Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Tech

Trek Tech Pass me the quantum flux regulator, will you?

Old January 20 2014, 01:10 AM   #1
Pippin209
Ensign

Best AI in Star Trek

Ive been wondering for a while what is the better example of AI?
its been a subject close to my heart for a while (loved all of Asimov's work) and have always loved Data and the Doctor.
But here is my quandary they are both artificial lifeforms with independent taught and 'feelings'. They are both given free reign to expand there conciousness and develop as a independent life form but witch one is truly an artificial 'LIFE?'
Old January 20 2014, 03:18 AM   #2
Unicron
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Unicron
Re: Best AI in Star Trek

I think there's an interesting difference between the EMH and Data, in that the latter was designed and intended by Soong to become self-aware independent, whereas the EMH gained some of those qualities somewhat unintentionally through the Caretaker's actions in stranding Voyager. I think that he earned the same rights as a distinct individual that Data has, but it's harder to judge for me whether this would favor the argument that other holograms are potentially life forms on the same level. It would depend on a number of things.

"My dream is to eat candy and poop emeralds. I'm halfway successful."

Catbert, Evil Director of Human Resources
Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2014, 06:46 AM   #3
bbjeg
Vice Admiral

I'd put the Doctor on the same level as Data after he got the mobile emitter. Apart from Data's physical advantages, they operate on the same level (well, Data is fully functional so he's got that going for him too).

I'd rank the Borg over both of them though. They're a hive mind with the combined knowledge of thousands (if not millions) of civilizations.

Last edited by bbjeg; January 20 2014 at 03:14 PM.
bbjeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2014, 08:01 AM   #4
Maurice
Vice Admiral

But isn't the intelligence in a hologram just a sophisticated program running in the ships computer?
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2014, 03:16 PM   #5
bbjeg
Vice Admiral

^That's why I ranked him to Data after the mobile emitter was introduced.
bbjeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2014, 04:29 PM   #6
Albertese
Commodore

I've always assumed that the EMH's intelligence was a byproduct of developing the programming originally written by the Bynars to distract Riker in "11001001." I posit that their work, though temporary in the case of the Minuet program, left artifacts that were studied by holo-engineers and incorporated into the EMH to make a more effective and creatively-thinking doctor, not realizing that if you leave it running for a few years straight, it take's on a mind of it's own.

YMMV.

--Alex
Old January 20 2014, 05:54 PM   #7
Pippin209
Ensign

bbjeg wrote: View Post
I'd put the Doctor on the same level as Data after he got the mobile emitter. Apart from Data's physical advantages, they operate on the same level (well, Data is fully functional so he's got that going for him too).

I'd rank the Borg over both of them though. They're a hive mind with the combined knowledge of thousands (if not millions) of civilizations.
The borg however are not AI they are cyborgs a combination of organic and machine. They already had life before the borg they (for lack of better terminology) re-write the organic components to accept borg implants and data from the hive mind. They are not AI in any sense of the term as the hive mind is just one Queen controlling the information of trillions of minds directing the flow as required like an almighty ISP.
Old January 20 2014, 05:59 PM   #8
Pippin209
Ensign

Maurice wrote: View Post
But isn't the intelligence in a hologram just a sophisticated program running in the ships computer?
Same for data his program is just held in his posatronic brain not the ships computer systems.

also the doctor has gained emotion on his own without the need of the emotion chip data requires to feel 'human emotions'
Old January 20 2014, 06:14 PM   #9
Pippin209
Ensign

Unicron wrote: View Post
I think there's an interesting difference between the EMH and Data, in that the latter was designed and intended by Soong to become self-aware independent, whereas the EMH gained some of those qualities somewhat unintentionally through the Caretaker's actions in stranding Voyager. I think that he earned the same rights as a distinct individual that Data has, but it's harder to judge for me whether this would favor the argument that other holograms are potentially life forms on the same level. It would depend on a number of things.
i guess it depends on the complexity of the holograms programming. i.e. Michael Sullivan in VOY ep Fairhaven. he gains true to life emotions for Janeway (climbing a tree and professing his live for her) because Janeway gave him greater 'inelegance' as well as I guess a rudimentary understanding of love through poetry but again is this to do with been left running for a longer period of time as Albertese has mentioned. But however other less sophisticated programs (Chaotica for example) are relatively stupid but is this an intentional programming feature to allow the player to defeat them?

(Sorry for the spamming new to the message board thing
Old January 20 2014, 06:27 PM   #10
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

The EMH is just horribly written. No way you would want an emergency doctor with ego, attitude, bad bed side manner and sometimes even argueing about direct orders. The EMH also appeared to be more sophisticated than Data ever was. Emotions to begin with, no problem with contractions, no problem with humor, etc...
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2014, 08:24 PM   #11
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Moriarty was a conscious program that, in the end, ran disembodied on a portable device, with Regina.
Old January 20 2014, 11:22 PM   #12
Pippin209
Ensign

I don't think that Moriarty was a fully concious AI. But in watching the episode it has made me me re-evaluate my previous statement about Michael Sullivan (VOY ep Fairhaven) as they where both just for filling there programming parameters Michael Sullivan being a perfect man for Janeway and Moriarty to be an intelligent foe for Data. both giving a good account of what the halo called a bumb AI (not fully concious but is capable of mimicking inelegance.
guys ur all awesome keep this going plz the gray matter is on overdrive!
Old January 20 2014, 11:59 PM   #13
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

You can add Leonardo da Gimli to the list as well. He SEEMED conscious, but was merely operating within the parameters of his program as was explicitly stated. For the most part, the Doctor was meant to be the same thing, but operating for years outside of those parameters allowed a true form of sentience to evolve IMO. One would only wonder what would have happened had Soong gotten ahold of the Bynar's technology to simulate sentience (assuming that's what it was - granted, there's 20+ years between these efforts anyway, show time). While fundamentally separate approaches, I think they got the same results.

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2014, 02:35 AM   #14
Unicron
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Unicron

Leonardo da Gimli.

"My dream is to eat candy and poop emeralds. I'm halfway successful."

Catbert, Evil Director of Human Resources
Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2014, 05:35 PM   #15
RAMA
Vice Admiral

I enjoy Data of course, but I kind of like the juxtaposition V'Ger from STMMP is to the original TOS, instead of trying to kill the AI, they try and learn and understand it, despite the apparent threat it was. In essence, it's more "ST" than TOS!

RAMA