RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,666
Members: 24,817
Currently online: 418
Newest member: 118_Larson

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 31 2011, 02:01 AM   #1051
davejames
Vice Admiral

Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
I don't want this to turn into another "Superman Returns" debate (which is why I didn't bother to post that article here in the first place frankly) but really aside from Kate Bosworth as Lois and Kevin Spacey channeling Gene Hackman's Luthor my main problem is that instead of making an original Superman story, he chose to set this in a vague (using his own words here) continuation of the Donner universe. I think everyone was expecting a Bryan Singer Superman movie to be in it's own continuity. We got a sense of what an original story from him would be like but setting it in the DonnerVerse was a mistake I think. Other than that I think it's remarkable film. Not the film most fans wanted to see...but a remarkable film anyways.
Yeah, I can't help but sympathize with Singer a bit. Like me, he clearly expected that more fans would embrace a movie that paid tribute to the Donner/Christopher Reeve Superman we all grew up with, and that viewed the character in such a poetic, thoughtful (and even reverential) way.

And frankly I thought he did more than enough to make this world feel fresh and new; the various homages have never felt as blatant to me as they have to others, and I thought were worked in quite subtly and smoothly.

I did have to agree with the interviewer on one point though. As much as I love the movie, it WAS mighty unsatisfying that we never got to see Superman confront Luthor again and deliver a little bit of justice after the serious ass-kicking he got.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2011, 03:23 AM   #1052
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
Yeah, I can't help but sympathize with Singer a bit. Like me, he clearly expected that more fans would embrace a movie that paid tribute to the Donner/Christopher Reeve Superman we all grew up with, and that viewed the character in such a poetic, thoughtful (and even reverential) way.

And frankly I thought he did more than enough to make this world feel fresh and new; the various homages have never felt as blatant to me as they have to others, and I thought were worked in quite subtly and smoothly.

I did have to agree with the interviewer on one point though. As much as I love the movie, it WAS mighty unsatisfying that we never got to see Superman confront Luthor again and deliver a little bit of justice after the serious ass-kicking he got.
Agreed with all of that.

I didn't see a lot of Hackman in Spacey's performance, BTW. In the way the character was written, yes - but Spacey brought a cold malevolence and some anger to it that was missing in Hackman's more comic approach.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2011, 04:58 AM   #1053
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Dennis wrote: View Post
davejames wrote: View Post

Agreed with all of that.

I didn't see a lot of Hackman in Spacey's performance, BTW. In the way the character was written, yes - but Spacey brought a cold malevolence and some anger to it that was missing in Hackman's more comic approach.
Agreed. Spacey had an extra layer of sinister to him and really wanted some cold revenge on Superman. Hackman never really seemed all that irritated with Supes other than "You foiled my plan! Rats!" Killing Supes always seemed like a secondary measure, if possible (and if not, no biggies).
Old March 31 2011, 05:00 AM   #1054
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

IIRC, the writers of Returns also toned down the "I, Lex Luthor, greatest mind of our times" speeches. That helped.
Old March 31 2011, 05:08 AM   #1055
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Michael Shannon just signed on to a project filming in the summer time. I'm assuming this means he won't be joining "Superman". I can't find the link to the story but will post it when I do...

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2011, 05:12 AM   #1056
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

IIRC, the writers of Returns also toned down the "I, Lex Luthor, greatest mind of our times" speeches. That helped.
They toned down the ego and made him a bit more of a sociopath.
Old March 31 2011, 05:14 AM   #1057
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

^ Yeah Returns Lex was like a combination of mongrel Lex combined with schemer mix. I loved the white outfit though. Straight from the modern comics. There were touches like this that still made me wish that this was not a Donner homage.

Old March 31 2011, 05:16 AM   #1058
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Broccoli wrote: View Post
They toned down the ego and made him a bit more of a sociopath.
Yeah, there was real malice in him. The Donner version was just pride and ego.

Which is not to say a word against Hackman, who's certainly not a lesser actor than Spacey. Just different movies with different scripts, different tones and actors making different choices.
Old March 31 2011, 07:37 AM   #1059
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Michael Shannon just signed on to a project filming in the summer time. I'm assuming this means he won't be joining "Superman". I can't find the link to the story but will post it when I do...
Aw man. Well Mad Men isn't coming back until next summer so maybe theres still a chance for Jon Hamm for Lex. How was he in Sucker Punch? Was it remotely anything resembling a Lex Luthor type? I still haven't seen it yet.
Obiwanshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2011, 11:19 AM   #1060
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Jon Hamm was rarely in "Sucker Punch" he plays
and pretty much is hard to judge.

Old March 31 2011, 07:17 PM   #1061
davejames
Vice Admiral

Broccoli wrote: View Post
Agreed. Spacey had an extra layer of sinister to him and really wanted some cold revenge on Superman. Hackman never really seemed all that irritated with Supes other than "You foiled my plan! Rats!" Killing Supes always seemed like a secondary measure, if possible (and if not, no biggies).
Hackman did have a couple moments that showed how cold and heartless he could be ("no, by causing the deaths of innocent people"), but yeah, mostly it seemed like just a game to him.

Although in some strange way, I have to admit his portrayal of Lex also feels kind of right to me. At that stage in their relationship, it makes sense that someone with his ego and intelligence probably WOULD regard Superman in a dismissive way like that, and as nothing more than a nuisance.

Whatever the case, I will always find Hackman's performance in those movies to be absolutely brilliant and fun as hell to watch.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2011, 07:26 PM   #1062
Aragorn
Admiral

It was already mentioned before there was any director on board, but now Snyder is also saying that Superman is its own universe and won't be connecting to Justice League, so anyone who wanted a different actor to play Supes, your guy still has a shot:

‘It doesn’t. Like what Chris Nolan is doing and what I’m doing with Superman, what they’ll do with Justice League will be it’s own thing with it’s own Batman and own Superman. We’ll be over here with our movie and they’ll kinda get to do it twice which is kinda cool’
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2011, 07:29 PM   #1063
Jetfire

Armie Hammer? Joe Manganiello? Matthew Bomer? Brandon Routh? Tom Welling?
Old March 31 2011, 07:33 PM   #1064
Dream
Admiral

Please pick a good Lex. Please pick a good Lex. Please pick a good Lex.

Would Jon Hamm look good bald?
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2011, 07:36 PM   #1065
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post
Please pick a good Lex. Please pick a good Lex. Please pick a good Lex.

Would Jon Hamm look good bald?
http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/f26...-with-jon-hamm

Clearly a prosthetic skull cap, but I'd say so.
Obiwanshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote