TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old February 21 2011, 02:31 PM   #16
Vinkula
Lieutenant Commander

Re: NX01 Refit

I love the NX-01 refit design!
Old February 28 2011, 02:55 PM   #17
pimp
Commander

I'm Sorry but that is just plain horrible
Old February 28 2011, 03:28 PM   #18
ChristopherPike
Rear Admiral

I didn't like it to start with but it's grown on me. Leaving a deflector disc on the saucer as a redundancy bothered me to be honest and I even asked Doug Drexler over on his site, if he thought the secondary hull ought to be that big. I'd seen other fan attempts, where one fitted in further back, underneath the two main pylons holding impulse engines on either side. I forget what his response was, but he took my rookie question in good humour. His answer I think, was that adding a smaller hull wouldn't be bold enough a change.

I've had quite a bit of fun, in the months since, imagining a continuing series in which the refit happened. I'd love to think this kind of alteration happened for the NX-01 during its lifetime, in the way the NCC-1701 underwent changes between TOS and TMP, albeit not as radical.

Last edited by ChristopherPike; February 28 2011 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Re-read and decided to add.
ChristopherPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2011, 04:00 AM   #19
Leathco
Lieutenant Commander

I don't care much for it. I don't mind the refit having a secondary hull, but the style looks atrocious. A smaller secondary hull, bolted directly underneath the rear of the saucer section, would be more in line IMO.
Old March 6 2011, 03:20 PM   #20
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

ChristopherPike wrote: View Post

I've had quite a bit of fun, in the months since, imagining a continuing series in which the refit happened. I'd love to think this kind of alteration happened for the NX-01 during its lifetime, in the way the NCC-1701 underwent changes between TOS and TMP, albeit not as radical.
I think this 'refit' is every bit as radical as the one the Enterprise underwent in TMP. Internally the NX-01 is probably a radically different ship.
Old March 6 2011, 05:54 PM   #21
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

Internally, NX-01 isn't altered much at all with this refit. Even the original warp core is still in place.
Captain Robert April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2011, 07:32 PM   #22
BillJ
Admiral

Captain Robert April wrote: View Post
Internally, NX-01 isn't altered much at all with this refit. Even the original warp core is still in place.
Then what exactly is the secondary hull for? Grain transport? And why does it have straight line connections to the warp nacelles?
Old March 6 2011, 09:22 PM   #23
Hanukkah Solo
Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
Then what exactly is the secondary hull for? Grain transport?
Just to make it look more like the TOS Enterprise, basically.

I prefer to ignore the deflector dish on the saucer section and imagine that the secondary hull was added to house a new and more advanced (but much larger) warp core and deflector dish, so they moved engineering, deflector control, and the shuttlebay down to the new hull, then used all that extra space created in the saucer section to add new sensor suites, weapon upgrades, etc.
Hanukkah Solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2011, 10:18 PM   #24
BillJ
Admiral

Skywalker wrote: View Post
Then what exactly is the secondary hull for? Grain transport?
Just to make it look more like the TOS Enterprise, basically.

I prefer to ignore the deflector dish on the saucer section and imagine that the secondary hull was added to house a new and more advanced (but much larger) warp core and deflector dish, so they moved engineering, deflector control, and the shuttlebay down to the new hull, then used all that extra space created in the saucer section to add new sensor suites, weapon upgrades, etc.
So the NX-01 refit would be massively different internally?
Old March 6 2011, 11:27 PM   #25
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

The secondary hull houses a more powerful warp core, enabling the ship go a lot faster and a lot further, but it's an add-on to the existing ship, so the original warp core, and the original engine room, is still there, basically as a backup.

So, NO, the ship is not massively different internally.
Captain Robert April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2011, 11:27 PM   #26
Hanukkah Solo
Admiral

So the NX-01 refit would be massively different internally?
Only in my mind. Not in the mind of Doug Drexler.
Hanukkah Solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2011, 11:51 PM   #27
BillJ
Admiral

The secondary hull houses a more powerful warp core, enabling the ship go a lot faster and a lot further, but it's an add-on to the existing ship, so the original warp core, and the original engine room, is still there, basically as a backup.

So, NO, the ship is not massively different internally.
It doesn't really make a lot of sense to bolt on a secondary hull to a deep space explorer that offers no additional capacity to the ship (crew, science labs, weapons, supplies). And wouldn't the nacelles and support struts have to increase in size to accommodate two different warp drives with different power levels feeding them? Not to mention that even with a more powerful warp core you probably wouldn't gain much in the way of speed without larger warp coils... which would necessitate new warp nacelles.

I like a lot of Drexler's work... but the NX-01 refit just comes across as plain lazy.

Last edited by BillJ; March 7 2011 at 12:04 AM.
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2011, 04:45 PM   #28
timothy
Rear Admiral

View timothy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

So is this what the enterprise looks like in the ROMULAN war ? If it is I can understand why it looks so butch . So I am guesing the crew complement has doubled or possible even trippled . It should'nt even be considered a nx class anymore it look like a battleship.
timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2011, 04:55 PM   #29
antiquityscion
Commander

It doesn't look bad, but it would not have been needed. The NX01 looked fine as is.

Kinda moot and I guess we will never know if they would actually have gone through with it.
antiquityscion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2011, 05:39 PM   #30
RAMA
Vice Admiral

You know I'm in complete shock that the refit works.

RAMA