a handful of books for licensed IPs including Star Wars and Halo. Never read any of them myself so I have no idea if he's any good.
I've read Halo: The Flood, so let me break down how this book is gonna play out.

It will read like this:

"Main Character goes here. He shoots people, then his boss tells him to go somewhere else. He goes somewhere else and His Boss says "meet These Dudes who will be absolutley unimportant from here on in". Then Main Character goes somewhere else and shoots guys.

So, These Dudes get ambushed by The Reapers, who do stuff they would never do in the games. "We are The Reapers," they say, "our motivations are now simplistic humanoid avarice, despite what has been established to the contrary", so then These Dudes get killed by The Reapers and His Boss is all like " o noes".

Main Character kicks butt and gets away."

I just saved everyone from a couple of days worth of reading.

Jono wrote: View Post
Not sure if this was mentioned, they are going to do an animated Mass Effect film. Announcement here, not much info yet on what it will be about though.

They are also doing a Dragon Age anime, which at this point is due later this year.
I hope they aren't as meh as Halo: Legends.

Or any of the video-game based animations, for that matter.
Old April 10 2011, 07:15 PM   #83
-Brett-
Rear Admiral

Herkimer Jitty wrote: View Post
I've read Halo: The Flood, so let me break down how this book is gonna play out.

It will read like this:

"Main Character goes here. He shoots people, then his boss tells him to go somewhere else. He goes somewhere else and His Boss says "meet These Dudes who will be absolutley unimportant from here on in". Then Main Character goes somewhere else and shoots guys.

So, These Dudes get ambushed by The Reapers, who do stuff they would never do in the games. "We are The Reapers," they say, "our motivations are now simplistic humanoid avarice, despite what has been established to the contrary", so then These Dudes get killed by The Reapers and His Boss is all like " o noes".

Main Character kicks butt and gets away."

I just saved everyone from a couple of days worth of reading.
I read his Starcraft tie-in, and... yeah that actually sounds about right.
-Brett- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2011, 12:11 AM   #84
HotRod
Commander

Sorry to dig up an old thread I started awhile ago but I just got another idea for what Bioware could do after they tie up Shepard's story with Mass Effect 3. I just started yet another playthrough of ME2 and decided to actually listen to what Jacob had to say for once and got a real light bulb over my head when me mentionedbeing a former Alliance Corsair. That would be an interesting idea for another game, following the lives of a team of Corsairs working out of a private owned freighter. If they wanted to more towards combat they could even do a FPS in the same style as Borderlands, which i have also been getting back into after having played it LONG ago. But yeah, I think it would be an interesting plot to follow a team on the fringe on Alliance infrastructure as they go on missions throughout the galaxy.
HotRod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2011, 06:36 AM   #85
pennystock6

I like to play games and mass effect is my one of the favourite game. I always playing it. It is very interesting and impressive game. It graphics and back ground are also great.
Old September 19 2011, 11:32 PM   #86
AlphaMan
Rear Admiral

ME2 was my first experience with this brand and I have to say that this has to be the most viable space opera since Star Trek. There is so much detail and therefore oppurtunity to tell stories. Shepard's trilogy may end with ME3, but the Mass Effect Universe will live on.
AlphaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2011, 10:01 AM   #87
Dinklebot
That Wizard

View Dinklebot's Twitter Profile

AlphaMan wrote: View Post
ME2 was my first experience with this brand and I have to say that this has to be the most viable space opera since Star Trek. There is so much detail and therefore oppurtunity to tell stories. Shepard's trilogy may end with ME3, but the Mass Effect Universe will live on.
Yes, yes and yes.

Always exciting to see new folks enjoying the ME universe. It is very reminiscent of several of my favorite Sci-fi/space opera franchises and universes, agreed.

I can't wait to read future novels and play games from a new perspective.

Besides the Halo universe, ME has my favorite overall Sci-fi "lore" and art design. <3 Drew Karpyshyn et al.

"It would not be an Ubisoft game if you didn’t need to reach a high point and look around like a confused pigeon."
- Brendan Caldwell
Dinklebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2011, 10:12 PM   #88
JD
Admiral

Yeah, it really amazes me how deep they went when they developed the ME Universe.
HotRod wrote: View Post
Sorry to dig up an old thread I started awhile ago but I just got another idea for what Bioware could do after they tie up Shepard's story with Mass Effect 3. I just started yet another playthrough of ME2 and decided to actually listen to what Jacob had to say for once and got a real light bulb over my head when me mentionedbeing a former Alliance Corsair. That would be an interesting idea for another game, following the lives of a team of Corsairs working out of a private owned freighter. If they wanted to more towards combat they could even do a FPS in the same style as Borderlands, which i have also been getting back into after having played it LONG ago. But yeah, I think it would be an interesting plot to follow a team on the fringe on Alliance infrastructure as they go on missions throughout the galaxy.
I think this sounds like a great direction to take the franchise in after ME3. With how deep FPS games are getting now, I think that an ME FPS could be awesome.
Old September 30 2011, 10:31 PM   #89
Jar Jar Binks
Admiral

I think that after ME3, the franchise will be spun off to another studio (probably a new BioWare offshoot) while BioWare moves on to other projects. Sort of like how Halo shifted from Bungie to 343 Industries, though that was because Bungie was moving on and Microsoft owned the rights to the franchise.
Old October 1 2011, 05:17 PM   #90
bullethead
Fleet Captain

Skywalker wrote: View Post
I think that after ME3, the franchise will be spun off to another studio (probably a new BioWare offshoot) while BioWare moves on to other projects. Sort of like how Halo shifted from Bungie to 343 Industries, though that was because Bungie was moving on and Microsoft owned the rights to the franchise.
I doubt it, because at this point Bioware has at least 3 studios of its own- Edmonton (where ME is made), Montreal (which is doing some sort of multiplayer thing), and one in Texas, which is where TOR is made. And since EA apparently plans to make Bioware its own division, they may increase the amount of studios they have, making any need to outsource ME unnecessary (and IIRC, the only reason they didn't do KOTOR II was because of some contract thing, which wouldn't apply to ME).