RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,132
Posts: 5,401,641
Members: 24,746
Currently online: 504
Newest member: retrodynamic

TrekToday headlines

September-October Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Aug 29

Lee Passes
By: T'Bonz on Aug 29

Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Trek Big Bang Figures
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old March 20 2013, 03:08 PM   #106
Pindar
Rear Admiral
 
Pindar's Avatar
 
Location: 76 Totters Lane
View Pindar's Twitter Profile
Re: Best Audio Book?

Sindatur wrote: View Post

Destiny of the Doctor? Is that an Anniversary Series?
It is, porduced by Big Finish, 11 stand alone stories, one for each doctor which are supposed to have one long arc connecting them together.

http://www.bigfinish.com/ranges/v/do...of-the-doctors

The first 3 are out.
Pindar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2013, 03:11 PM   #107
Sindatur
Vice Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: Best Audio Book?

Pindar wrote: View Post
Sindatur wrote: View Post

Destiny of the Doctor? Is that an Anniversary Series?
It is, porduced by Big Finish, 11 stand alone stories, one for each doctor which are supposed to have one long arc connecting them together.

http://www.bigfinish.com/ranges/v/do...of-the-doctors

The first 3 are out.
Sounds very cool. I'm likely to get these when they're all out (My listening backlog is pretty large at the moment)
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2013, 04:34 PM   #108
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters
 
OmahaStar's Avatar
 
Location: OmahaStar
View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar
Re: Best Audio Book?

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Pindar wrote: View Post
Sindatur wrote: View Post

Destiny of the Doctor? Is that an Anniversary Series?
It is, porduced by Big Finish, 11 stand alone stories, one for each doctor which are supposed to have one long arc connecting them together.

http://www.bigfinish.com/ranges/v/do...of-the-doctors

The first 3 are out.
Sounds very cool. I'm likely to get these when they're all out (My listening backlog is pretty large at the moment)
Well, yes and no. It's co-produced between Big Finish and BBC Audio. It's an unusual series, in that it is sort of a series of third-person companion chronicles.

Because of the co-production, you cannot buy a CD and get the download with it free. This has annoyed some fans (they've posted on the Big Finish forums complaining).

Prices are around $17 per cd, but you can order from Book Depository for about $11 each.

For the first month each title is released, you can download it from audio2go for $2 ... after the 30 days, it goes up to full price. I'd rather have the CD though. That's just me.
__________________
"Sorry. Wrong movie, buddy."
OmahaStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2013, 05:00 PM   #109
Pindar
Rear Admiral
 
Pindar's Avatar
 
Location: 76 Totters Lane
View Pindar's Twitter Profile
Re: Best Audio Book?

It does annoy me a bit that the UK has to pay more for the Big Finish downloads. $2.00 for you and £3.99 for us.
Pindar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2013, 07:24 PM   #110
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral
 
Stevil2001's Avatar
 
Location: 2010
Re: Best Audio Book?

That's supply and demand for you!
__________________
"Typically I find your fleshiness to be your least engaging quality."
Science's Less Accurate Grandmother
Stevil2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2013, 07:28 PM   #111
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral
 
Stevil2001's Avatar
 
Location: 2010
Re: Best Audio Book?

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Oh, and Lungbarrow is impossible to get ahold of, are there any Audios that advance Cartmel's Master Plan, by any chance? It's really a bummer Doctor Who was cancelled in Season 26 when that Arc had just started to bubble and never got the chance to come to fruition, I would've liked to see it all play out.
Big Finish produced the "lost stories" of Season 27 with Andrew Cartmel script-editing, but they're awful. Seriously, they're nearly complete crap. If Season 27 had been like that, we were better off with the cancellation, but I can't believe that the real Season 27 would have been anything like that one. All sense of character is lost, the stories are bloated and meandering instead of tight and incomprehensible, and they just retread old ideas, and there's not even a hint of the bigger, more mythic Doctor we saw in Seasons 25-26.

http://unreality-sf.net/2011/08/04/d...in-ice-review/
http://unreality-sf.net/2011/08/12/d...entury-review/
http://unreality-sf.net/2011/08/17/d...animal-review/
http://unreality-sf.net/2011/09/25/d...th-aid-review/

Beth Chalmers is pretty good as new companion Raine, though.
__________________
"Typically I find your fleshiness to be your least engaging quality."
Science's Less Accurate Grandmother
Stevil2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2013, 11:19 PM   #112
Sindatur
Vice Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: Best Audio Book?

