NX01 Refit

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by Cpt. Porthos, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Cpt. Porthos

Cpt. Porthos Ensign Red Shirt

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's hideous. Utterly ruined the graceful and sleek design of the NX-01.

It was never planned for season five. (original NX-01 designer) Doug Drexler did it years after the show was cancelled for his own amusement, and a Trek calender picture.

Mirror Mirror likes this.
  3. Cpt. Porthos

Cpt. Porthos Ensign Red Shirt

Yeah i know it was made later.. but he mentioned he would have liked to have been able to see it in season 5

4. 6079SmithW

6079SmithW Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't like it at all. In fact, I hate it. It ruins the NX which looked just fine as is. Its just a bad kitbash, really, and looks ridiculous.

WraithDukat likes this.
  5. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

It looks pretty stupid with the impulse engines sticking out like that, not to mention the two deflector dishes. I don't see the need to add a secondary hull to the NX class; I prefer to imagine the secondary hull was introduced with the Daedalus class (because of the new--and huge--warp seven engines requiring a lot more space).

WraithDukat likes this.
  6. BDJ

BDJ Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Yuck!!

7. BlobVanDam

BlobVanDam Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That's a nasty angle, and also it's the toy and not the CG model. I actually don't mind the refit design, although I don't think it was necessary to bring it closer to the 1701. The NX-01 looked great as it was, Akira copy or not.

8. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought the refit was ugly when Doug first showed it off, and I still think it's ugly now. A key difference is, I didn't like it at first but I really like it now that some time has passed. It's squat and unattractive, and just plain awkward, which I think makes it more appealing as a chunky prototype of the more refined Starfleet ships that would come later. The NX-01 has always felt a little too sleek to play the part of an experimental first-of-its-kind ship, and this design rectifies that.

9. Quinton O'Connor

Quinton O'Connor Commodore Commodore

I've never cared for it. Gep points out that the ship always looked a bit too sleek and I concur, but if this were the alternative, no thanks.

10. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Well, I have to admit I kinda like the refit version. Somehow it makes the ship look older and more in line with the later incarnations.

11. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

This.

12. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

I don't think I can answer this question without being biased, as I've always hated the NX-01 because of its origins as the Akira class. Now that being said, I think anything that makes the ship look less like the Akira is a good thing to me. However, I'd also get rid of the deflector dish on the saucer (redundant now), and the saucer impulse engines (the catamarans already have impulse engines!), to make the saucer completely round. Although I would have done that anyway regardless of the secondary hull.

13. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

:techman: :beer:

14. el Chalupacabra

el Chalupacabra Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I actually kind of like that idea of an NX01 refit, but I doubt even if Enterprise went on to season 5 it would have happened, nor would it have been needed.
    http://www.starshipmodeler.biz/shop/images/products/starcrafts/sc-38_box.jpg

I gotta say though, it reminds me of the Gabe Kooerner Enterprise concepts, especially the secondary hull:

http://trekmovie.com/2008/12/13/gabriel-koerners-weighs-in-on-new-uss-enterprise/

http://img.trekmovie.com/images/koernerprise1.jpg

http://img.trekmovie.com/images/koernerprise2.jpg

el Chalupacabra, we don't allow hotlinked images at TrekBBS. If you want to post an image, transfer it to a photo-storage site such as Photobucket, then post from there. For more information on image posting, read the FAQ or this post by one of our Admins. Thanks. --HR

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2011
  15. Quinton O'Connor

Quinton O'Connor Commodore Commodore

You know, part of the key to my enjoyment of ENT rests in the fact that I'm not much of a canon conscript. I like things to flow as well as possible but even as a teenager when the show premiered I was pretty quickly made aware that certain things didn't quite click to their fullest possible extent... and I got over it early on.

I've always been fond of the NX-01's design. I find it more beautiful than almost any other significant ship in the franchise. The only crucial gems that I prefer over it are the TOS refit and the Abramsverse Enterprise.

16. Vinkula

Vinkula Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I love the NX-01 refit design! :)

nightwind1 likes this.
  17. pimp

pimp Commander Red Shirt

I'm Sorry but that is just plain horrible

18. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I didn't like it to start with but it's grown on me. Leaving a deflector disc on the saucer as a redundancy bothered me to be honest and I even asked Doug Drexler over on his site, if he thought the secondary hull ought to be that big. I'd seen other fan attempts, where one fitted in further back, underneath the two main pylons holding impulse engines on either side. I forget what his response was, but he took my rookie question in good humour. His answer I think, was that adding a smaller hull wouldn't be bold enough a change.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I've had quite a bit of fun, in the months since, imagining a continuing series in which the refit happened. I'd love to think this kind of alteration happened for the NX-01 during its lifetime, in the way the NCC-1701 underwent changes between TOS and TMP, albeit not as radical.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
  19. Leathco

Leathco Commander Red Shirt

I don't care much for it. I don't mind the refit having a secondary hull, but the style looks atrocious. A smaller secondary hull, bolted directly underneath the rear of the saucer section, would be more in line IMO.

20. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I think this 'refit' is every bit as radical as the one the Enterprise underwent in TMP. Internally the NX-01 is probably a radically different ship.