Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old March 16 2011, 02:18 AM   #31
lurok
Commodore

Re: I really Like "Carbon Creek"

Me too. Froth but fun. With so many unresolved implications....
Old March 19 2011, 09:27 PM   #32
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Not my most favorite episode, but not my least either. I'd say it's a middle of the road type of show.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23 2011, 01:01 PM   #33
Volkanismo
Lieutenant Junior Grade

"Carbok Creek" was a fine episode that added some flavour to the monotonity of Enterprise's voyage. It was well done, and I could see more of this approach in the series. Albeit North Star, another take on the subject, was poorly executed and tedious to watch.
Old March 23 2011, 01:50 PM   #34
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

"Carbon Creek" is my favorite episode of Enterprise. If only the rest of the series lived up to the possibility of "Carbon Creek".
Old June 5 2012, 08:42 AM   #35
Mr_Homn
Captain

I liked it, but I can't really think of a solution to the Pon Far problem. If Mestral stayed on earth, he could never go back to vulcan to mate. Doesn't that mean he would die? Keep in mind I haven't watched Voyager, and I know Tuvok is in that, so they probably came up with some new rules or something, since he obviously cant go to vulcan, but I'm unaware of them.

You would think Spock would have been aware of any other solutions, though....
Old June 5 2012, 09:30 AM   #36
Skywalker
Admiral

It's not my favorite episode, but I did enjoy it. Mestral was an interesting character. I agree, though, that they really didn't need to include the ending with T'Pol taking out T'Mir's handbag. That was a little too on the nose, though quite typical for the stuck-in-a-rut writing that typified ENT in its first two seasons.

I love the blooper scene with Bakula, Blalock and Trinneer all playing their characters as if they were drunk.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2012, 02:45 AM   #37
LuckyCharms
Ensign

teacake wrote: View Post
I love Carbon Creek. Mestral is a fantastic character and I think we need a "Eugenics Wars" style novel about his life on earth and through history. The acting is excellent, the sets too.. I still crack up at the Moe joke. One of the best of Enterprise.
Carbon Creek is my favorite Enterprise episode. I like the scenario of T'Pol telling a story to the boys. I actually liked her pulling out the purse at the end, but then I tend to like the subtlety of a hammer.

I too would love to see a really good novel detailing Mestral's adventures on Earth and how he coped. I love fish out of water stories.
LuckyCharms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2012, 05:18 AM   #38
horatio83
Commodore

Brikar99 wrote: View Post
As for the episode itself... honestly I didn't care for it. It seemed silly and ultimately kind of pointless (I felt that way about many season 2 episodes of 'Enterprise'). I guess (obviously) I ended up more interested in what happened after the episode ended than in the episode itself.
After Fusion hinted at T'Pol's interest in humankind Carbon Creek gave a potential reason for it. Like many themes in ENT this is fairly subtle so many people missed it.
Old June 6 2012, 07:38 PM   #39
Gaith
Rear Admiral

I'm truly amazed at all the people proclaiming this entirely average ep to be their favorite. Goofy yet memorable eps like "Twilight" or "The Catwalk" I could understand, but this?
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2012, 07:32 AM   #40
I am Surak
Captain

This guy drives down the highway and the voice on the radio says to be careful out there as somebody is driving on the wrong side of the road.
The man shakes his head in disbelief and says: Somebody? There must be thousands.
I am Surak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2012, 03:53 PM   #41
Reanok
Commodore

I like Carbon Creek. Having T'Pol tell the story of Great Grandmother being on earth and the Vulcans experiences in the 1950s was really intetresting to see T'Mir had a different personaly than T'Pol.I liked Mestral making friends with the people from Carbon creek and rescusing the miners.
Reanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2012, 03:18 PM   #42
Kpnuts
Commodore

Loved Carbon Creek, and I usually hate episodes like it, but it was fantastic I thought. Great characters, nice setting, great vibe overall.

