Mulgrew: Playing Red
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

IDW Publishing Comic Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old February 25 2011, 05:11 AM   #1
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Trying to remember an episode.

Hi,
Trying to remember an episode of Voyager that dealt with an alternate reality version and main reality version of voyager. Not sure if I remember it right, but I think that the ship in one of the realities was destroyed but not before the Harry Kim of that reality making it to the surviving Voyager.

The reason I need help is that it occurred to me that this brings up a conundrum. Either main reality Voyager was destroyed and from that point on we are following "our" Harry Kim's adventures in an alternate reality - or - "our" Harry Kim died and from that point on "our" Voyager has alternate Harry Kim.

So, what am I remembering wrong?
Old February 25 2011, 05:26 AM   #2
JanewayRulz!
Vice Admiral

Re: Trying to remember an episode.

Season 2, Deadlock

Harry and Ensign Wildman's new born babe died on the partially destroyed Voyager, and Harry Kim from the healthy Voyager ( that unfortunately was boarded by the vidians) carried THAT Ensign Wildman's baby to the damaged Voyager.

The ep ended with one of the most often quoted lines in Voyager...

JANEWAY: It's good to have you back, Ensign.
KIM: Thank you, I think.
JANEWAY: Something wrong?
KIM: I'm not sure. I mean, this isn't really my ship, and you're not really my captain. And yet, you are and there's no difference. But I know there's a difference. Or is there? It's all a little weird.
JANEWAY: Mister Kim, we're Starfleet officers. Weird is part of the job.

You aren't remembering anything "wrong".
Old February 25 2011, 08:24 AM   #3
sojourner
Vice Admiral

So, depending on your point of view, we could have been watching an alternate timeline for the final 5 seasons. Wooo, that makes the show that much easier to handle. So many travesties dismissed with a simple phrase: alternate timeline/universe.
Old February 25 2011, 08:32 AM   #4
froot
Fleet Captain

sojourner wrote: View Post
So, depending on your point of view, we could have been watching an alternate timeline for the final 5 seasons. Wooo, that makes the show that much easier to handle. So many travesties dismissed with a simple phrase: alternate timeline/universe.
No. It was not an alternate timeline. The ship itself was split in two. In the same timeline.

So, yes, you are remembering incorrectly.
froot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2011, 09:43 AM   #5
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

A spacial scission was duplicatiing the matter of the ship but not the antimatter. i went through this last month...

EMH 2: She's still unconscious.
KES 2: I ran a microcellular scan. We're almost identical in every way.
JANEWAY 2: Almost?
EMH 2: There's a slight phase-shift in her DNA. Do you have any theory about where she came from?
JANEWAY 2: Not yet. But I intend to find out. Can you wake her?
EMH 2: I believe so.
Kes who travelled over, her Naomi died. She had the phaseshift in her dna. She was fake. The replacement Naomi and replacement Kim were both real mastermolds which did not have phaseshifts in their dna.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2011, 02:52 PM   #6
Jeff O'Connor
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to Jeff O'Connor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Jeff O'Connor

Funny thing, that episode. When I was a kid I always wanted a subscription to all the Star Trek magazines but, growing up poor, it wasn't going to happen. And yet somehow -- and I'll be damned if I can remember how -- I wound up with some special edition of the main magazine, as well as the issues for DS9 and VOY, from around the time "Deadlock" aired.

They had a big special on that one, so what with me being a kid, I took this to mean that it was an incredibly important 'event' episode and super-big.

I've never quite shaken that belief from my system, which is cool because, hey, it's a pretty good ep.
Old February 25 2011, 06:02 PM   #7
sojourner
Vice Admiral

So, its still sounds to me like we could have been following a "fake" voyager for 5 seasons. Or at least a real voyager with a fake Harry Kim onboard.
Old February 25 2011, 06:05 PM   #8
BlobVanDam
Fleet Captain

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BlobVanDam Send a message via Yahoo to BlobVanDam

So, its still sounds to me like we could have been following a "fake" voyager for 5 seasons. Or at least a real voyager with a fake Harry Kim onboard.
We'll go with fake Harry Kim. Somehow it just doesn't feel like he deserves to be real.
BlobVanDam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2011, 06:44 PM   #9
exodus
Fleet Admiral

No, both Harry Kim & Voyager were real.
They were no more fake than Siamese twins are.

Seriously, just watch the ep. again.
Old February 25 2011, 07:53 PM   #10
froot
Fleet Captain

As a few folks mentioned, it is a pretty neat episode (I had no idea it was featured in a Trek mag!) It's worth a rewatch.
froot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2011, 08:13 PM   #11
Vinkula
Lieutenant Commander

My favourite Season 2 episode (: And copying others, we aren't watching wrong Voyager. Well from season 4 Demon to Season 5's Course: Oblivion.
Old February 25 2011, 08:49 PM   #12
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

exodus wrote: View Post

Explain the phase shift in the dna of the duplicated crew?

The two crews are not identical.

Old February 25 2011, 09:05 PM   #13
exodus
Fleet Admiral

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
exodus wrote: View Post

Explain the phase shift in the dna of the duplicated crew?

The two crews are not identical.
According to the ep., they were.

Be'Lanna & Janeway said that both Voyager & crew were identical but joined by anti-matter. They couldn't even explain the phase shift in the show because when Harry asks about what is real and what isn't, they blantently don't even try answering it. So, it really doesn't mean anything.
Old February 25 2011, 10:15 PM   #14
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

B'Elanna and Janeway were using their "eyes" to create such a supposition. Their eyes wouldn't be able to tell the difference between real and androids, real and holograms, real and quicksilver or real and surgically altered Romulans.

Human eyes, even Vulcan eyes and Klingon eyes are just shit for microcellular examination.

Kes on the other hand used a microcellular scanner to compare her otherself to what was on record as "normal" for the both of them.

Different.

Of course you can either say that imperfect copies were created, the originals were corrupted by the duplication process while creating perfect copies, or that initially they were identical until one crew/ship were shunted out of phase with the other so that they could coexist in the same space time which corrupted their DNA.

Old February 25 2011, 10:26 PM   #15
exodus
Fleet Admiral

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post

Of course you can either say that imperfect copies were created, the originals were corrupted by the duplication process while creating perfect copies, or that initially they were identical until one crew/ship were shunted out of phase with the other so that they could coexist in the same space time which corrupted their DNA.
However what I did say was they didn't bother to explain it, so it doesn't matter.