Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old February 13 2011, 05:30 PM   #31
Isis
Commodore

Re: Worst Star trek actor ever

sonak wrote: View Post
jolene blalock for regulars
Sorry to be so negative, but I think she has the guests beat, too.
Isis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2011, 06:09 PM   #32
Alex1939
Captain

plynch wrote: View Post
I forgot about Marina Sirtis. I think she got better, though; decent in the films.
I'm exact opposite, I thought she was fine in the series and then completely out of character in the films, especially Nemesis.

Also a lot of people pick on Jolene Blaylock, but I don't think it was the acting nearly as much as the way the characters was written.
Alex1939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2011, 06:53 PM   #33
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

Alex1939 wrote: View Post
I forgot about Marina Sirtis. I think she got better, though; decent in the films.
I'm exact opposite, I thought she was fine in the series and then completely out of character in the films, especially Nemesis.

Also a lot of people pick on Jolene Blaylock, but I don't think it was the acting nearly as much as the way the characters was written.
Out of character compared to the series, but it seemed less like she was reading lines, going, "I feel great pain, or whatever."

I agree with you on Jolene. She was full Vulcan. They're stoic. She was fine.

Beltran sounds like oneo f my high schoolers reading from a textbook. Plus the character was bland on top of it.
Old February 13 2011, 07:04 PM   #34
scotpens
Vice Admiral

Deckerd wrote: View Post
James Doohan.
No, James Doohan was a good actor. He just did a bad accent.

The worst guest star ever was Melvin Belli in the TOS ep “And the Children Shall Lead.” That is, if a high-profile lawyer trying to act qualifies.
Old February 13 2011, 08:02 PM   #35
sonak
Vice Admiral

Alex1939 wrote: View Post

Out of character compared to the series, but it seemed less like she was reading lines, going, "I feel great pain, or whatever."

I agree with you on Jolene. She was full Vulcan. They're stoic. She was fine.

Beltran sounds like oneo f my high schoolers reading from a textbook. Plus the character was bland on top of it.

Leonard Nimoy, Mark Lenard, and Tim Russ all did great jobs playing Vulcan characters. Her bad acting had nothing to do with her character being a Vulcan.
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2011, 08:23 PM   #36
Bishop76
Fleet Captain

I actually thought Blalock was much better than Tim Russ. She wasn't bad at all.

I do agree that Sirtis was worse in the movies than in the show, but she sucked in the show too.
Old February 13 2011, 09:20 PM   #37
DFScott
Captain

View DFScott's Twitter Profile

Guest star: I'm tempted to say, the fellow who plays a guy named Lutan in the fourth episode of TNG. He claims Lt. Yar for his own and tries to trade her for a vaccine. (Now you know the scene, right?) "Then there will be no treaty, no vaccine, and no Lt. Yar!" (Isn't it romantic when a man refers to his lover by her rank?)

But no. The performance which brings abject, seething pain to my mind whenever I dare to recall it, is right here: Michael McKean, taking a break from playing some lawyer, to portray the monochrome clown in the Romper Room of Pain from the first (worst) season of Voyager. Warning: These clips may not be suitable for some humans.

Series regular: Almost a quarter-century ago now, I did something I have to admit that, in retrospect, I regret. Kind of in jest, without coming to recognize the power it would have, I started an online campaign ("online" back then meaning, on one of the pre-Internet national modem networks) to get Lt. Yar's character, um, killed. And to some extent, we were successful. I regret it because, well, that was worse than Denise Crosby deserved, and what I suppose I would have preferred is if she were given a better character and she had the time to adapt to it. Because in "Yesterday's Enterprise" (which took place in a timeline where her character did not die), Crosby was truly the star of the episode.

I've said it before, but Denise, I'm still sorry.

A lot of people disagree with me on this, but it's my opinion: The most disappointing performance overall from a series regular, from the front of the series to the back, comes from Avery Brooks. Too many of his episodes seemed to have been phoned in. There comes. A time. When you wish. Each sentence. Were not. Delivered. Like a bad. Shatner. Impression. From deep inside. A mayonnaise jar.

Who would I have preferred? I don't think there are many people who would disagree with me (even if they liked Brooks) that a superb Capt. Sisko would have been portrayed by Phil Morris.

