Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 9 2011, 08:33 PM   #16
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

Re: B5 downbelow question.

I'm pretty sure command and control on Babylon 5 was in a rotating section.
Old February 9 2011, 08:42 PM   #17
freakishdane
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to freakishdane

Asbo Zaprudder wrote: View Post
I'm pretty sure command and control on Babylon 5 was in a rotating section.
It was; this is from the opening on season 2:

As you can see, the command-window is just below the main docking-bay -not that that explains the seemingly normal Earth gravity people there seemed to experience.
Old February 9 2011, 08:52 PM   #18
Mistral
Vice Admiral

Candlelight wrote: View Post
Deckerd wrote: View Post
It's the suspension of disbelief thingy; same way as they had jump gates. In most science fiction you can't be choosy about what you swallow whole. They did get the idea that there is no gravity in the centre right, except that people on the train aren't floating around. Sheridan only started floating after the train blew up.
In the pilot they were all strapped into gravity harnesses.

Then again in the pilot there was a gorilla serving drinks.
I thought that was Trapper John......

Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2011, 08:53 PM   #19
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

Whatimeantersayis the bridge is in the centre (almost) of the forward section, where there would be little or no AG, and they're standing on the ceiling, as it were.
Old February 9 2011, 08:56 PM   #20
freakishdane
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to freakishdane

Deckerd wrote: View Post
Whatimeantersayis the bridge is in the centre (almost) of the forward section, where there would be little or no AG.
Guessedasmuch, but again; if they can walk like n Earth surface in the 'keep you hands on the handrail at all times'-area they also could in 'command'...
Old February 9 2011, 09:06 PM   #21
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

I estimate that CnC was meant to be somewhat equivalent to lunar gravity or 1/6th earth gravity. So if you forgot that and jumped, you would hit your head on the ceiling.
Old February 9 2011, 09:18 PM   #22
Jan
Commodore

When in doubt, Ask JMS:

The center is the docking bay. C&C is one-third of the way below that, so it has about 1/3rd gravity, so a 200 pound person weigs 66 pounds, not likely to go floating around.

jms
Jan
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2011, 10:19 PM   #23
Candlelight
Admiral

Jan wrote: View Post
When in doubt, Ask JMS:

The center is the docking bay. C&C is one-third of the way below that, so it has about 1/3rd gravity, so a 200 pound person weigs 66 pounds, not likely to go floating around.

jms
Jan
Artistic licence aside, I dispute that. In Severed Dreams when the starfury collides with the forward section, a tech is thrown to the floor. She doesn't float down in 1/3 gravity either. She hits the deck HARD.
Old February 9 2011, 10:23 PM   #24
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

There are no references to the 'fact' they're in a third or Earth gravity.
Old February 9 2011, 11:44 PM   #25
Reverend
Rear Admiral

There has to be a reasonable degree of suspension of disbelief here for the simple reason that, yes it is just a TV show and it's simply not feasible to realistically portray people operating in one third Earth gravity. That is unless you can afford the shoot the whole thing in the vomit comet. It's the same reason they couldn't correctly portray Mars gravity (0.38g IIRC.)

To be fair, they did their best to address it within the budget. For instance, the bridge scenes from 'In the Beginning' did a fair job of showing zero gravity though some basic trickery (though mostly by not having anyone get out of their seats) and I think there was a mention in 'A Call To Arms' that even the Excalibur's "magical" artificial gravity isn't quite right and a person feels a few pounds lighter than they would back on Earth. Even after they did away with the chunky harnesses in the core shuttle, you can still see low gravity warning signs everywhere and (I think) everyone is careful to always be holding onto a rail. Actually, speaking of that scene where Sheridan jumps out, I'm pretty sure that rather than plummeting straight "down" (or outwards, rather) he's moving off to one side which if I remember this right (it's been a long time since physics class) is in line with the coriolis effect.

As for the term "downbelow", yes, in reality those slum areas are actually closer to the outer skin (we even see a porthole in the floor in 'The Long Dark'.) Of course any direction in space is relative anyway so it's as good a term as any.
Reverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2011, 11:55 PM   #26
David cgc
Vice Admiral

Candlelight wrote: View Post
Jan wrote: View Post
When in doubt, Ask JMS:

jms
Jan
Artistic licence aside, I dispute that. In Severed Dreams when the starfury collides with the forward section, a tech is thrown to the floor. She doesn't float down in 1/3 gravity either. She hits the deck HARD.
Yeah, and the stars were never moving, nor were Epsilon 3 and the blue nebula visible through the big window unless it was an effects shot. For that matter, the hallways should've all had slight but visible curves, and except for the central corridors, we never saw that.
Old February 10 2011, 12:29 AM   #27
Reverend
Rear Admiral

^To be fair, only the corridors running around the circumference should have been curved, the ones oriented along the length of the station should have been level.

As for the window in C'n'C, yeah, again it's just a matter of practicality. IIRC for the most part the "stars" were just a simple practical effect (think Christmas lights on black cloth.) These days it would be much easier and cheaper, but back then I imagine it would just have been prohibitively expensive to do a composite shot every time there was a scene in C'n'C. Also remember that back then, even when they did a comp shot the camera had to be locked off, so the simple practical effect permitted them the have the camera actually *move* on that set.
Old February 10 2011, 01:50 AM   #28
Candlelight
Admiral

Reverend wrote: View Post
As for the window in C'n'C, yeah, again it's just a matter of practicality. IIRC for the most part the "stars" were just a simple practical effect (think Christmas lights on black cloth.) These days it would be much easier and cheaper, but back then I imagine it would just have been prohibitively expensive to do a composite shot every time there was a scene in C'n'C. Also remember that back then, even when they did a comp shot the camera had to be locked off, so the simple practical effect permitted them the have the camera actually *move* on that set.
Like they did in the 'other C&C' in Thirdspace.
Old February 10 2011, 11:34 AM   #29
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

Still doesn't address the problem of them standing on the wrong surface. You see pan backs from them standing on the bridge, looking out at incoming traffic or whatever, and they're standing on what should be the ceiling in centripetal artifical gravity.
Old February 10 2011, 11:52 AM   #30
Reverend
Rear Admiral

^I don't follow. As far as I know they've always shown the docking bay as being "above" C'n'C and as far as I'm aware, centrifugal force pushes outwards from the fulcrum, making the "inner" surface of the floor. Perhaps you can give an example?