Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 15 2011, 12:06 AM   #1291
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Hilbilly Rage wrote: View Post
No, but I do watch interviews and some of the things they say and see the things they do.
Ah. Of course.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2011, 12:11 AM   #1292
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral

Maybe a cityscape similar to Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow.
Obiwanshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2011, 12:54 AM   #1293
davejames
Vice Admiral

Hopefully they can find a way to make Krypton look advanced without just looking like another futuristic city you'd see in a Star Trek movie.

One thing I always appreciated about the Donner Krypton is how it truly felt like a strange, alien world from another time (or even another plane of existence). That hint of fantasy lent a real magic to the character from the very start, which probably wouldn't have come through as strongly if he existed only in the strict, scifi world of spaceships and alien planets.

Donner clearly understood that, and I'm hoping Nolan and Snyder do as well...
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2011, 01:45 AM   #1294
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Birthright hinted at a futuristic advanced scientific planet. I'd expect them to go with that kind of a design for Krypton. Personally I don't think we'll see much of the planet.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2011, 08:26 AM   #1295
sojourner
Admiral

Dennis wrote: View Post
sojourner wrote: View Post
, especially when you know nothing of the actual script.
What script? I am referring to movies that have been out for years and noting that based on what little we know at this point it is starting to sound like Superman 2.
Not a bit, actually.

You have a character name. That's it.
Yes, the single data point we have comes straight from Superman 2. That's all I am saying. It's a PR failure that the first thing we learn is that the villain will be the same as the second movie. I am sure that as we learn more it will differentiate, but from a starting point it's not a good thing.
Old April 15 2011, 09:29 AM   #1296
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

It's a PR failure that the first thing we learn is that the villain will be the same as the second movie.
I heard it has a lot of the same characters as the first one - some guy called Clark Kent is in it for sure.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2011, 09:33 AM   #1297
Capt_Pickirk
Fleet Captain

^ and they're using some guy called Superman too!! Aw man! They're reusing characters that fans and the public like! This is gonna suck!!!

RIP Doctor Who 1963-1996
Capt_Pickirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2011, 09:43 AM   #1298
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Capt_Pickirk wrote: View Post
^ and they're using some guy called Superman too!! Aw man! They're reusing characters that fans and the public like! This is gonna suck!!!

I could just see it now:

In a shock announcement, Director Zack Snyder has revealed that his new Superman film will not feature Superman, Clark Kent or Lois Lane. "I just think those characters are played out and might cause confusion with previous films". Instead Snyder plans to use Comet the Superhorse and Beppo the Supermonkey.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2011, 10:26 AM   #1299
Capt_Pickirk
Fleet Captain

JoeZhang wrote: View Post

I could just see it now:

In a shock announcement, Director Zack Snyder has revealed that his new Superman film will not feature Superman, Clark Kent or Lois Lane. "I just think those characters are played out and might cause confusion with previous films". Instead Snyder plans to use Comet the Superhorse and Beppo the Supermonkey.
Also the story will have nothing to do with the planet krypton, or earth.

RIP Doctor Who 1963-1996
Capt_Pickirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2011, 01:08 PM   #1300
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Captain Mike wrote: View Post
davejames wrote: View Post

I thought it was cool seeing it again in SR, but yeah... it does feel like the right time for a new take. Of course judging by the art design for Sucker Punch, it's almost a certainty that there will be a heavy, retro scifi look to it.

And I wouldn't be surprised if the rocketship looked like the old movie serial rocketships too.
This.

That would be very cool.
I on the other hand would be very happy to see some type of Kryptonian birthing matrix appear in the film. Some CGI baby coming out of it would be SO COOL! and the reactions of Costner and Lane would be fabulous...
I would love to see that too. It reminds me of Action Comics Annual #3 when Superman becomes President and it is ruled he is an American Citizen because when the birthing Matrix opened for the Kents he was "born" on American soil.
Old April 15 2011, 02:08 PM   #1301
Misfit Toy
Caped Trek Mod

Dennis wrote: View Post
What script? I am referring to movies that have been out for years and noting that based on what little we know at this point it is starting to sound like Superman 2.
Not a bit, actually.

You have a character name. That's it.
Yes, the single data point we have comes straight from Superman 2. That's all I am saying. It's a PR failure that the first thing we learn is that the villain will be the same as the second movie. I am sure that as we learn more it will differentiate, but from a starting point it's not a good thing.
That "single data point" comes straight from the comics. The fact that he was also used in the previous films is no different than the use of Jimmy Olsen or Perry White.

Of course, I'm hoping for a Krypto cameo...
Old April 15 2011, 02:56 PM   #1302
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Yes, the single data point we have comes straight from Superman 2. That's all I am saying.
You're not saying much. No one has ever suggested that extrapolation from a single data point is worth a goddamn in reaching a useful conclusion.

It's a PR failure that the first thing we learn is that the villain will be the same as the second movie.
Who's declaring it a "PR failure" except you?

m a starting point it's not a good thing.
It's not a bad thing. Zod's a popular character. So are Superman, Lois Lane, and Lex Luthor - go figure.

You've got a name. You jumped to an unjustified conclusion. That's it.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2011, 04:19 PM   #1303
Too Much Fun
Commodore

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
If this is a reference to "The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr.", I tip my hat to you, good sir.
Too Much Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2011, 04:36 PM   #1304
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

Nope Comet is real honest to God actual comics character that predates Brisco by a couple of decades.
Old April 15 2011, 04:40 PM   #1305
Too Much Fun
Commodore

Jeez, how many superanimals are there in DC comics? I'd only heard of "Krypto, the Superdog" and I thought he was one of a kind! Maybe the "Brisco County Jr." Comet was an homage, then?
Too Much Fun is offline   Reply With Quote