To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old March 7 2011, 11:44 PM   #1
Serial thread killer
Rear Admiral

View Serial thread killer's Twitter Profile
UK school dinners 80s&90s

On another board I go on we got talking about UK school dinners from the 80s/90s.
We all remembered the pink and mint custard and cornflake cakes.
But not one of us can identify the cheese cake they used to serve, No matter how many different brands I try, I can not find one that taste as good has the one they used to served in school.
Does anyone on here remember it? And more importantly do you know who made it?
Malcolm on Star Wars: "The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin. His father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his sister. Lego. They're all made of fucking lego."
Serial thread killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2011, 11:58 PM   #2
Jadzia
on holiday

Re: UK school dinners 80s&90s

One of my neighbours is a school cook. She has done that job all her working life and is now nearing retirement. She would probably know if I asked her.
Jadzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2011, 12:01 AM   #3
Dac
Commodore

View Dac's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dac

I don't know about the cheesecake, but I clearly remember the really thin but really taste Apple Crumble with custard we used to get.

Mmm Mmm.
Dac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2011, 12:04 AM   #4
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

I only have seen Jamie Olivers special series on UK school dinners and it scared me
Old March 8 2011, 12:23 AM   #5
cultcross
Say my name...

FPAlpha wrote: View Post
I only have seen Jamie Olivers special series on UK school dinners and it scared me
That was the school dinners of the noughties - they hadn't invented turkey twizzlers when we were at school
Old March 8 2011, 01:51 AM   #6
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

What I remember about school dinners (or lunch as they were in the US) is that everything tasted delicious. I am quite sure it wasn't. I just loathed school so much and getting to pick out some food and sit down with it was like a fabulous holiday in the middle of the horrors.

What I do remember was that every day there was a different combination of the same three ingredients: pasta, ground beef, tomato based sauce

And chocolate milk was 6 cents a carton, must have been some government make-them-drink-milk thing.

I was in a single parent health food crunchy granola family though so I think I was just dazzled by all this food full of salt and sugar and containing no lentils, ever.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2011, 11:02 PM   #7
Holdfast
Procul, O procul este profani!

I liked most school dinners. Prep school had the usual classic school dinners with awesome stodgy puddings with custard (with skin, of course!). In my later school, we were pretty well catered too, although with a more international range of dishes. Mind you, just as often, I would skip a proper lunch and go the tuck shop and buy crisps, chocolates and sweets. Sugar-coated cola-bottle penny sweets were awesome, and I discovered that if eaten together, salt-n-vinegar crisps, cherry coke, and a Lion bar make for the most intense flavour combination. Yeah, I was _fat_ as a kid! My heart's grateful I lost all the weight later.

But even the tuck shop wasn't as unhealthy as school teas (we finished school at 6pm, so had tea at around 4pm). As much refined white sliced bread as you could stomach, with bream and jam!
Holdfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9 2011, 01:20 AM   #8
teacake
Admiral

Holdfast Lion Bars are my favorite ever candy bar. They are the only nostalgia food I went for years without that actually tasted as wonderful as I remembered. Now I know a few shops I can usually buy them in here and when I get there I always do. Apparently they are not very common in the UK now? A friend's parents came over to visit and said they looked in 20 shops before they found any.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old March 9 2011, 09:04 PM   #9
Serial thread killer
Rear Admiral

Holdfast wrote: View Post
I liked most school dinners. Prep school had the usual classic school dinners with awesome stodgy puddings with custard (with skin, of course!). In my later school, we were pretty well catered too, although with a more international range of dishes. Mind you, just as often, I would skip a proper lunch and go the tuck shop and buy crisps, chocolates and sweets. Sugar-coated cola-bottle penny sweets were awesome, and I discovered that if eaten together, salt-n-vinegar crisps, cherry coke, and a Lion bar make for the most intense flavour combination. Yeah, I was _fat_ as a kid! My heart's grateful I lost all the weight later.