I also liked the ending with the handbag, I'd have felt a bit cheated if they just left it up in the air whether she was telling the truth or not.
Kpnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2012, 04:18 PM   #43
Newspaper Taxi
Captain

I was really charmed by this the first time I saw it but I'm afraid it's hard to re-watch due to the slow pacing and Vulcan-ness of the characters. I still cherish the first time I saw it, though.
Old June 16 2012, 06:00 PM   #44
horatio83
Commodore

I agree, it is indeed a bit unusual to watch a story through they eyes of icy Vulcans but one point of the story was after all that the Vulcans become more human while living on Earth. OK, not the third guy but Mestral is fairly unorthodox in the very beginning (suggesting to kill a deer and eat its meat) and T'Pol's grandmother gets "infected" by him, thus mirroring the way the humans around T'Pol influence her (in this case directly, without an intermediate like Mestral).
It is one of the first episodes in which we get a reversal of this "Vulcans as our parents who tell us what do" theme which culminates in Soval basically changing sides in the fourth season.
Old October 23 2013, 03:19 PM   #45
Yanks
Fleet Captain

Identifying what is or is not one's favorite of anything is strictly a personal endeavor. I'm more than sure I'm probably the only trekkie/er on the planet (or universe) that identifies 'Carbon Creek' as their favorite Star Trek episode.

It seems the least expensive episodes ring stronger for me. TNG's Inner Light, ENT's Shuttlepod One, DS9's Explorer's, VOY's 11:59 to name a few.

Carbon Creek wasn't just a "filler" episode made to conserve money to make up for other more graphic intensive episodes, it had a purpose. This episode not only revealed some interesting unknown Star Trek history, but provided a needed back-story for the character T'Pol.

This is a wonderful, heartwarming story. At this point in the series, T'Pol continually takes abuse for being 'Vulcan' even though she has time and time again proved unwavering loyalty to her Captain, the mission and the crew of Enterprise. So why does she put up with this? Until this episode we really had no idea and didn't know much about her background at all.

While she doesn't reveal the 'truth' to Archer and Trip over dinner, she does indicate to us by revealing her "mother's mother's mother's" purse that the story she has told us is true. One can only imagine the impact her grandmother had on a young T'Pol, telling stories of her experiences with humans, etc. Now we can surmise why she volunteered to serve on Enterprise and moreover why she decided to remain aboard when she has had the opportunity to leave. T'Mir was an explorer that ended up gaining firsthand experience with humans while being stranded on Earth in 1957. Humans intrigued her and she passed that curiosity and interest on to her granddaughter.

We see how important education is to T'Mir and we see how she just can't fathom that a brilliant kid wouldn't be afforded an opportunity to receive a higher education. T'Mir's introduction of Velcro technology fit nicely into history as we know it. The first Velcro was completely made from cotton when Georges de Mestral, a Swiss engineer, patented the zipperless zipper 1955. The problem was the cotton hooks quickly stopped doing what Velcro does as they quickly wore out. Nylon had been around since 1935. It wasn't until shortly after Velcro was patented that Mestral discovered that nylon worked much better than cotton (circa 1958) because it didn't wear out nearly as fast with use. Seeing Maggie's expression as she found the money in the tip jar realizing her son could go to college was priceless.

Listening to baseball on the radio, bus rides, 'I Love Lucy', 'Moe', old vehicles, frozen fish sticks, family owned restaurants, the small coal-town atmosphere all added to the realness of this episode. The lighter tone during the encounters between humans and our Vulcans was fun.

It would have been nice for the series to revisit Mestral, but they did not. We can only assume he melded in nicely and contributed to human advancement where he could.

So this episode links Star Trek's future with humanities past and provides back-story for a main character that gives some justification for her continued interest in serving with humans on a star ship. All done with humor and knowledge of our real past that makes this occurrence as plausible as they come in trek.

Well done, Rick Berman & Brannon Braga & Dan O'Shannon, well done. So the next time you see T'Pol unveil her Great Grandmother's purse, I hope you give this review a thought and I hope you might appreciate this Star Trek gem little more.