RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,411
Members: 24,630
Currently online: 445
Newest member: DasGeneral

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old January 12 2011, 10:47 PM   #1
DeafPoet
Rear Admiral

Wow, Kirsten Beyer made VOY not suck!

Hey guys, I don't post here too often since my Trek reading often comes in fits and starts. Anyway, I was at the book store the other day and grabbed "Full Circle" and "Unworthy" on a whim. I finished them both in the last two days.

And wow! Look, I've never been much of a Voyager fan. In fact, I have a healthy disdain for the show as televised. Not because I wanted it to fall short but rather the reverse: stories about these people didn't have to be horrible. They just usually were. Man was I ever pleased that Ms. Beyer found something cool to do with these guys.

I read "Before Dishonor" a couple years ago and honestly didn't care when Janeway bought it. Now I'm glad she did. She's way more interesting as a catalyst for everyone's grief than whe ever was in life, in my opinion.

My main joy in reading these books was that everyone was given more character development in their pages than they were in 7 years of the show. I'm eagerly anticipating the next novel this year.
DeafPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2011, 11:06 PM   #2
ryan123450
Commodore

View ryan123450's Twitter Profile
Re: Wow, Kirsten Beyer made VOY not suck!

I like Voyager, dispite it's flaws and it's many many failed oppurtunities. But Kirstin's books are a vast improvment, especially over the previous 4 relaunch novels. I too am looking forward to the continuation.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
ryan123450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2011, 11:34 PM   #3
label
Vice Admiral

Wow. I may actually have to give these books a shot........I didn't care much for Voyager either. Quit watching altogether after a couple years, but these books sound interesting.
Old January 12 2011, 11:46 PM   #4
vegaslover62
Lieutenant Commander

Location: 2112 Rivendell, Xanadu. In the Lakeside Park Subdivisions on the beautiful Bacchus Plateau

I agree. The ending of Enemy of My Enemy was really dodgy, and I was hoping Golden wouldn't write other endings like it.
vegaslover62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2011, 11:48 PM   #5
flemm
Fleet Captain

It is quite an astonishing feat. I never cared even the slightest little bit about any character on Voyager, yet I thoroughly enjoyed these novels.

In fact, I have actually come to see them as the model for what should be done to revitalize the DS9-R. I can't believe I just said that about something with the Voyager name on it. How the mighty have fallen.

Kirsten Beyer did a great job with these books, and anyone interested in Trek Lit should check them out.

Last edited by flemm; January 13 2011 at 12:37 AM.
flemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2011, 12:52 AM   #6
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

I enjoyed Voyager. It wasn't perfect (no Star Trek is), but I liked it for what it was.

First of all, not doing a Trial of Captain Janeway upon Voyager's return was a huge missed oppertunity.

I enjoyed the Homecoming duology, but skipped Spirit Walk owing to my hatred of that inanimate lump of wood Chakotay.

I really liked much of Full Circle and Unworthy, although my favourite plotline (Seven losing her marbles) disappointingly fizzled out and I *really* don't buy Tom not telling Harry about Miral and B'Elanna.

I also think it's a mistake not having Janeway in command of the Voyager fleet. Without her there it doesn't feel like a continuation of Voyager, but some spin-off series (like how the last two seasons of Stargate SG-1 were essentially a new show despite familiar faces). I don't know how well the books surrounding her death did, but I do know she's got a fanatical fanbase that would probably eat up the novels of she were in them and given something worthwhile to do.
Old January 13 2011, 01:23 AM   #7
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

KingDaniel wrote: View Post
I do know she's got a fanatical fanbase that would probably eat up the novels of she were in them and given something worthwhile to do.
Yeah, we're aware of them as they weren't happy about her death and the fact that it wasn't automatically undone, despite Data and Kirk still being dead in the main stream novels and many books passing before Sisko came back. Plus she's still alive in the STO novels, well novel at this point.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2011, 02:09 AM   #8
JD
Admiral

I'm a big VOY fan, and even I will admit that these books were the some of the best VOY stories ever.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2011, 03:29 AM   #9
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

Who'd have predicted 6 years ago that DS9 would be the most bungled ongoing story in TrekLit, and a TOS-era series and goddamn Voyager (Voyager!) would be the line's highlights?
Thrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2011, 03:41 AM   #10
Snaploud
Admiral

I agree. Voyager was a disaster, but Beyer has done a great job.
Snaploud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2011, 03:47 AM   #11
David cgc
Vice Admiral

Thrawn wrote: View Post
Who'd have predicted 6 years ago that DS9 would be the most bungled ongoing story in TrekLit, and a TOS-era series and goddamn Voyager (Voyager!) would be the line's highlights?
Well, I probably would've believed the Voyager thing. Back in season 3 of Enterprise, when the false cancelation story came down, I was actually relieved, because I thought the books would actually do right by the show's premise and cast.

Then season 4 came along, proving the show was more than capable of that one it's own, and the novels weren't quite what I was hoping.

The point is, back then, TrekLit walked on air, and could do no wrong. Nowadays, it's only walking on water.
Old January 13 2011, 03:50 AM   #12
Nathan
Lieutenant

I agree with Thrawn...he right on the money. Also, I did like KB's work...I can't believe she is the same KB that wrote the String Theory book...i thought that sucked to high heaven. The last two VOY book she wrote absoluted rocked. I read them in matter of days. I recall saying 3/4 way through....i got to savor this book, cuz I'm almost done.
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2011, 04:11 AM   #13
flemm
Fleet Captain

Thrawn wrote: View Post
Truly, it boggles the mind. Succinctly put
flemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2011, 05:42 AM   #14
JD
Admiral

^I'm with you guys here too. I'm one of the few people who liked the last few DS9 books, but even I'll admit they were nowhere near as good as they used to be, or VOY or Vanguard are.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2011, 05:50 AM   #15
Kirsten Beyer
Writer

Wow.

Thanks everybody. I never expect to check the boards and see a thread like this. Makes all the hard work seem easier.

Sorry Fusion didn't work for you, Nathan. As to the startling difference you saw between it and the others...Fusion was the first novel I ever wrote. And I have learned a few things since then. That said, I remain proud of it. I looked back at it a few years ago and while there were some things I wish I could do differently now, on the whole I felt it did what it was supposed to do as part of the trilogy and there are still sections of which I am inordinantly fond. But as always, you are of course entitled to your extreme dislike of it. I'm glad you gave FC and Unworthy a chance.

Only a few months now until the Children come out and play. I'm eagerly awaiting everyone's thoughts, good and bad.

As always,
Kirsten
Kirsten Beyer is offline   Reply With Quote