Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 23 2011, 02:38 AM   #1
JediKnightButler
Captain

View JediKnightButler's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to JediKnightButler Send a message via AIM to JediKnightButler Send a message via Yahoo to JediKnightButler
Let Me In (Possible Spoilers)

My wife and I just watched "Let Me In" the other night and I thought that I'd start up a discussion thread about it. It was one of those movies (like "Knowing") that, at least for me, is so vivid that it seems to stick in my head and that I continue to think about for several days afterward. I thought it was a pretty strong movie in terms of the performances (esp. by Chloe Moretz) and storyline- dark and haunting though it may be- but I can't seem to decide whether or not I might want to own it (it happens to be on sale this week).
My wife doesn't seem particularly interested in watching it again and I'm not sure when I might watch it again either, particularly since I'd probably have to be in the right "state of mind" to do so, but something about intrigued me enough to want to possibly watch it again sometime down the line.
What did everybody else whom saw it think of it? What did everybody think about the ending? Did you like the ending or dislike it? Me, I personally wondered a lot throughout the movie about what the boy might end up doing (re: Abby) and, of course, by the end, we get the answer.
What was everybody's opinion about Abby? Victim or villain (or something else entirely)?
As the credits were rolling, I began wondering about whether or not the boy will eventually end up like Abby's other "caretaker" or whether he might take a different path at some point. The tragedy (or beauty of it depending on your point of view) of it is that, since the movie ended on a cliffhanger "note", we'll never know for sure but it is sure ripe for discussion IMHO. I welcome further discussion.
JediKnightButler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2011, 03:03 AM   #2
MetalPants
Rear Admiral

Re: Let Me In (Possible Spoilers)

I love this movie!

Abby- I would say both victim and villain. While not being a woman in a girl's body, she still plays upon the naivety of Owen. At the same time I think it is a story of two incredibly lonely and lost people finding each other.
Old February 23 2011, 03:11 AM   #3
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

I think Abby is long past the point of being a victim and has fully embraced the role of manipulator. Whatever genuine concern she might have for the boys/men she pulls into her world, the fact remains she needs them to kill for her, and in return they get... what, exactly?

My assumption is that she gets them while they're young, and by the time they're old enough to realize what they've gotten into, they've already killed on her behalf many times and are completely trapped in the situation.

I'd go as far as to say it's a tremendously abusive relationship, though not in the conventional sense one would define "abuse." More like an endless psychological torment inflicted upon them, subtly at first, but directed entirely by her until there is simply no escape but death.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2011, 03:17 AM   #4
Worf2DS9
Writer

I loved Let Me In. I bought it as a blind-buy based solely on the trailer released prior to its theatrical release, and I couldn't have been more pleased. The two young leads are excellent and the movie is gorgeously shot. Michael Giacchino's score was also very haunting as well.

As for the ending, I liked it. I didn't see it as a "cliffhanger" that sets up a theoretical sequel, but more as an ending that allows the viewer to simply wonder how events will unfold.

I certainly wouldn't call Abby a villain. She's more a tragic victim of her own nature, as is her caretaker in a strange way (played wonderfully by Richard Jenkins, btw).
+ Full Throttle Space Tales #3: Space Grunts - "Rush"
Worf2DS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2011, 05:50 AM   #5
JediKnightButler
Captain

View JediKnightButler's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to JediKnightButler Send a message via AIM to JediKnightButler Send a message via Yahoo to JediKnightButler

Worf2DS9 wrote: View Post
As for the ending, I liked it. I didn't see it as a "cliffhanger" that sets up a theoretical sequel, but more as an ending that allows the viewer to simply wonder how events will unfold.
Don't get me wrong. I thought it was a good ending too and I'd rather not see the story continued because, like you said, it allows us to speculate and wonder how subsequent events will unfold. I'd actually hate it if they did a sequel and would refuse to watch it if they did. Some things are better left unsaid (or unfilmed) IMHO.
JediKnightButler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2011, 08:41 AM   #6
species5618
Commodore

I would recommend checking out the original (and IMO superior) Swedish version of the film, Let the Right One In.

As much as I liked the Americanized film, the kids in the original film were more nuanced, subtle actors and I felt the story was structured better. The climactic pool sequence was way better in the Swedish version as well.
We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that.

Colonel Saul Tigh
species5618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2011, 10:26 PM   #7
davejames
Vice Admiral

species5618 wrote: View Post
I would recommend checking out the original (and IMO superior) Swedish version of the film, Let the Right One In.

As much as I liked the Americanized film, the kids in the original film were more nuanced, subtle actors and I felt the story was structured better. The climactic pool sequence was way better in the Swedish version as well.
I have to agree. The new version was certainly beautifully shot, and the young actors were quite good... but overall I found the original to be just a little bit creepier.

Not only the execution of the pool sequence-- the brighter lighting made it SO much eerier and more unexpected than the cliched moody lighting of the remake-- but the vampire effect for the girl was a helluva lot scarier too.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2011, 10:33 PM   #8
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

I agree that the original was better, although the two films are extremely similar, with only a few minor changes to the story.

The whole cat attack thing in the original totally didn't work for me, so I was glad they removed it from the remake.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2011, 11:23 PM   #9
davejames
Vice Admiral

I did find the final, foiled kill by the father in the remake to be MUCH more inventive and suspenseful though. The way things kept spiraling further and further out of control, finally ending up at the gas station, was freakin brilliant.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2011, 11:41 PM   #10
Ethros
Vice Admiral

It was ok. A poor man's Let The Right One In
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2011, 06:43 AM   #11
T.Geiger
Lieutenant Commander

I watched Let the Right One In and Let Me In back to back. I started with the Swedish release, expecting to like the American version better. The higher production values and non-foreign sensibilities usually win me over.

But I was way off. The thing is, the movie completely hangs on the girl's performance, and Hedebrant (Swedish) is significantly better than Moretz (American). They also chose a much better look for her in the Swedish film, using a combination of makeup and costume that definitely left the impression that there was something wrong with this girl.

As I think someone may have alluded to above, the uninvited entry scene is leagues better in the Swedish version. In fact, I kept wondering if they were going to actually do anything with it in the American ("...any second now").

As for the pool scene, I have seen a few people (including reviewers) say that they felt the Americans really screwed up the finale, but I honestly did not see enough of a difference to matter or care about. In fact, aside from a couple of positional / direction changes, they are nearly identical. Enh.

If I could mix and match though, I'd take the American boy. The Swedish boy (character) seemed much like a low-functioning retard whereas the American one just seemed like an average kid.

Also, I'd take some of the refinements made in the American script. Three in particular stick out in my mind, involving her first protector (the nature of their relationship), the note she leaves for the boy (timing), and another subplot I won't mention here (for spoiler reasons) that was entirely excised in the American version probably because it served no point (that added... what to the story?).

Is it better enough for a second viewing? Enh, probably not. Its still nearly the exact same plot (scene-for-scene almost). But if you are going to watch it again anyway, go ahead and pick up the Swedish version. Grab the BluRay edition though. I understand the DVD has some truly horrific subtitling.
T.Geiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2011, 06:26 PM   #12
el Chalupacabra
Lieutenant Commander

Ethros wrote: View Post
It was ok. A poor man's Let The Right One In
+1
el Chalupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2011, 11:47 PM   #13
marillion
Vice Admiral

View marillion's Twitter Profile

davejames wrote: View Post

I have to agree. The new version was certainly beautifully shot, and the young actors were quite good... but overall I found the original to be just a little bit creepier.

Not only the execution of the pool sequence-- the brighter lighting made it SO much eerier and more unexpected than the cliched moody lighting of the remake-- but the vampire effect for the girl was a helluva lot scarier too.
The original was a LOT creepier, if you ask me.. And if you want full on craziness/creepiness, read the book.. Holy crap!!

I'll be interested to see what happens when they (there's always a "they") make his second book Handling the Undead into a film.. The book is quite good..
Old February 25 2011, 03:07 AM   #14
Dark Gilligan
Writer

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
I'd go as far as to say it's a tremendously abusive relationship, though not in the conventional sense one would define "abuse." More like an endless psychological torment inflicted upon them, subtly at first, but directed entirely by her until there is simply no escape but death.
This. Any sympathy we feel for Abby is meant to echo the feelings that are stirred in the boys who try to "save" her. We want to believe that Owen is different from the other caretakers, that the love between he and Abby is real, but in truth we're shown no evidence of this. We're as much her victims as they are, which to me is brilliant filmmaking. Bravo to all. But yes, Abby is a monster... enormously skilled in manipulating those around her in order to survive. An author friend of mine (who loved the movie, btw) says that anyone who thinks this is a love story doesn't really understand what a healthy relationship truly is.
Old March 1 2011, 12:04 PM   #15
Starkers
Admiral

marillion wrote: View Post
davejames wrote: View Post

The original was a LOT creepier, if you ask me.. And if you want full on craziness/creepiness, read the book.. Holy crap!!

I'll be interested to see what happens when they (there's always a "they") make his second book Handling the Undead into a film.. The book is quite good..
I really want to read the book at some point. I guess I should see the US remake, but it just seems wrong with the original being so good.

On the subject of the differences between the two I think Mark Kermode made an interesting point. He said that Let Me In is a film about vampires that happens to feature children, whilst Let the Right One In is a film about children that happens to feature vampires...

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote