New Star Trek Costumes Book
By: T'Bonz on May 19

Takei Voices Space Alien
By: T'Bonz on May 19

August Star Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on May 18

Pine To Star In New Drama
By: T'Bonz on May 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Gaming

Trek Gaming Program Complete - Enter When Ready.

Old April 14 2015, 03:36 AM   #1
Movieguy12
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sto cannon with the novels?

I'm sure this has been asked a Bunch. But are the books and sto cannon with each other? My main reason for asking is the Borg in sto and the destiny novels?

Thank you!
Movieguy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2015, 07:02 AM   #2
Tirius
Captain

Re: Sto cannon with the novels?

No, they are not compatible. The Borg storyline is one example, but other inconsistencies are present concerning the Elachi, the bluegills, Bajor, etc. STO has borrowed some concepts from the novels, but that is the extent of it.
Old April 14 2015, 07:55 AM   #3
Movieguy12
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Awesome thank you!!
Old April 14 2015, 10:17 PM   #4
Kor
Vice Admiral

Are we talking about phaser cannons or torpedo cannons, like in the game Voyager: Elite Force?

Perhaps you meant "canon."

Kor
Old April 14 2015, 11:45 PM   #5
Movieguy12
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Dangit every time lol. I'm always typing so fast I don't pay attention :.(. Lol thanks!
Old April 15 2015, 01:53 AM   #6
JTShanks
Lieutenant

They aren't compatible; look at the Neural Parasites for example; they were relatives to the trill that seperated 2 years before joining the Federation in the books, but according to STO; they're a servitor race to the Iconians.... they don't mix.
JTShanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2015, 02:22 AM   #7
-Brett-
Rear Admiral

When STO was in development, I got the impression that the original intent was to create a unified "expanded universe" like what Star Wars had at the time. The Borg extinction nixed that.
-Brett- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2015, 03:24 AM   #8
Movieguy12
Lieutenant Junior Grade

-Brett- wrote: View Post
When STO was in development, I got the impression that the original intent was to create a unified "expanded universe" like what Star Wars had at the time. The Borg extinction nixed that.
Yeah that's what ignited my question mainly.

I understand wanting to keep such a character group and great around, but dang was destiny good!
Old April 19 2015, 07:46 PM   #9
laibcoms
Ensign

View laibcoms's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to laibcoms Send a message via AIM to laibcoms Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to laibcoms Send a message via Yahoo to laibcoms

Yep. Likewise. I remember there were press releases during the early development of STO (I think that was before it was transferred to Cryptic) that STO is the new "canon" since we won't be getting any live-action productions any longer.

From then until I started reading Relaunch books, I assumed it was that way, especially considering how Cryptic has to get the approval of CBS in any story, characters, etc. that they do. AFAIK, they don't have a 100% independence as far as the story of STO goes. (Hence, Andromeda galaxy was hinted... at least there, they'll have complete literary control.)

But I've asked around over at trek bbs's Litverse forums and found out the "truth". There is only one canon, and that will always be the live-action productions (films and TV; perhaps if CBS/Paramount create webisodes, then those as well). Anything else are tie-ins.

Further, it was explained that in the books, they are to follow what's canon, not their fellow tie-ins (if I understood it correctly). Since the books are still following the Primeverse and what was left of it in the canon, then they're building upon it. While STO was given the go ahead to use some books, some comics, and the vital point in time - the supernova and disappearance of Spock.

In the novels, we're yet to see this point in time being mentioned. But since some part of this was mentioned in ST11, that makes it canon - again only those that were mentioned ... specifically at that. (Example, Hobus was never mentioned in ST11, it was just a supernova somewhere else -- the books can choose to call it Suboh if they like )

And with where STO is going, they're too divergent already. Not to mention, it's hard to create content in different points in time because sooner or later there will be overlaps and contradictions.
laibcoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2015, 08:19 PM   #10
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

IIRC, the only novel that is compatible with STO is The Needs of the Many.
Old April 20 2015, 05:08 PM   #11
laibcoms
Ensign

View laibcoms's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to laibcoms Send a message via AIM to laibcoms Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to laibcoms Send a message via Yahoo to laibcoms

Yep. I think Cryptic was behind it, or maybe CBS, trying to find if Novels would be bought by STO players. (Like how in other online games, novels are as popular.)
Old April 20 2015, 05:42 PM   #12
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

As did CBS' insistence that STO maintain the last bit of 'Prime Universe canon' RE: The Hobus supernova and destruction of Romulus.

The STO Dev team has stated they HAD Romulus nearly completed and missions with Romulan storylines that all had to be dropped when CBS told them during the game's development - Romulus is destroyed in the 'Prime Universe' as part of the new (2009) film and we've made a cross promotional deal with Paramount - so STO needs to reflect this.
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2015, 07:02 PM   #13
laibcoms
Ensign

Noname Given wrote: View Post
As did CBS' insistence that STO maintain the last bit of 'Prime Universe canon' RE: The Hobus supernova and destruction of Romulus.

The STO Dev team has stated they HAD Romulus nearly completed and missions with Romulan storylines that all had to be dropped when CBS told them during the game's development - Romulus is destroyed in the 'Prime Universe' as part of the new (2009) film and we've made a cross promotional deal with Paramount - so STO needs to reflect this.
Ah there we go. I'm not the only who remembers the STO is as canon as canon can be because CBS is involved.

Since last year, I've been trying to search for the past articles and interviews but I can no longer find those. It's as if I lived in a different timeline.
Old April 30 2015, 12:31 AM   #14
Kor
Vice Admiral

I tried to play STO on a PC that was five years old, and it just would not run!

I have since gotten a new computer, so I think I will give it a shot again.

There was some kind of Romulan mission expansion that I was looking forward to. What is involved in this if Romulus is gone?

Kor
Old April 30 2015, 06:08 AM   #15
JTShanks
Lieutenant

Kor wrote: View Post
I tried to play STO on a PC that was five years old, and it just would not run!

I have since gotten a new computer, so I think I will give it a shot again.

There was some kind of Romulan mission expansion that I was looking forward to. What is involved in this if Romulus is gone?

Kor
Romulan Refugee's escaping the domination and tyranny of the Romulan Star Empire and the Tal'Shiar remnants who survived Romulus' destruction. Forming a new Romulan government called the Romulan Republic.

But that expansion is outdated, nowadays we got the Iconian Wars going on.
JTShanks is offline   Reply With Quote