But even the tuck shop wasn't as unhealthy as school teas (we finished school at 6pm, so had tea at around 4pm). As much refined white sliced bread as you could stomach, with bream and jam!
I was not one of the popular children at school, so I think I only ever got the skin once.
Malcolm on Star Wars: "The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin. His father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his sister. Lego. They're all made of fucking lego."
Old March 9 2011, 11:58 PM   #10
Holdfast
Procul, O procul este profani!

teacake wrote: View Post
Holdfast Lion Bars are my favorite ever candy bar. They are the only nostalgia food I went for years without that actually tasted as wonderful as I remembered. Now I know a few shops I can usually buy them in here and when I get there I always do. Apparently they are not very common in the UK now? A friend's parents came over to visit and said they looked in 20 shops before they found any.
I don't know... I can still find them. Perhaps too many people have been poaching the Lions without permission...

I just looked up Lion Bars on wikipedia to see whether their availability/status had changed. It seems there's some kind of funny internet meme suggesting that a lower league football player went missing after entering a supermarket to buy a Lion bar. How random.

Serial thread killer wrote: View Post
I liked most school dinners. Prep school had the usual classic school dinners with awesome stodgy puddings with custard (with skin, of course!). In my later school, we were pretty well catered too, althoug
I was not one of the popular children at school, so I think I only ever got the skin once.
The skin really is the best bit. And it has to be the really artificial-tasting Bird's fluorescent yellow custard.

I mean, I'm all for a good vanilla creme anglaise for a fancy dessert.... but if it's a roly-poly pudding or spotted dick, I want custard with skin! D
Holdfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2011, 01:47 AM   #11
Jax
Admiral

Best thing I remember about school dinners was giant COOKIES
Old March 10 2011, 11:48 AM   #12
An Officer
Vice Admiral

Primary school dinners were a nightmare to me, except for the puddings. I probably would have enjoyed them now, I remember lots of soupy green vegetables, ravioli, salt beef, quite healthy stuff I think... I found it all beyond disgusting, and the dinner ladies never let me go till I had eaten at least a bit, so I used to spend most lunchtimes staring at a plate of food, waiting till it was 10 mins before lunch was over, when they would allow me to have my pudding, and I'd run out to play for 5 mins.

I don't ever remember getting cheesecake though, maybe I never chose it, I remember apple crumble, jelly, jam roly polys, spotted dick.... apple crumble with strawberry custard was my favourite.

High school, we were allowed out to lunch, we usually elected to go to the local Dominoes for a mini pizza and coke, or the local fish and chip shop for fat chips with plenty of malt vinegar, and Frijj strawberry milkshake. I have no idea how I didn't get fat, probably because I walked rather than taking the bus, and apart from a breakfast of Weetabix, it was my only meal of the day. I hated my mother's cooking just as much as Primary school dinners! Never stopped her cooking every night though, poor woman.
Old March 10 2011, 12:35 PM   #13
Jadzia
on holiday

Lion bar
I remember those! They were my brother's first choice whenever we went to the sweep shop. You've got me remembering all the other bars now too.

The skin really is the best bit. And it has to be the really artificial-tasting Bird's fluorescent yellow custard.
A skin on food is always something that repels me. I'm inclined to scrape it off and dispose of it. You'll probably think that's sinful
Jadzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10 2011, 01:26 PM   #14
teacake
Admiral

When I ate Lion Bars they had a lovely wrapper. I remember it being a very light creamy color with an MGM style lion on it. It is completely ugly now, black with a cartoon lion.

OMG look how delicious it looks!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lion_Bar

I used to eat an apple and a Lion Bar every day for lunch. I thought this was the perfect combination.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old March 10 2011, 04:14 PM   #15
Serial thread killer
Rear Admiral

Jax wrote: View Post
Best thing I remember about school dinners was giant COOKIES
You are talking about secondary school dinners from the canteen, we're talking about primary school dinners where there was no choice you just got what you where given.