Steve Mollmann wrote: View Post
Sindatur wrote: View Post
Oh, and Lungbarrow is impossible to get ahold of, are there any Audios that advance Cartmel's Master Plan, by any chance? It's really a bummer Doctor Who was cancelled in Season 26 when that Arc had just started to bubble and never got the chance to come to fruition, I would've liked to see it all play out.
Big Finish produced the "lost stories" of Season 27 with Andrew Cartmel script-editing, but they're awful. Seriously, they're nearly complete crap. If Season 27 had been like that, we were better off with the cancellation, but I can't believe that the real Season 27 would have been anything like that one. All sense of character is lost, the stories are bloated and meandering instead of tight and incomprehensible, and they just retread old ideas, and there's not even a hint of the bigger, more mythic Doctor we saw in Seasons 25-26.

http://unreality-sf.net/2011/08/04/d...in-ice-review/
http://unreality-sf.net/2011/08/12/d...entury-review/
http://unreality-sf.net/2011/08/17/d...animal-review/
http://unreality-sf.net/2011/09/25/d...th-aid-review/

Beth Chalmers is pretty good as new companion Raine, though.
Yea, if it's notforwrding "Cartmel's Master plan", then, yea, I'm no all that interested, especially, if as you say, they aren't that great. Thanks (I've got enough Audios to catch up on, what with the Six/Evelyn stories, the Charlie/Eight stories for a start, and so many other categories)
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2013, 11:45 PM   #113
Pindar
Rear Admiral
 
Pindar's Avatar
 
Location: 76 Totters Lane
View Pindar's Twitter Profile
Re: Best Audio Book?

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Oh, and Lungbarrow is impossible to get ahold of, are there any Audios that advance Cartmel's Master Plan, by any chance? It's really a bummer Doctor Who was cancelled in Season 26 when that Arc had just started to bubble and never got the chance to come to fruition, I would've liked to see it all play out.
BBC released an ebook version of Lungbarrow which was free and is still floating around online.

I presume even though the beeb don't have it on their site that its still legit.
Pindar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2013, 12:29 AM   #114
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral
 
Brendan Moody's Avatar
 
Location: Maine
Re: Best Audio Book?

It's not "legit" in the sense of being legal-- Lungbarrow and the other BBC website e-books were contracted for distribution by the BBC website only, so spreading copies now that they've been removed from the site is outside the terms the authors agreed to. Whether it's ethical is another question.
__________________
Egg, I dreamed I was old.
Brendan Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21 2013, 10:39 AM   #115
Pindar
Rear Admiral
 
Pindar's Avatar
 
Location: 76 Totters Lane
View Pindar's Twitter Profile
Re: Best Audio Book?

Brendan Moody wrote: View Post
It's not "legit" in the sense of being legal-- Lungbarrow and the other BBC website e-books were contracted for distribution by the BBC website only, so spreading copies now that they've been removed from the site is outside the terms the authors agreed to. Whether it's ethical is another question.
I did mean legal, that's why I didn't post a link to where I saw it on google.

Putting an ebook online for free though is kind of a cat out of the bag situation.
Pindar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 08:21 PM   #116
Sindatur
Vice Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: Best Audio Book?

I'm almost done with my CLassic Who Rewatch (Started with Troughton in Jan or Feb and straight through to McCoy). I'm up to Curse of Fenric

I seem to recall hearing that there is an Audioplay "Sequel" to Survivor where The Master is still in "Cat Mode". Is this true? If so what's it called and is it any good?

I've listened to abut half of Evelyn's 3rd story The Apocalypse Element and I am enjoying it immensely. OmahaStar, I am becoming very attached to Evelyn, thanks. I'm liking her attitude more and more as the stories move forward (Though Charley's a bit pissed, bcause she's been waiting quite some time for me to cotinue with her adventures )
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 08:29 PM   #117
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters
 
OmahaStar's Avatar
 
Location: OmahaStar
View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar
Re: Best Audio Book?

Sindatur wrote: View Post
I'm almost done with my CLassic Who Rewatch (Started with Troughton in Jan or Feb and straight through to McCoy). I'm up to Curse of Fenric

I seem to recall hearing that there is an Audioplay "Sequel" to Survivor where The Master is still in "Cat Mode". Is this true? If so what's it called and is it any good?

I've listened to abut half of Evelyn's 3rd story The Apocalypse Element and I am enjoying it immensely. OmahaStar, I am becoming very attached to Evelyn, thanks. I'm liking her attitude more and more as the stories move forward (Though Charley's a bit pissed, bcause she's been waiting quite some time for me to cotinue with her adventures )
Do you have all of Evelyn's stories? If not, this will be of interest to you.

Big Finish is having a "Big Finish 3" convention in the UK, with several of their actors (including Tom Baker and David Warner) signing. For those of us who can't make it, they are doing a "5 pound sale" ... Whether you get the CD or the download, it's 5 pounds ($7.47) ... They got five of their top management, and each of them picked two stories for the sale. They include:

1 - The Judgement of Isskar (5)
2 - Son of the Dragon (5)
3 - The Elite (5 with Tegan)
4 - A Death in the Family (7, WITH EVELYN)
5 - Eternal Summer (5)
6 - The Girl Who Never Was (8)
7 - The Condemned (6)
8 - Cradle of the Snake (5 with Tegan)
9 - Peri and the Piscon Paradox (5 and 6; companion chronicle with Colin Baker as the second reader!)
10 - Jago and Litefoot: Series 1 (5 per disc, so 20 pounds - $29.86 US)

http://bigfinish.com/news/v/doctor-w...-special-offer

Good for this weekend only.
__________________
"Sorry. Wrong movie, buddy."
OmahaStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 08:42 PM   #118
Sindatur
Vice Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: Best Audio Book?

Nope, I just have the first 4, buying them in order.

Hmmmm...Wkik'ing it, I see A Death in the Family is with Ace and Seven, where'd that come from? (Don't tell me if it's really spoilery)

Looks like I'll have to buy that one, and hang onto it until I get there
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 08:56 PM   #119
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral
 
Brendan Moody's Avatar
 
Location: Maine
Re: Best Audio Book?

It's somewhat spoilery. Keep listening to the Evelyn audios in order, and you'll find out how she ends up connected to the seventh Doctor.

I don't think there are any post-"Survival" audios where the Master is in "Cat Mode." There are, however, a couple where his Trakenite body has degenerated into a corpse-like state, allowing Geoffrey Beevers to return in the role. Those are the seventh Doctor stories Dust Breeding and Master. The first is all right but nothing earth-shattering; the second is very spooky even if its mythic elements don't quite work. The Beevers Master also reappears in the first series of Fourth Doctor Adventures.
__________________
Egg, I dreamed I was old.
Brendan Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2013, 09:12 PM   #120
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters
 
OmahaStar's Avatar
 
Location: OmahaStar
View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar
Re: Best Audio Book?

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Nope, I just have the first 4, buying them in order.

Hmmmm...Wkik'ing it, I see A Death in the Family is with Ace and Seven, where'd that come from? (Don't tell me if it's really spoilery)

Looks like I'll have to buy that one, and hang onto it until I get there
As Brendan said, listen to them in order. The timeline works something like this ...

Six with Peri ... Peri departs and marries the quiet guy
Six travels alone. And sometimes with Frobisher.
Six meets Evelyn, they travel together. She is keeping a massive secret from him, which you heard right at the beginning - she has a weak heart.
Older and wiser, Six changes his costume to an indigo version (the blue costume seen in "Real Time").
Evelyn decides to stop traveling. She makes the Doctor one of her famous chocolate cakes as a goodbye present. ("The Wrong Doctors")
Immediately after, Six decides it's time to pick up Mel and travel with her. He changes his costume back to the original technicolor dream version. ("The Wrong Doctors")

We've seen times before where the Doctor meets up with a past companion and has adventures (or just one) with them. Two Doctors, for example. City of Spires for another (Six with Jamie again). At some future point, Seven meets up with Evelyn and has another adventure with her. That's that story.

Other Six and Evelyn stories have come out since then ... just know that at some point in her future, she leaves. That happens with every companion sooner or later.
__________________
"Sorry. Wrong movie, buddy."
OmahaStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:14 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.