RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,716
Members: 24,211
Currently online: 887
Newest member: dmhp32

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 29 2011, 05:09 AM   #1456
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

I don't know...call me crazy, but when I turn on the news, I don't typically expect to learn what fictional characters are doing.
Old April 29 2011, 05:11 AM   #1457
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

Broccoli wrote: View Post
I don't know...call me crazy, but when I turn on the news, I don't typically expect to learn what fictional characters are doing.
Okay - in 2011, you're crazy...or at least not paying attention. You may as well say that when you turn on the news you don't expect to hear what project Lindsay Lohan just got dropped from. Walter Cronkite has been neither a senior editor nor anchor at CBS for some decades now.

DC and Marvel have managed to generate this kind of mainstream media attention more than once in the last few years with stunt plotting - the last time, I believe, was the death of Steve Rogers. One doesn't imagine that this late in the day they're naive to the potential news value of this kind of story event when they cook it up.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2011, 05:12 AM   #1458
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

^ ^Indeed, besides which this has nothing to do with "Man of Steel" and should have been posted in the Action Comics thread (which someone did). Again another reason why I'm so dismissive of this is because this was a back up story. I feel for Cornell a bit who told one of the best Luthor/Superman stories that has been done in a long, long time and it gets ignored because of this.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2011, 05:14 AM   #1459
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Dennis wrote: View Post
Okay - in 2011, you're crazy.

DC and Marvel have managed to generate this kind of mainstream media attention more than once in the last few years with stunt plotting - the last time, I believe, was the death of Steve Rogers. One doesn't imagine that this late in the day they're naive to the potential news value of this kind of story event when they cook it up.
I know it happens, but I still think it is kinda silly. I mean, really, nothing else happened in the world that major news outlets need to talk about what fictional things are happening to fictional characters?

Then again, if it's Fox News...
Old April 29 2011, 05:16 AM   #1460
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Rao...

Old April 29 2011, 05:17 AM   #1461
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

If we could only wish away everything in the media that's "kinda silly" we'd live simpler lives, I suppose.

The reason I brought this up here was stated in my original post - taking a look at our friend "The First Avenger" (known to us Yanks as Captain America) it seems entirely possible that the timing of Clark's becoming a Kryptonian without a country may not be happenstance.

Cornell's story was going to be ignored by the larger media regardless of whether this story was published or not - there's nothing unusual enough about what he's doing to be "newsworthy." Perhaps a result of the mini-controversy may be that a few more people will buy the comic and read Cornell's work, and I'm sure he'll feel good about that.
Old April 29 2011, 05:20 AM   #1462
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Rao...
Oh, it was just a little jab at the expense of Fox's reputation. I'm really not that political.
Old April 29 2011, 05:21 AM   #1463
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

It's not Clark that is revoking his citizenship though...it's Superman, two totally different things.

@Broc my Rao comment wasn't directed at the Fox comment just at the whole story lol.

Old April 29 2011, 05:23 AM   #1464
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

So, I tend to call the character Clark and Superman interchangably - I like "Clark," and have ever since John Byrne invented him. Sue me.
Old April 29 2011, 05:26 AM   #1465
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

So, I tend to call the character Clark and Superman interchangably - I like "Clark," and have ever since John Byrne invented him. Sue me.
Yeah...I don't really read many Superman comics these days, but I'm saddened hear that they've done away with that Clark.
Old April 29 2011, 05:27 AM   #1466
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I was just trying to differentiate who is doing the revoking. This would be something entirely different if Clark went to Lois and said "Honey, I'm revoking my American citizenship so I can function better as Superman and doing so am going to expose my identity to the world." No this was Clark making a Superman decision

Old April 29 2011, 05:28 AM   #1467
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

Yeah...I don't really read many Superman comics these days, but I'm saddened hear that they've done away with that Clark.
Have they? I know that All Star Superman went with the bumbling ol' ReeveClark, but I didn't know that he was generally being written as a dorky disguise these days.
Old April 29 2011, 05:33 AM   #1468
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

^ Johns basically retconned Clark into being Donner Clark.

Old April 29 2011, 05:35 AM   #1469
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

Eh, I guess eventually even Johns had to do something I'd dislike.
Old April 29 2011, 05:35 AM   #1470
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Geoff Johns and Gary Frank brought back the bumbling ol' ReeveClark. (In Frank's case its close to literal)
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote