MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 22 2011, 06:43 PM   #1
theblitz
Lieutenant Commander

V, V and Final Conflict

So, I have started to watch V (the new version).

I never saw the original so the question is - should I?

Then the obvious follow-up is what about Final Conflict.

I watched a couple of episodes of that a long time back but never got into it. The problem was probably that single episodes just don't work in a single-arc story (I found the same with DS9 which I hated until I watched in order from the beginning).
theblitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2011, 06:45 PM   #2
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: V, V and Final Conflict

The first season of Earth: Final Conflict is far better than the entirety of the new V. It was kind of downhill from there, though.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2011, 06:53 PM   #3
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar

theblitz wrote: View Post

I watched a couple of episodes of that a long time back but never got into it. The problem was probably that single episodes just don't work in a single-arc story (I found the same with DS9 which I hated until I watched in order from the beginning).
The current V is a remake/reimagined version. The general idea is the same (aliens come to Earth, pretend to be our friends and give us technological advances, but are secretly after something nefarious and dastardly), but the way they go about it has no connection.

The only person on-screen in both is the actress who plays Diana. She was Diana (basically, the leader of the aliens at Earth) in the original. She also plays an unrelated character also named Diana (the deposed Queen, mother of the "queen" Anna) in the new series.

The first season of the new series tried to get bogged down with its plot and heavy-handed storytelling. The second season has gotten much better. It's like the writers finally realize they are doing a campy popcorn sci fi show with a big budget, and now they are giving it to us.
Old February 22 2011, 06:54 PM   #4
OmahaStar

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
The first season of Earth: Final Conflict is far better than the entirety of the new V. It was kind of downhill from there, though.
He's talking about V: The Final Battle. You should know this. Duh!

The first miniseries was simply called V. The second miniseries was V: The Final Battle. When it was a hit as well, they let it go to series, and we had one full season called V. It ended on a mild cliffhanger, which also works well as an end to the series. And cast changes were frequent.
Old February 22 2011, 06:57 PM   #5
theblitz
Lieutenant Commander

OmahaStar wrote: View Post
He's talking about V: The Final Battle
Actually I wasn't. I was talking about Earth: The Final Conflict.
Didn't even know about V: The Final Battle.

Getting more confused by the minute.
Old February 22 2011, 06:58 PM   #6
Brikar99
Rear Admiral

I liked the original 'V' mini-series, but the follow-up 'V: The Final Battle' wasn't nearly as good. I'd still say they're worth watching, though. If you have Netflix, both are available online for streaming.
Old February 22 2011, 07:01 PM   #7
timothy
Rear Admiral

View timothy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

watch the original series all of it . it's worth it then go and watch season one of V the new series . season 2 has only four episodes left . I am recording all ten episodes and watching them all in a mega marathon.

I also recomend THE EVENT.
timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2011, 07:11 PM   #8
OmahaStar

He's talking about V: The Final Battle
Actually I wasn't. I was talking about Earth: The Final Conflict.
Didn't even know about V: The Final Battle.

Getting more confused by the minute.
Then why were you asking about E:FC at the same time as V? There's no connection between them, they are completely separate unrelated series.
Old February 22 2011, 07:45 PM   #9
Christopher
Writer

Both the original V and Earth: Final Conflict are shows that start off strong and go seriously downhill when taken out of their original creative hands.

The original V miniseries written and directed by Kenneth Johnson is a classic. It's a bit cheesy, it's a knockoff of Arthur C. Clarke's Childhood's End in some ways (and so is Independence Day -- basically anything with giant alien ships hovering over major cities is a riff on that book), and it's kind of ludicrous from a scientific concept, but it's a potent allegory for the rise of Nazism and the Holocaust, a cautionary tale in the vein of It Can't Happen Here.

The sequel miniseries, V: The Final Battle, was taken out of Johnson's hands and abandoned his intended direction for the story, instead turning it into more of a soapy action thriller and giving it a resolution that was too pat and deus ex machina in a number of ways. Then came V: The Series, which dumbed things down and camped them up even further and suffered from a progressively tighter budget over the course of the season, eventually losing so many cast members that the entire Resistance seemed to have only four people in it (which, ironically, is what the current V series has been like for most of its run).

