Meaney In Talks For McGuinness Role
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Stewart And Son To Act Together

Quinto: If I Wasn’t An Actor…

Star Trek Beyond Update

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old January 31 2011, 04:53 PM   #1
CaptJimboJones
Vice Admiral

Champions Online

Curious if anyone is playing this. I saw that it's gone free-to-play and wonder if it's any good. I believe these are the same guys who do Star Trek Online?
Old January 31 2011, 05:28 PM   #2
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Re: Champions Online

Actually yes, I've been having a go at it. Unfortunately the experience was somewhat soured because by chance I started just before it went F2P with the free trial version on Steam that just basically let you create a character and to a tutorial level.

It was certainly fun and I was looking forward to playing more, but when it did switch over they changed the way you characters powers are assigned and the ones I had been using were suddenly unplayable without a subscription. Basically what they've done is take away what used to be a pretty free form system where you could mix and match powers and abilities to create a unique character and replaced it with a rigid and rather bland class system. Sort of took the fun out of it. That plus when I replayed the tutorial with my "new" build there were about twice as many enemies on the same difficulty level as before, making it a HUGE grind just to get from point A to point B.

As I understand it, you can have the game "unshackled" and back as it used to be before the changeover, but only by paying a subscription. Otherwise it's all a rather stripped down and hobbled shadow of the proper game.

Not that I'm complaining or anything. Free is free after all and if I hadn't played the demo first my opinion might have been different. So by all means have a go, the character creator is certainly fun to muck about with.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2011, 07:32 PM   #3
Bishop76
Fleet Captain

I played for a month or two. Character creation is great, but I wouldn't recommend it. Even free to play I have no desire to return to it.
Old January 31 2011, 11:40 PM   #4
Reverend
Rear Admiral

I should also probably qualify my previous comments by pointing out that I've never played an MMORPG before this one (aside from a quick and unimpressive go at the STO trial.) So I really have nothing to compare it to in terms of quality.

If it's typical of an MMO though, I'm glad I've stayed away until now. As far as I can tell there's very little player interaction, just a bunch of random players wandering about doing their own quests.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2011, 11:43 PM   #5
Bishop76
Fleet Captain

Yeah, it's better than the STO ground based stuff, but that's not saying much. City of Heroes/Villains were better than Champions and they both were pretty boring.