RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 147,057
Posts: 5,803,789
Members: 26,066
Currently online: 387
Newest member: ravenoflocksley

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Learning Curve
By: Michelle on Jul 31

Star Trek: The Exhibition In Washington State
By: T'Bonz on Jul 31

August-September 2015 Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Jul 31

Shatner To Pen Book On Nimoy
By: T'Bonz on Jul 31

Star Trek Beyond Building Continues
By: T'Bonz on Jul 31

Trinneer In Western Horror
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Beam Me Up Scotty Figurines
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

UK Auction To Feature Spock Costume
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Pine To Star In Wonder Woman
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Pegg Teases Elba Character
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old March 19 2011, 09:59 PM   #1
Crewman47
Commodore
 
Location: Ayrshire, Scotland
No respect for Spock?

I'm watchin season 1 of TOS again and something I can't get is the lack of respect Spock gets from most of the crew on the Enterprise. He's a Senior officer and the ships 1st Officer but yet most crewman will refer to him by his name, or disregard most of commands, mock him or even try to get a compliment out of him. Uhura (in Charlie X), McCoy, and a few one shot characters are examples of this.

Why is he treated like this at times?
Crewman47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2011, 10:08 PM   #2
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: A boat on a river
Re: No respect for Spock?

Crewman47 wrote: View Post
I'm watchin season 1 of TOS again and something I can't get is the lack of respect Spock gets from most of the crew on the Enterprise. He's a Senior officer and the ships 1st Officer but yet most crewman will refer to him by his name, or disregard most of commands, mock him or even try to get a compliment out of him. Uhura (in Charlie X), McCoy, and a few one shot characters are examples of this.

Why is he treated like this at times?
TV Shows like characters who can be ribbed and teased for comic payoff.

Can you site an example of someone ignoring his orders or calling him "Spock" with out a mister added? (Other than McCoy)
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2011, 10:37 PM   #3
Captrek
Rear Admiral
 
Captrek's Avatar
 
Location: second star to the right
Re: No respect for Spock?

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Crewman47 wrote: View Post
I'm watchin season 1 of TOS again and something I can't get is the lack of respect Spock gets from most of the crew on the Enterprise. He's a Senior officer and the ships 1st Officer but yet most crewman will refer to him by his name, or disregard most of commands, mock him or even try to get a compliment out of him. Uhura (in Charlie X), McCoy, and a few one shot characters are examples of this.

Why is he treated like this at times?
TV Shows like characters who can be ribbed and teased for comic payoff.

Can you site an example of someone ignoring his orders or calling him "Spock" with out a mister added? (Other than McCoy)
“Mister” is not the traditional manner of addressing a superior officer.
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2011, 11:13 PM   #4
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: A boat on a river
Re: No respect for Spock?

captrek wrote: View Post
Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Crewman47 wrote: View Post
I'm watchin season 1 of TOS again and something I can't get is the lack of respect Spock gets from most of the crew on the Enterprise. He's a Senior officer and the ships 1st Officer but yet most crewman will refer to him by his name, or disregard most of commands, mock him or even try to get a compliment out of him. Uhura (in Charlie X), McCoy, and a few one shot characters are examples of this.

Why is he treated like this at times?
TV Shows like characters who can be ribbed and teased for comic payoff.

Can you site an example of someone ignoring his orders or calling him "Spock" with out a mister added? (Other than McCoy)
“Mister” is not the traditional manner of addressing a superior officer.
Yes, I know, but in Starfleet it appears to be to be perfectly okay.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2011, 11:30 PM   #5
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: alt.nerd.obsessive.pic
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: No respect for Spock?

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
captrek wrote: View Post
Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
TV Shows like characters who can be ribbed and teased for comic payoff.

Can you site an example of someone ignoring his orders or calling him "Spock" with out a mister added? (Other than McCoy)
“Mister” is not the traditional manner of addressing a superior officer.
Yes, I know, but in Starfleet it appears to be to be perfectly okay.
I know that we've seen lower ranking officers refer to Scott as either Mister Scott or Scotty. So Spock isn't the only one who isn't referred to by rank by subordinates.
__________________
"Just give me two seconds, alright, you mad bastard!" - Montgomery Scott, Star Trek Into Darkness
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2011, 12:09 AM   #6
Captrek
Rear Admiral
 
Captrek's Avatar
 
Location: second star to the right
Re: No respect for Spock?

BillJ wrote: View Post
I know that we've seen lower ranking officers refer to Scott as either Mister Scott or Scotty.
Who besides Kirk and McCoy ever calls him Scotty?

ETA: I checked.

Uhura and Sulu in Friday’s Child
Palamas in Who Mourns for Adonis? (Note that she and Scotty were exploring romance at the time.)
Chapel in Lights of Zetar
Romaine in Lights of Zetar (Same note as Palamas.)

That’s all.

In Is There In Truth No Beauty? Scotty introduces himself to Marvick as “Montgomery Scott, Chief Engineer. Call me Scotty,” but Marvick never takes him up on it.

ETA: Just checked TAS.

Uhura in The Lorelei Signal.
Bem in Bem. (Not a Starfleet officer. He actually calls him “Mister Scotty.”)

ETA: And the movies.

Decker in TMP. (Superior officer.)
Uhura and Chekov in TVH. (Off duty.)
Uhura in TFF.

Last edited by Captrek; March 20 2011 at 12:37 AM.
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2011, 12:19 AM   #7
J.T.B.
Commodore
 
J.T.B.'s Avatar
 
Re: No respect for Spock?

captrek wrote: View Post
“Mister” is not the traditional manner of addressing a superior officer.
It is traditional in the US and UK navies for officers below the grade of commander to be addressed as "mister."

From my dad's c.1966 Bluejacket's Manual:



--Justin
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2011, 12:43 AM   #8
Captrek
Rear Admiral
 
Captrek's Avatar
 
Location: second star to the right
Re: No respect for Spock?

J.T.B. wrote: View Post
captrek wrote: View Post
“Mister” is not the traditional manner of addressing a superior officer.
It is traditional in the US and UK navies for officers below the grade of commander to be addressed as "mister."
I stand corrected.

Of course, Spock does hold the rank of Commander for most of the series, so this excuse doesn’t really apply. And no, the standards cannot change over the course of three centuries.
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2011, 01:10 AM   #9
scotpens
Vice Admiral
 
scotpens's Avatar
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Re: No respect for Spock?

^^ But remember, TOS Starfleet is Military Lite, e.g., no salutes.

One episode in which many fans feel Spock didn’t get the respect due him from his subordinates was “The Galileo Seven.” That’s been discussed on a previous thread.
__________________
“All the universe or nothingness. Which shall it be, Passworthy? Which shall it be?”
scotpens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2011, 01:12 AM   #10
Sky
Captain
 
Sky  's Avatar
 
Location: Tokyo
Re: No respect for Spock?

And, of course, Balance of Terror..
__________________
there is no other wisdom
and no other hope for us
but that we grow wise.
Sky   is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2011, 01:24 AM   #11
Shatnertage
Rear Admiral
 
Shatnertage's Avatar
 
Location: Ward Fowler's gofer.
View Shatnertage's Twitter Profile
Re: No respect for Spock?

I've got this image of Spock doing a Rodney Dangerfield bit.

"Yeah, I get no respect. Last night some of the other crew tried to talk me into volunteering for an away mission--wearing a red shirt. No respect, I tell you."
__________________
I don't say 'sabotage.' You say 'sabotage.' I say 'sabataage."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlOTRxt-dIw
Shatnertage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2011, 01:29 AM   #12
Anji
Rear Admiral
 
Anji's Avatar
 
Location: Assisting in the birth of baby Horta on Janus VI
View Anji's Twitter Profile
Re: No respect for Spock?

Mr. Spock put up with a lot of nonsense in "The Galileo Seven" no question about it. But I think the episode was written with the emotions at their extremes to bring out the contrast between the cool headed Vulcans and the quick-to-judge humans.

Not to say that there is anything wrong with being human, but that perhaps being cool headed and logical is better. Remember the series was shot during a particularly sensitive time in America. A little more logic may have made the era easier to live through. Spock may have been Roddenberry's way of introducing that notion into the culture.
__________________
"You may be wrong, but you may be right." - Billy Joel
Anji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2011, 01:37 AM   #13
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: A boat on a river
Re: No respect for Spock?

Doesn't that episode end with Spock acting on an illogical chance of fate?

Galileo Seven wrote:
SCOTT: A distress signal? It's like sending up a flare. Mister Spock, that was a good gamble. Perhaps it was worth it.
SPOCK: No one out there to see it.
(The plume of flame fades out)
SCOTT: Orbit decaying, Mister Spock. Ten seconds to atmosphere.
MCCOY: It may be the last action you'll ever take, Mister Spock, but it was all human.
SPOCK: Totally illogical. There was no chance.
MCCOY: That's exactly what I mean.
(The front of the little craft starts to glow red, and instrumentation begins to smoke and crackle.)
MEARS: It's getting hot.
UHURA: Transporters locked in, sir.
KIRK: Activate beams.
(Our last view inside Galileo is of lots of smoke, then transporter beams)
SULU: Whatever it was, Captain, it just burned up in the atmosphere.
UHURA: Captain, transporter room just beamed up five persons. Alive and well.
KIRK: Mister Sulu, proceed on course to Makus Three. Ahead warp factor one.
SULU: Aye, aye, sir. Warp factor one.
(later, everyone is back on duty)
KIRK: Mister Spock.
SPOCK: Captain.
KIRK: There's really something I don't understand about all of this. Maybe you can explain it to me. Logically, of course. When you jettisoned the fuel and ignited it, you knew there was virtually no chance of it being seen, yet you did it anyhow. That would seem to me to be an act of desperation.
SPOCK: Quite correct, Captain.
KIRK: Now we all know, and I'm sure the doctor will agree with me, that desperation is a highly emotional state of mind. How does your well-known logic explain that?
SPOCK: Quite simply, Captain. I examined the problem from all angles, and it was plainly hopeless. Logic informed me that under the circumstances, the only possible action would have to be one of desperation. Logical decision, logically arrived at.
KIRK: I see. You mean you reasoned that it was time for an emotional outburst.
SPOCK: Well, I wouldn't put it in exactly those terms, Captain, but those are essentially the facts.
KIRK: You're not going to admit that for the first time in your life, you committed a purely human emotional act?
SPOCK: No, sir.
KIRK: Mister Spock, you're a stubborn man.
SPOCK: Yes, sir.
I think you might be misremembering its point, Anji.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2011, 02:03 AM   #14
scotpens
Vice Admiral
 
scotpens's Avatar
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Re: No respect for Spock?

Shatnertage wrote: View Post
"Yeah, I get no respect. Last night some of the other crew tried to talk me into volunteering for an away mission -- wearing a red shirt. No respect, I tell you."
“I didn’t get any respect when I was a kid. When I played in the sandbox, my pet sehlat kept trying to cover me up. NO RESPECT, I tell you!”

Oh, and it’s not an “away mission,” it’s a landing party, dammit!
__________________
“All the universe or nothingness. Which shall it be, Passworthy? Which shall it be?”
scotpens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2011, 02:45 AM   #15
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: A boat on a river
Re: No respect for Spock?

AMOK TIME II

"My marriage is on the rocks again, yeah, my wife just broke up with her boyfriend"
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:32 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.