Earth: Final Conflict was based on a Gene Roddenberry pilot that was similar to V, but developer Richard C. Okie reworked it into a more nuanced, thoughtful tale featuring one of the most fascinatingly alien alien races ever seen in TV fiction. Neither good nor evil, the Taelons were simply so different in their mentality and worldview that their ideas of what was best for us couldn't entirely align with our own. So it was a fascinating, rich story that had a lot of philosophical nuance and ambiguity, although the lead actor was too bland for my tastes. Unfortunately, Okie was fired halfway through the first season and the show began its dumbing-down process. As time went on, the richly ambiguous Taelons were reduced more and more to conventional "good guy" and "bad guy" characters, the exploration of ideas and character nuance gave way to wackier high-concept sci-fi and action plots, and more and more characters either got killed off in favor of inadequate replacements or retooled into more simplistic personalities. By seasons 3-4 we'd ended up with two leads whose only character development seemed to be that they got progressively blonder over time.

Then in season 5, which was made only so that the failing show could reach the "magic number" of 100 episodes and hopefully recoup its costs in syndication and home-video sales, the whole format and storyline of E:FC were revamped into something much cheaper and nearly unrecognizable (often derided as a Buffy the Vampire Slayer knockoff of sorts), with only one or two cast members being kept. It's essentially a different show and few would consider it worth bothering with.

To sum up, the original V miniseries and the first season of Earth: Final Conflict are definitely recommended; V: The Final Battle and E:FC season 2-3 can be entertaining to an extent but are letdowns in comparison; and V: The Series and the last season or two of E:FC are eminently skippable.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2011, 07:53 PM   #10
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

The original V mini series (x2) were great fun.

The new V I haven't gotten around to yet so can't really comment.

EFC - first and second seasons I thought were very good. Sadly, after that, it was tripe.
Old February 22 2011, 08:02 PM   #11
timothy
Rear Admiral

View timothy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

I agree the first three season's of EARTH : FINAL CONFLICT AND THEN they go way off the story arc . I stayed with the show till the end hoped it would get better but did'nt . the same with andromeda started good went down hill change of story arc in the middle.
timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2011, 08:05 PM   #12
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

I must admit, Andromeda always at least retained the ability to keep me amused. Seeing Kev Sorbo hamming it up with pretentions of gravitas, hilarious.

I do agree though, despite it being a generally woeful show, the first two seasons were watchable.
Old February 22 2011, 08:12 PM   #13
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Christopher wrote: View Post
To sum up, the original V miniseries and the first season of Earth: Final Conflict are definitely recommended; V: The Final Battle and E:FC season 2-3 can be entertaining to an extent but are letdowns in comparison; and V: The Series and the last season or two of E:FC are eminently skippable.
I need to correct you on one point. EFC season 5 is terrible, yes; but season 4 is not. In fact, while it's a very different sort of show by then, its raw entertainment value is almost on a par with season 1. Certainly it's better than season 3.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2011, 08:33 PM   #14
theblitz
Lieutenant Commander

Then why were you asking about E:FC at the same time as V? There's no connection between them, they are completely separate unrelated series.
Because they are basically based on the same premise:
Aliens turning up and pretending to be the nice guys.
Even the names are similar "V: The Final Battle" and "Earth: Final Conflict".
Old February 22 2011, 08:41 PM   #15
Christopher
Writer

Because they are basically based on the same premise:
Aliens turning up and pretending to be the nice guys.
Well, not really. That does seem to have been the intent of Roddenberry's initial pilot, but in the series as Okie developed it, the Taelons actually did want to help humanity, but their ideas of what was best for us differed from ours because they didn't think like we did, and there was a specific thing they were trying to protect us from that (they believed) required them to manipulate and mislead us in certain ways. Basically they weren't so much malicious as paternalistic: "We're the grownups, we know better than these youngsters, so we're entitled to keep secrets and lie to them about things they aren't old enough to understand and discipline them when they misbehave or disobey us -- all for their own good, of course."

Though that changed when the character of Zo'or was introduced and was pretty much a black-hat bad guy from the start. It was soon afterward that Okie was let go (and I think Zo'or's creator then became the showrunner), and Zo'or became a regular character from then on, the clear-cut "bad" Taelon, leading Da'an to become more and more a "good" Taelon, rather than the original, ambiguous Da'an who could be ally or antagonist depending on the situation.

Even the names are similar "V: The Final Battle" and "Earth: Final Conflict".
Roddenberry's pilot for what became E:FC was titled Battleground Earth. It was changed to avoid confusion with L. Ron Hubbard's Battlefield: Earth. (And I always hated the title Earth: Final Conflict. Very awkward and not very meaningful.)

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote