Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old February 4 2011, 12:57 PM   #1
Commodore_Rook
Lieutenant Commander

Why did Nero care so much about the Defense codes?

When he "captures" Pike and insists he tell him the defense codes for Earth, Pike refuses and even forces that Mind Slug into his mouth to get the codes. Why did Nero even need them? Clearly nothing Starfleet had could even dent the Narada (as evident at Vulcan), there fore, was a waste of time. (yes I know, that was a plot device to "cripple" Pike so Kirk could take command and all that, but still, a futile excercise by Nero)
Old February 4 2011, 01:43 PM   #2
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Re: Why did Nero care so much about the Defense codes?

Well, Starfleet are a resourceful bunch. Nero had some knowledge of Earth (he knew Spock served on the Enterprise, and he recognized Kirk) and the Federation, so he probably knows about some or all of the instances where Earth's been on the verge of destruction yet pulled through (Xindi, V'Ger, whale probe, Borg, Borg again etc).

Better to be safe than sorry.
Old February 4 2011, 03:34 PM   #3
The Wormhole
Admiral

It was a useful way to kill some time and padd out the movie.
Old February 4 2011, 04:56 PM   #4
UssGlenn
Captain

definitely just a plot devise, but I we have to come up with a logical explanation...Since Earth is the location of Starfleet HQ and Vulcan isn't, perhaps Vulcan doesn't have the kind of planetary defenses Earth does and thus Nero doesn't need to get codes for Vulcan since there is nothing there to shut down.
Old February 4 2011, 06:17 PM   #5
Gojira
Commodore

It really is quite logical. I am sure in the 23rd century Earth has some space based security systems to ward off an alien attack and Nero wants to immobilize them in order for his drill to work so he can destroy the Earth.
Old February 5 2011, 05:24 AM   #6
bullethead
Fleet Captain

Space Therapist wrote: View Post
It really is quite logical. I am sure in the 23rd century Earth has some space based security systems to ward off an alien attack and Nero wants to immobilize them in order for his drill to work so he can destroy the Earth.
That plus he burned through most of his missiles after blowing up all those Klingon ships, probably all of Vulcan's orbital defenses, blowing up the Starfleet task force sent to Vulcan, and putting a salvo into the Enterprise.
Old February 5 2011, 08:51 AM   #7
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

Commodore_Rook wrote: View Post
When he "captures" Pike and insists he tell him the defense codes for Earth, Pike refuses and even forces that Mind Slug into his mouth to get the codes. Why did Nero even need them?
It's a Romulan thing. Shinzon needed them too for some reason, despite the fact that HIS ship could fire while cloaked. I guess it's some sort of Romulan warrior tradition that you must first extract your enemy's security code, or his briefcase code, or his locker combination, or his ATM pin number, or SOMETHING, before you're morally justified in attacking his planet.

Clearly nothing Starfleet had could even dent the Narada (as evident at Vulcan)
We don't really know that, do we? Earth's defenses are probably quite a bit tougher than Vulcan's, and Nero might be aware that, powerful as he is, he doesn't quite have enough ammunition to fight off four dozen orbiting phaser platforms all while drilling through the planet's core.
Old February 5 2011, 11:30 AM   #8
Pauln6
Rear Admiral

I don't understand why it should be that Earth's defences should be so much stronger than Vulcan. Isn't Vulcan closer to the Neutral Zone? If it's defences are weaker then it's yet another example of terrible writing or rather of a hopelessly inept Federation.

I favour the logic that Nero burned a lot of his resources but they had several opportunities to dent his invincibility (e.g. that he travels to Earth at less than warp 4 because his ship has been damaged in the fight with the Federation ships) but chose to gloss over the details. For some reason they want him to appear overwhelmingly invincable despite the fact that there is more excitement when the foes are more evenly matched per TWoK and this leaves us scratching our heads when they use these plot devices without any plot to back them up.

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2011, 03:53 PM   #9
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

Pauln6 wrote: View Post
I favour the logic that Nero burned a lot of his resources but they had several opportunities to dent his invincibility (e.g. that he travels to Earth at less than warp 4 because his ship has been damaged in the fight with the Federation ships) but chose to gloss over the details.
Why would you have expected him to give those details in the first place? It's bad enough that he's started monologing about his Feindish Master Plan, now you're expecting him to give Pike the latest damage reports and inventory lists?
Old February 5 2011, 04:05 PM   #10
doublegoodprole
Captain

I dunno...it seems that even as of 2367 Earth's space defenses consist largely of ships named Enterprise, a few pathetic ships near Mars, and just hanging there helplessly in space.
doublegoodprole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2011, 07:23 PM   #11
G2309
Captain

View G2309's Twitter Profile

Anything that gives him an advantage is worth getting. He doesn't want to sustain unecessary ship damage.

http://wondersandparodies.blogspot.c...y-scripts.html
G2309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2011, 08:45 PM   #12
UFO
Captain

KingDaniel wrote: View Post
... Nero had some knowledge of Earth (he knew Spock served on the Enterprise, and he recognized Kirk) and the Federation, so he probably knows about some or all of the instances where Earth's been on the verge of destruction yet pulled through (Xindi, V'Ger, whale probe, Borg, Borg again etc). ...
Yeah and he still thought he could win! He must have been crazy.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2011, 09:56 PM   #13
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

I figure it's becuase Nero though it would save him the trouble of having to take those defenses out, which is also probably why V'ger hacked the Earth defense systems in TMP dispite being all powerful.
Hartzilla2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2011, 07:58 PM   #14
ST-One
Vice Admiral

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
It was a useful way to kill some time and padd out the movie.
Of course.
ST-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2011, 08:26 PM   #15
6079SmithW
Vice Admiral

Well, Nero needed a way to circumvent starfleet's defenses because even the Narada would not be able to fend off an entire fleet of ships. The battle with the Kelvin was just one ship and the task force sent to vulcan was taken by surprise.

Nero did not know that most of starfleet was in another system and for all he knew earth, being the heart of the federation, was heavily guarded by fleets of ships as well as orbital defenses. His need for the defense codes was valid.

Even if Nero had somehow found out that most of starfleet was not at sol, we don't know if there were orbital defenses in place. Despite having a formidable ship, how would the Narada fair against say a hundred orbital weapons platforms firing continuously at the same time? It was a necessary precaution.
6079SmithW is offline   Reply With Quote