Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old December 23 2011, 01:06 AM   #31
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Re: DS9 Millennium

Erm, much of it's a radical alternate future which is undone at the end. Some of the events were touched upon in "Watching the Clock"
F. King Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2011, 02:14 AM   #32
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

I remember really loving this trilogy when I read it in... 7th grade. Wow. I might reread them one day soon. It might not hold up, but it probably will.
Old December 23 2011, 06:35 PM   #33
DS9forever
Fleet Captain

There is a reference to Farpoint Station being in existence, but I think one of the Titan novels have since stated Farpoint was never built.
DS9forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2011, 06:52 PM   #34
OverlordSpock
Lieutenant Commander

View OverlordSpock's Twitter Profile

I absolutely love Millennium. It may not be Destiny epic, but it is definitely one of the true epic Star Trek stories. (Of course, Millennium actually dealt with the end of the Universe, whereas Destiny only dealt with the Federation... ).

As for whether it fits in with the current TrekLit Primeverse, I don't remember anything in it directly contradicting the Primeverse. Of course, it came out shortly before the Primeverse really got going with the DS9 relaunch, so it can't actually be held to the Primeverse. In my own personal continuity, it does fit in with the Primeverse, for whatever that's worth.
OverlordSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2011, 07:05 PM   #35
RoJoHen
Awesome

I don't remember anything at all about the story of these novels. All I remember is thinking they were fucking amazing.
Old December 23 2011, 07:31 PM   #36
Christopher
Writer

DS9forever wrote: View Post
There is a reference to Farpoint Station being in existence, but I think one of the Titan novels have since stated Farpoint was never built.
Well, let's see. Millennium says "After more than a decade of intricate negotiation and elaborate construction, the Farpoint Starbase on Deneb IV was finally about to be activated." What Riker said in Orion's Hounds was:
The hell of it is, we never really did that much exploring of the Cygnus Reach anyway. The Enterprise was supposed to be the flagship of this new long-term venture into the unknown . . . but after the Farpoint incident, with no base that far out, it never really took off. The Bandi tried to rebuild Farpoint, but they just weren’t up to the task. Then Starfleet’s priorities shifted and the Enterprise spent most of its tour closer to home, conducting diplomatic or relief missions.
So Riker's saying that Farpoint's reconstruction wasn't completed in time to support that original exploratory push before Starfleet's priorities shifted further inward with the emergence of new threats from the Romulans and Borg. Millennium saying that it took a dozen years to finally get it up and running (since that's how long the trilogy is set after "Farpoint") is compatible with that. It got built, just too little, too late.

As far as I know, there are no major inconsistencies between Millennium and the main novel continuity. It was written after the series ended (though set a year earlier), so it has no significant discrepancies from canon. I've always had the impression that it was kind of "grandfathered in" to the post-series DS9 continuity, at least implicitly.

Also, a bit of the temporal physics discussion in Millennium, particularly the concept of the "Feynman curve," was referenced in DTI: Watching the Clock (and will be again in Forgotten History).

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2011, 07:51 PM   #37
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
I've always had the impression that it was kind of "grandfathered in" to the post-series DS9 continuity, at least implicitly.
I know that Marco had indicated as such on the boards, though I don't think any in-text connections were drawn. (I think the epilogue might not quite line up with the books and the election of the kai - but I guess it's moot since it looks like the books are done depicting that era.)

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2011, 08:00 PM   #38
Christopher
Writer

^Well, it's not like there aren't a few inconsistencies within the novelverse already.

Old December 23 2011, 09:12 PM   #39
Paper Moon
Commander

For the record, I love Millennium. I too have the omnibus edition mentioned upthread, and it was one of the first Star Trek novels I read. Its epic scope and even its arguable over-the-top-ness brought me into TrekLit. For what it is, it remains one of my favorite Star Trek (series of) novels.

(Ironically, the Shatnerverse novels, which I read at about the same time, also really drew me to TrekLit. However, I have found that the Shatnerverse novels, unlike Millennium, have not aged well.)

In terms of reconciling it with the rest of the DS9 relaunch and the Prime novelverse in general, the only difficult thing, I believe, is the epilogue with Jake, Kasidy and the baby. As I understand the sequence of events depicted in the relaunch, Sisko was back for his daughter's birth and stayed around for most of her infancy. Inferno strongly implied that Sisko was still in the wormhole at that point, IIRC.

Of course, given the 5-year gap with the relaunch right now, as well as the choices Sisko makes in RBOE, I think it would be possible to retcon that epilogue elegantly enough.

In my personal continuity, Millennium is kind of like the epic 6-part television special that relaunches Deep Space Nine into a weekly television show. Like, Millennium is a special, and then Season 8 commences with either A Stitch In Time or Avatar. (Or perhaps ASIT mixed with The Lives of Dax told within the context of Avatar?) I think Millennium's framing sequences of Sisko talking to the Prophets make a nice immediate follow up to What You Leave Behind.

Hmm, I'm trying to think of other inconsistencies between Millennium and the Prime novelverse... Millennium nicely ties up some loose threads from Emissary (most glaringly the autodestruct problem), but since so much of it resets in the end, I don't think there are many other "lasting" effects...
Paper Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2011, 09:36 PM   #40
Relayer1
Commodore

Too out there for me - and people bitch about PAD's excesses ! I like a lot of the Reeves Stevens's stuff but not this one (three).

And a whopping great 'reset' button. Which may have been the point, but...

Last edited by Relayer1; December 24 2011 at 01:14 AM.
Relayer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2011, 09:38 PM   #41
JWD75
Commander

Millenium is awesome. I would love for Reeves-Stevens to write a new trilogy outside of the Shatnerverse - preferably another one centered around DS9.
JWD75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2011, 09:55 PM   #42
DGCatAniSiri
Captain

I enjoyed it my last time through, though about my one complaint was that it felt like it was pointing a flashing neon light at Jadzia about her upcoming death. It was like being hit by the anvil of foreshadowing.
DGCatAniSiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2011, 10:29 PM   #43
Christopher
Writer

Paper Moon wrote: View Post
Millennium nicely ties up some loose threads from Emissary (most glaringly the autodestruct problem)...
Actually that was the main problem I had with it. I don't think there needed to be an explanation for why the Cardassians didn't blow up the station. I mean, when Sisko and Starfleet had to abandon the station at the end of season 5, they didn't blow it up either -- because they intended to take it back eventually. I think Dukat would've certainly felt the same way -- that ceding Terok Nor to Bajor was a temporary setback. So he would've had his people smash up the place to make it less valuable to its new occupiers, but leave it intact for when it fell back into his hands, as he always wanted it to.

DGCatAniSiri wrote: View Post
I enjoyed it my last time through, though about my one complaint was that it felt like it was pointing a flashing neon light at Jadzia about her upcoming death. It was like being hit by the anvil of foreshadowing.
Except the trilogy was published after the series ended (indeed, the frame story situates it as essentially a post-finale story), so it wasn't really foreshadowing, it was following up. It was meant to be read and reacted to with the full awareness of what had come after its events.

And I did like the poetic symmetry that, in a sense,

Old December 24 2011, 12:08 AM   #44
Reanok
Commodore

I really like the Ds9 Millenium books and have the omnibus I read the books again last year the story holds up really well. I likehow the ds9 characters are written in this series by the Reeves-Stevens at one time I thought the ds9 Millniumn was also going to include a Startrek ds9 video game that was canceled.I remember reading somewhere the Grigarri were created for the videogame.
Reanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2011, 12:12 AM   #45
F. King Daniel
Admiral

The game wasn't cancelled. It was called "Deep Space Nine: The Fallen" and it did have Grigari in it.
F. King Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote