IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old April 8 2011, 05:39 AM   #61
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...
Re: NX01 Refit

I would've liked a fifth season, if only to bollocks up the plans for "These Are The Voyages..."
Captain Robert April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2011, 02:03 AM   #62
Mjolnir
Lieutenant

Considering the Romulan War might be gearing up around the time of a fifth season, would Starfleet bother taking Entperise out of the fight for the refit? Or would resources be better served just building a new design? They didnt go back and refit the Excelsior to match the Enterprise-B.
Old April 21 2011, 03:19 AM   #63
Jar Jar Binks
Admiral

I think it would make much more sense for the NX-03 (presumably named Challenger) to be the first NX to get the proposed refit, since construction on it likely began either shortly before Columbia's launch or not long afterward.
Jar Jar Binks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2011, 01:53 AM   #64
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

Mjolnir wrote: View Post
Considering the Romulan War might be gearing up around the time of a fifth season, would Starfleet bother taking Entperise out of the fight for the refit? Or would resources be better served just building a new design? They didnt go back and refit the Excelsior to match the Enterprise-B.
A new build would take around three years, whereas that refit could be done in a matter of a couple of months, maybe even a matter of weeks, depending on the urgency and how prepared the spacedock crew is.
Old April 22 2011, 02:06 AM   #65
Mjolnir
Lieutenant

Captain Robert April wrote: View Post
Mjolnir wrote: View Post
A new build would take around three years, whereas that refit could be done in a matter of a couple of months, maybe even a matter of weeks, depending on the urgency and how prepared the spacedock crew is.
True. A lot of variables come into such speculation, though. Materials, battle situations, and suchnot.
Old April 22 2011, 04:26 AM   #66
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

KJbushway wrote: View Post
^ I would have loved to have a fifth season, just with anyother ship than that.
Uglier starships have headlined Trek series before (Voyager, NuEnteprise, etc). They invariably grow on us once we see them in action. Hell, NX-01 itself was pretty fugly when we first got to meet her, but after a while we started to like her.

If you can't have the Enterprise you love, love the Enterprise you have.
Old April 22 2011, 12:42 PM   #67
{ Google Spy }
{ mostly harmless }

newtype_alpha wrote: View Post
Uglier starships have headlined Trek series before (Voyager, NuEnteprise, etc). They invariably grow on us once we see them in action. Hell, NX-01 itself was pretty fugly when we first got to meet her, but after a while we started to like her.

I totally agree with this. NX-01 was by far not the ugliest ship we've seen. I mean... people don't question it anymore cause we're so used to it but does anybody actually think that the Enterprise D is an elegant design?
The duck in space???
The ridiculously large, odd-shaped saucer section?

And still I love TNG and even the ship a lot.
{ Google Spy } is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2011, 04:02 AM   #68
RAMA
Vice Admiral

{ Emilia } wrote: View Post
newtype_alpha wrote: View Post

I totally agree with this. NX-01 was by far not the ugliest ship we've seen. I mean... people don't question it anymore cause we're so used to it but does anybody actually think that the Enterprise D is an elegant design?
The duck in space???
The ridiculously large, odd-shaped saucer section?

And still I love TNG and even the ship a lot.
Yup, the E-D is like a sculpture..beautiful, molded and sleek.

Old May 5 2011, 05:16 PM   #69
BSG-Ajax
Ensign

Send a message via AIM to BSG-Ajax Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BSG-Ajax

The refit of the Enterprise NX-01 seeemed a bit too much overkill since the orginal design I liked better... Besides that additional mass sure would have made her ungainly to pilot with that semi-engineering hull added on for "increased deflector performance blah blah blah..." Keep with the original design more easier to upgrade all of the ship systems inside the existing space frame....* BSG-Ajax grins* So that is my opinion on the subject....
BSG-Ajax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2011, 11:20 AM   #70
Captain Atkin
Commander

I am not a fan of this design at all.
Captain Atkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2011, 10:07 PM   #71
Elvira
Vice Admiral

Cpt. Porthos wrote: View Post
I'm curious as to what everyone feels about the design

While I didn't really care for this refit ~slash~ upgrade at first, it has begun to grow on me.

I wanted to ask everyone if I'm interpreting a feature correctly. In between where the engine struts join the secondary hull there is this thingy here, now the NX-01's shuttle pods are fairly small and this look like what I'll call a "heavy lander" set into a docking cradle.

It looks to be about two and a half decks tall, twenty some feet wide and over forty feet long (or more tucked into that over hang). The ability to carry this might in of itself be reason enough to incorporate a secondary hull onto the NX design. Especially if the NX were to be carrying and landing groups of MACO's.

Last edited by BeautifulAndTerribleRomantic; May 17 2011 at 06:33 PM. Reason: major page stretchy syndrome
Elvira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2011, 12:39 AM   #72
F. King Daniel
Admiral

That's just the thingy that's usually between the nacelle pylons on the standard NX-01, only it's been lowered and attached to the new secondary hull.
F. King Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2011, 01:25 AM   #73
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Someone at Starfleet finally figured out that it might be a good idea to be able to get at that thingie directly, without having to deploy an inspection pod to get to it.
Old May 17 2011, 06:35 PM   #74
BeautifulAndTerribleRomantic
love me and despair

Gang, since this has become a quasi-picture thread, it's okay to post pics a bit larger than the guidelines (640p wide max)--and btw, try to keep it below 800p, okay? I have a widescreen computer and even I have to scroll left and right.

Also, if you post more than one large image, please hit "enter" in between to stack them and avoid a major case of Page Stretchy Syndrome. Thanks.
Old May 19 2011, 10:17 AM   #75
Timo
Admiral

Someone at Starfleet finally figured out that it might be a good idea to be able to get at that thingie directly, without having to deploy an inspection pod to get to it.
...The fact that it's still mounted on rails would seem to suggest that it's fairly important for one's self-survival to be able to eject the damn thing in a split second. Access is probably a secondary concern. And one might think that it was originally mounted so far away from everything else exactly because nobody in his right mind would go anywhere near it, at least not before it was allowed to cool down for a decade or two.

Sure, it has what looks like a docking port on it. But it's actually one of 'em circular gunports, seen firing a phase beam in S3 and S4. (Naah, it is a docking port if one looks close enough - but the onscreen use as a gunport isn't such a blatant VFX error when one squints a bit, as the two features are almost identical from a distance.)

FWIW, in S3 there was a photonic torpedo launcher there, in a separate and carefully constructed location just below the round 'port; it had sliding hatches, the smooth seams of which we conveniently missed in most shots. I wonder if that feature is still supposed to be there in the refit...

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote