RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 137,875
Posts: 5,329,105
Members: 24,556
Currently online: 595
Newest member: EvyR55

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Inquisition
By: Michelle on Jul 12

Cubify Star Trek 3DMe Mini Figurines
By: T'Bonz on Jul 11

Latest Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Jul 10

Seven of Nine Bobble Head
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

Pegg The Prankster
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

More Trek Stars Join Unbelievable!!!!!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old February 17 2011, 08:29 PM   #1
PikeFan
Commander
 
PikeFan's Avatar
 
Location: In My Writing Room
View PikeFan's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to PikeFan Send a message via Yahoo to PikeFan
Chakotay.. please don't attack me

Just a few questions. PLEASE don't flame, I was logical responses.

Other than being easy on my eyes, Beltran was a convincing Indian (Native American) his beliefs were well known and intrigued me. I even took up meditating because of this.

Why all the hate?

Do you dislike Chakotay because you dislike Beltran? (Beltran can be abrasive, but I like him that way, he's honest.)

Do you think he was a bad captain? (IMO, he wasn't right as a leader, until later on in the series)
__________________
Pike: What're you doing here?
Kirk: Just following orders!
Me: Thanks Jim!
PikeFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2011, 08:45 PM   #2
froot
Fleet Captain
 
froot's Avatar
 
Location: Guarding the Compound with the Grey Wardens
Re: Chakotay.. please don't attack me

I think Beltran's sleepy acting is what ruined Chakotay for me at times. I don't mind someone being honest and all, but RB often talked crap while also phoning in everything he did. And, IMO, he was pretty sleepy from the outset of the series. He could be good and animated when he felt like it, but it was kinda rare.

I don't hate the Chakotay character, though. Never have. I think it's a shame we didn't get into what happened to him and his world like they talked about in Pathways, though.

I don't think he was a bad captain or leader, either. When he had to take control, he always did fine. And he clearly knew how to keep his Maquis cell alive pre-Voyager. The only time he borked things up was in Scorpion II, when he really should have continued following Janeway's plan. It was way too late to back out at that point.
froot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2011, 08:53 PM   #3
PikeFan
Commander
 
PikeFan's Avatar
 
Location: In My Writing Room
View PikeFan's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to PikeFan Send a message via Yahoo to PikeFan
Re: Chakotay.. please don't attack me

froot, thanks for the kind sentiment. There's a lot of hate out there (ST official) where I got attacked for my love for the Chakotay character. I agree that at times he seemed to just go with it for his character, less passion than could've been
__________________
Pike: What're you doing here?
Kirk: Just following orders!
Me: Thanks Jim!
PikeFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2011, 09:50 PM   #4
Shatnertage
Rear Admiral
 
Shatnertage's Avatar
 
Location: Ward Fowler's gofer.
View Shatnertage's Twitter Profile
Re: Chakotay.. please don't attack me

Yeah, my own attempt at a positive evaluation of Chakotay didn't go so well, in the "Was Chakotay the most Kirk-like character, post Kirk?" thread.

I think I started that someone in Season Two. Now that I'm into Season Five, I can see where the detractors were coming from. At first I thought he was a mellow but cool character...then I thought, well, he's content to let other people drive while he admires the scenery. Now, he just looks like a character played by an actor who's lost interest. It's a shame, because the character has a lot of potential.
__________________
I don't say 'sabotage.' You say 'sabotage.' I say 'sabataage."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlOTRxt-dIw
Shatnertage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2011, 10:05 PM   #5
PikeFan
Commander
 
PikeFan's Avatar
 
Location: In My Writing Room
View PikeFan's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to PikeFan Send a message via Yahoo to PikeFan
Re: Chakotay.. please don't attack me

shatnertage wrote: View Post
Yeah, my own attempt at a positive evaluation of Chakotay didn't go so well, in the "Was Chakotay the most Kirk-like character, post Kirk?" thread.

I think I started that someone in Season Two. Now that I'm into Season Five, I can see where the detractors were coming from. At first I thought he was a mellow but cool character...then I thought, well, he's content to let other people drive while he admires the scenery. Now, he just looks like a character played by an actor who's lost interest. It's a shame, because the character has a lot of potential.
Beltran did seem bored toward the end.

*Thanks for being kind*
__________________
Pike: What're you doing here?
Kirk: Just following orders!
Me: Thanks Jim!
PikeFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2011, 10:09 PM   #6
6079SmithW
Vice Admiral
 
6079SmithW's Avatar
 
Re: Chakotay.. please don't attack me

I had no problems with Chakotay. I didn't even know that Beltran disliked the role or was phoning it in the whole time until I started poking around this forum. Maybe its because I like laid back actors/characters.
__________________
Sir Isaac Newton is the deadliest son-of-a-bitch in space.
6079SmithW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2011, 10:19 PM   #7
PikeFan
Commander
 
PikeFan's Avatar
 
Location: In My Writing Room
View PikeFan's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to PikeFan Send a message via Yahoo to PikeFan
Re: Chakotay.. please don't attack me

6079,

I totally agree with you!
__________________
Pike: What're you doing here?
Kirk: Just following orders!
Me: Thanks Jim!
PikeFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2011, 10:31 PM   #8
HoneyBLilly
Commodore
 
HoneyBLilly's Avatar
 
Location: Tumblr Gardens
Re: Chakotay.. please don't attack me

It was definitely Beltran's wooden acting for me. I liked Chakotay the first four seasons or so but towards the latter half of season five he just got incredibly bland.

Beltran was/is yummy and he can act but he really shows it in his acting if he doesn't like the script.
__________________
HoneyBLilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2011, 10:35 PM   #9
PikeFan
Commander
 
PikeFan's Avatar
 
Location: In My Writing Room
View PikeFan's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to PikeFan Send a message via Yahoo to PikeFan
Re: Chakotay.. please don't attack me

mairbeariepie, I've noticed that with Beltran. Thanks for the kindness!
__________________
Pike: What're you doing here?
Kirk: Just following orders!
Me: Thanks Jim!
PikeFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2011, 10:36 PM   #10
Shatnertage
Rear Admiral
 
Shatnertage's Avatar
 
Location: Ward Fowler's gofer.
View Shatnertage's Twitter Profile
Re: Chakotay.. please don't attack me

Usually when he got to do action stuff he was pretty motivated. The big exception I can think of is "Nemesis." The first half was him with those slow-talking people on the planet, and with no one energetic for him to bounce off, it just killed the episode.
__________________
I don't say 'sabotage.' You say 'sabotage.' I say 'sabataage."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlOTRxt-dIw
Shatnertage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2011, 10:50 PM   #11
PikeFan
Commander
 
PikeFan's Avatar
 
Location: In My Writing Room
View PikeFan's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to PikeFan Send a message via Yahoo to PikeFan
Re: Chakotay.. please don't attack me

shatnertage wrote: View Post
Usually when he got to do action stuff he was pretty motivated. The big exception I can think of is "Nemesis." The first half was him with those slow-talking people on the planet, and with no one energetic for him to bounce off, it just killed the episode.
I noticed that. (Thanks for the kindness, I'm used to the official boarders to jump down my throat)
__________________
Pike: What're you doing here?
Kirk: Just following orders!
Me: Thanks Jim!
PikeFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2011, 10:57 PM   #12
HoneyBLilly
Commodore
 
HoneyBLilly's Avatar
 
Location: Tumblr Gardens
Re: Chakotay.. please don't attack me

They shouldn't jump down your throat. It's an honest question. But there are some subjects here that are like taboo to mention. Beltran/Chakotay being one of them.

This is just what I've observed.
__________________
HoneyBLilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2011, 11:04 PM   #13
Lynx
Rear Admiral
 
Lynx's Avatar
 
Location: Lynx Empire
Re: Chakotay.. please don't attack me

PikeFan wrote: View Post
Just a few questions. PLEASE don't flame, I was logical responses.

Other than being easy on my eyes, Beltran was a convincing Indian (Native American) his beliefs were well known and intrigued me. I even took up meditating because of this.

Why all the hate?

Do you dislike Chakotay because you dislike Beltran? (Beltran can be abrasive, but I like him that way, he's honest.)

Do you think he was a bad captain? (IMO, he wasn't right as a leader, until later on in the series)
I think that Beltran is a very good actor and I also think that Chakotay is a great character. In fact. he's my second favorite after Kes.

Unfortunately, he was under-used, especially in the later seasons which I blame the writers for.

I have a theory about the hatred against Beltran. I think that some people dislike him because he had the guts to speak out about what was wrong with the way those in charge did run the series. That hatred spills over to the character Chakotay too.
__________________
Who'd let that cat in here?

Welcome to visit the Kes Website at: http://lynx677.byethost12.com
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2011, 11:39 PM   #14
PikeFan
Commander
 
PikeFan's Avatar
 
Location: In My Writing Room
View PikeFan's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to PikeFan Send a message via Yahoo to PikeFan
Re: Chakotay.. please don't attack me

Lynx, aww thanks!

I agree about Beltran being hated because he spoke out too much.

I wonder why Chakotay was underused?
__________________
Pike: What're you doing here?
Kirk: Just following orders!
Me: Thanks Jim!
PikeFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2011, 12:05 AM   #15
froot
Fleet Captain
 
froot's Avatar
 
Location: Guarding the Compound with the Grey Wardens
Re: Chakotay.. please don't attack me

Lynx wrote: View Post
PikeFan wrote: View Post
Just a few questions. PLEASE don't flame, I was logical responses.

Other than being easy on my eyes, Beltran was a convincing Indian (Native American) his beliefs were well known and intrigued me. I even took up meditating because of this.

Why all the hate?

Do you dislike Chakotay because you dislike Beltran? (Beltran can be abrasive, but I like him that way, he's honest.)

Do you think he was a bad captain? (IMO, he wasn't right as a leader, until later on in the series)
I think that Beltran is a very good actor and I also think that Chakotay is a great character. In fact. he's my second favorite after Kes.

Unfortunately, he was under-used, especially in the later seasons which I blame the writers for.

I have a theory about the hatred against Beltran. I think that some people dislike him because he had the guts to speak out about what was wrong with the way those in charge did run the series. That hatred spills over to the character Chakotay too.
I dunno. I don't mind that he spoke out (although some of it was quite harsh.) I do mind that he spoke out and also didn't properly do the job he was paid to do. It really looked bad. He was literally reading his lines out of the bottom of those stainless steel coffee cups. Even if they didn't want to give him a lot of material for whatever reason, he should have done what he had as well as he could.

And I don't hate the character for it.
froot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:08 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.