All that said, my Spock's Brain award for truly worst performance by a regular performer goes to Robert Beltran as Chakotay. Seriously, something handcrafted by Edgar Bergen would have done a better job. Oh yea, his character wasn't written all that well. And I agree with his critique of his character and of himself. Doesn't change anything.

And I dare anybody to come up with clear reasons why Wes Studi would not have been a far greater Chakotay. Studi would have been for Chakotay what Nimoy was for Spock. He would have been a reason to watch the show. His interplay with Kate Mulgrew would have been phenomenal. Completely missed opportunity there.

DF "Why Talk When You Can Dance?" Scott
Old February 13 2011, 09:23 PM   #38
Kai "the spy"
Commodore

Bishop76 wrote: View Post
I actually thought Blalock was much better than Tim Russ. She wasn't bad at all.
I agree. She was really good.

I'd have to go with Beltran, too, but he did it on purpose.

Not that his acting was particularly bad, but does anybody have any idea exactly why John Cho was cast as Sulu? I mean, I see why they picked Pine, or Quinto, or Saldana, or Yelchin. They all (more or less) resembled their predecessors and/or brought something new to the role. I can't see that with Cho. His only resemblence to Takei is that they're both of Asian heritage, and that's it. Neither does he do anything in the movie that actually stands out (yes, Sulu did the fencing scene, but that was mostly done by a stuntman, not Cho).

"Fanwankery is what 21st century pop entertainment's all about."
cooleddie74

Kai "the spy" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2011, 09:56 PM   #39
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

^I like John Cho, both as an actor and as Sulu. Hopefully he will have more character development in future films.
Old February 13 2011, 10:01 PM   #40
JiNX-01
Admiral

View JiNX-01's Twitter Profile

DevilEyes wrote: View Post
Worst regular: Robert Beltran, he wasn't even trying.

Worst guest star: whoever played Sisko's mother. She was completely wooden.

BillJ wrote: View Post
Nana Visitor.

I think I'm going to have a seizure every time I hear her voice. Like Kramer from Seinfeld when he hears Mary Hart.
I'm pretty sure the title of the thread is "Worst Star Trek actor", not "Actor whose voice irritates you the most".
Hmmmm. Zips off to start a new thread...
JiNX-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2011, 10:22 PM   #41
Silver Roc
Ensign

Blalock was just terrible from the little I have seen. Also Bernie Casey in the Maquis was pretty bad and kind of hurt what was other wise an excellent 2 parter.
Old February 14 2011, 01:05 AM   #42
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

Bishop76 wrote: View Post
I thought that they were both great, though Russ got less to work with, except in a a few Tuvok-centric episodes.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2011, 01:22 AM   #43
Too Much Fun
Commodore

DFScott wrote: View Post
A lot of people disagree with me on this, but it's my opinion: The most disappointing performance overall from a series regular, from the front of the series to the back, comes from Avery Brooks. Too many of his episodes seemed to have been phoned in. There comes. A time. When you wish. Each sentence. Were not. Delivered. Like a bad. Shatner. Impression. From deep inside. A mayonnaise jar.

Who would I have preferred? I don't think there are many people who would disagree with me (even if they liked Brooks) that a superb Capt. Sisko would have been portrayed by Phil Morris
I liked Brooks most of the time, but I agree that this is true for many of his performances, particularly in "Far Beyond the Stars" where he definitely channels Shatner at his worst in the final scene.

Morris did a good job in his few DS9 appearances playing aliens. I think he could have done well playing the captain...as long as people didn't have trouble taking him seriously because they recognized him from "Seinfeld".
Too Much Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2011, 02:00 PM   #44
number6
Vice Admiral

Location: number6 has left the village through some inexpicable hole in the ground to head the corporation.

They were all so horribly badly awfully intolerable. I don't know how anybody ever watched the shows or films.
number6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2011, 02:21 PM   #45
Stoek
Commander

View Stoek's Twitter Profile

Rosalind Chao. Any Niners remember the episode where Kira is pregnant with the O'Brien's child? And Miles and Nerys are getting a little too chummy? Yeah well not only was I rooting for them to get together but I was really really hoping that Keiko would meet an unfortunate demise. I have never seen RC in anything that she did not come off as insipid and whiny.
Stoek is offline   Reply With Quote