Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Gaming

Trek Gaming Program Complete - Enter When Ready.

Old March 13 2011, 03:13 PM   #16
yochenhsieh
Lieutenant

Re: Dominion Wars on Vista/Windows 7

Hello,
Dominion Wars works fine on my laptop - a MSI U210L, which has ATI x1250 IGP and Windows 7 x64 SP1. I think this game only works on specific range of old video cards.
ATI 7500~X1000 series
nVidia TNT2~GeForce4 series

I had it worked on WinXP and Vista before, so the video card is the only problem that decides if it plays normally.

Check my youtube channel for some Dominion Wars videos, recorded from WinXP and Win7.
http://www.youtube.com/user/yochenhsieh?feature=mhum
yochenhsieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2011, 09:34 PM   #17
swaaye
Lieutenant Commander

Yeah the biggest problem with this game working is whether your video card gets along with it. It is very picky about what GPUs it will work with. Even old cards from its time won't necessarily work.

I've had it working in XP with a Radeon X800 but I have tried many other GPUs and had no luck. It usually won't even start up but if it does you are probably good to go.
swaaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2011, 02:25 AM   #18
Komat
Cadet

I created a wrapper which improves the compatibility of DW with new GPUs. I did not have time to play the game much so there might be some serious issues in latter missions. So far I have seen few smaller graphical glitches however the game was playable (Vista 64bit, NV GF 460) so it might be worth try http://jiridvorak.webpark.cz/dw/
Komat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2011, 08:34 PM   #19
swaaye
Lieutenant Commander

Komat wrote: View Post
I created a wrapper which improves the compatibility of DW with new GPUs. I did not have time to play the game much so there might be some serious issues in latter missions. So far I have seen few smaller graphical glitches however the game was playable (Vista 64bit, NV GF 460) so it might be worth try http://jiridvorak.webpark.cz/dw/
Oh this is very nice. Thanks for the time and effort. The secondary display issue alone made the game not work on many cards because it would always try to use the wrong output and crash.

Your patch got the game working on my Intel GMA 900 netbook. I have a feeling this might mean it will run on most hardware now. The only problem I've seen is a mouse cursor delay that was solved by setting the game to Win98/Me compatibility mode.

Last edited by swaaye; April 8 2011 at 08:52 PM.
swaaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2011, 02:14 PM   #20
yochenhsieh
Lieutenant

It works!
I really thank you for this wrapper, for it just solves the problem and I can now run Dominion Wars on a modern PC!
Tested on my desktop which has ATi HD5570 and on Windows7 it doesn't need to set any compatibility mode. May I write a link to your page in wikipedia/memory alpha?
Old April 13 2011, 03:24 PM   #21
yochenhsieh
Lieutenant

yochenhsieh wrote: View Post
May I write a link to your page in wikipedia/memory alpha?
Yes. Note that it is unlikely that you will be able to get it at wikipedia as there is no credible unbiased third party source mentioning the wrapper.
At least I should try it first. If it's rejected, I will try other means to asist people who want to play DW find your wrapper.

This is an important step for Dominion Wars 'fans' who still keep a low spec pc to play it, or want to play it but cannot because they upgraded to a new pc. Perhaps someday we will have something for Dominion Wars like ATX for Trespasser...
Old April 24 2011, 03:44 AM   #22
yochenhsieh
Lieutenant

First of all, you should install Dominion Wars in your PC.

I recommend patch it to v1.04 after installed. You can download patches here:
http://gaming.trekcore.com/dominionwars/downloads.html
US version: use v1.01 to v1.04
European (English) and German version have different 1.04 patch repectively. Some users reported the 'Unofficial' XP patch is also needed for these versions (but it is in fact the ds9dw.exe of US v1.04).

Download the wrapper and extract ddra2.dll to your DW folder.

(Before you proceed, always backup your ds9dw.exe)
Download XVI32 hex editor, and open your ds9dw.exe in XVI32. Search and replace 'ddraw.dll' with 'ddra2.dll' (text string). Save file.

(If you have winxp, set compatibility mode to Win98/Me. For win7, you don't need to do that.)
Try to run ds9dw.exe and see if it works.

--
I'm making a general patcher which will include official patches and the wrapper in one wizard-like installer. But I need testers who have European (English) and German versions. (I have US version myself.) Please reply if you can and want to help test it.

Last edited by yochenhsieh; April 24 2011 at 03:18 PM.
Old April 26 2011, 03:34 AM   #23
RRtexasranger
Ensign

For some reason, it won't patch to 1.04. I run the patcher but nothing happens.

I tried replacing the text with XVI32 but it was saying that none of that could be found. So idk...
RRtexasranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2011, 06:50 AM   #24
yochenhsieh
Lieutenant

RRtexasranger wrote: View Post
For some reason, it won't patch to 1.04. I run the patcher but nothing happens.

I tried replacing the text with XVI32 but it was saying that none of that could be found. So idk...
Could you post these info of your ds9dw.exe?

filesize:
modify date:

open ds9dw.exe in XVI32, find text string 'Version' (without quotes, Case sensitive). post the numbers after Version. (should be 1.01 or other.)
Old April 27 2011, 04:50 AM   #25
RRtexasranger
Ensign

Apparently the version is already 1.04. Although I don't remember updating...

Filesize: 968KB
Modified: September 07, 2011
Old April 29 2011, 10:08 AM   #26
yochenhsieh
Lieutenant

That's good if you already have a patched version.

If you're willing to test, please try this patcher, select US version. (There will be error if you already have 1.04. It's ok.)

[Mega Upload link removed, as Microsoft incorrectly thinks it is infriging Windows - but as Megaupload is dead, no harm done]

I hope it works, but if it does not, please post some feedback here:-)

Last edited by AntonyF; April 7 2012 at 10:38 AM.
Old May 3 2011, 11:03 PM   #27
RRtexasranger
Ensign

yochenhsieh wrote: View Post

That's good if you already have a patched version.

If you're willing to test, please try this patcher, select US version. (There will be error if you already have 1.04. It's ok.)

[Mega Upload link removed, as Microsoft incorrectly thinks it is infriging Windows - but as Megaupload is dead, no harm done]

I hope it works, but if it does not, please post some feedback here:-)
Wow, it was able to load up and everything, I got to the main screen, but once I move my mouse, the program freezes up. If I move my mouse at any point as the opening videos load, it freezes. And it doesn't seem that changing compatibility modes is doing anything.

Last edited by AntonyF; April 7 2012 at 10:39 AM.
Old May 4 2011, 01:53 PM   #28
yochenhsieh
Lieutenant

Wow, it was able to load up and everything, I got to the main screen, but once I move my mouse, the program freezes up. If I move my mouse at any point as the opening videos load, it freezes. And it doesn't seem that changing compatibility modes is doing anything.
What is your graphic card?
I have that problem on a pc with nVidia GeForce 9600. No solution yet...

Perhaps you could try it on other pc?
Old May 4 2011, 10:19 PM   #29
RRtexasranger
Ensign

HD 5870.
Old May 5 2011, 04:09 AM   #30
yochenhsieh
Lieutenant

Hello,
I have a HD 5570 and it works with the wrapper. If your driver is older than 10.12, could you try to update your driver?
I'm currently using CATALYST 11.2 (Latest is 11.4, but I don't have any problem now so I don't plan to upgrade it.)