Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 30 2013, 10:03 PM   #6121
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Worf2DS9 wrote: View Post
I bought the Official Movie Guide today, but I'm going to somehow resist reading the text until after I see the film, lest I stumble upon any spoilers (if there are any significant ones out there). I'll allow myself permission to just look at the photos.
That's the way the pushers suck you in...they give you a hit, and then walk away leaving the bag in front of you [/Guy Gardner mode]

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2013, 12:07 AM   #6122
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
^^^
I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt on that.
Yeah, in context, it's clear he's referring to recent Oscar winners like THE ARTIST and SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE.

Just to belabor the point about Amy Adams, btw, it should probably be noted that Julie & Julia was hardly a small, artsy cult film. It was an extremely popular mainstream film that grossed nearly $100 million in the US alone. Heck, even my mother saw it and she almost never goes to the movies anymore.
I think I may have phrased something wrong. I was mostly referring to Junebug, which seems to have gotten a lot of awards and was big on her page on wikipedia, but its a movie I've never even heard of and so I mentioned it and that was the coimment about independant movies. Julie & Julia was mentioned as a movie that was big and popular, but it was definately made for a female audience so it was just an example of one of her bigger movies that I didn't think I should be expoected to know.

I was just pointing out that her biggest movies aren't exactly things I'd be expected to have watched or know of, even if I liked more of the general movies that get released. The Fighter I just mentioned because it was on her list and I'd never heard of it (plus it sounds pretty stupid, even forgetting the fact that I think Christian Bale is a horrible actor). I was just trying to say that I think its unfair for people to know Amy Adams, and thats she's definately not a house hold name. I wasn't denying she's famous for some people, but the fact that I've barely seen her or know of her really isn't a big shock.

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
kirk55555 wrote: View Post
I realised that a long time ago, and I'm reminded whenever stupid things like silent movies or films about a gameshow in india are declared the best movie of the year.

Stupid things like silent movies? Seriously? There are a LOT of amazing silent movies.

Of course, what were they thinking, why didn't they wait for the invention of sound before the invention of film. Stupid inventors...

Actually, that was a shot at The Artist, a new silent film released in 2011 and that won Best Picture from the academy awards that year (like a lot of people pointed out) and the other I mentioned was Slumdog Millionaire. I remember seeing something about it on the news and just laughing about the fact that it was the goofiest thing I'd heard of for awhile. It was just used as an observation that I'm not in the audience for most film critic loved movies that win awards like that, because they're usually bizarre and not normal movies. Those two were the most obvious examples to me.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2013, 12:25 AM   #6123
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

I was just pointing out that her biggest movies aren't exactly things I'd be expected to have watched or know of, even if I liked more of the general movies that get released. The Fighter I just mentioned because it was on her list and I'd never heard of it (plus it sounds pretty stupid, even forgetting the fact that I think Christian Bale is a horrible actor). I was just trying to say that I think its unfair for people to know Amy Adams, and thats she's definately not a house hold name. I wasn't denying she's famous for some people, but the fact that I've barely seen her or know of her really isn't a big shock.
She is a household name. The fact that you'd never heard of The Fighter demonstrates that your knowledge of film is very limited. It was a major awards contender, got plenty of press, and was a box office hit.
Old May 31 2013, 12:42 AM   #6124
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

She is a household name. The fact that you'd never heard of The Fighter demonstrates that your knowledge of film is very limited. It was a major awards contender, got plenty of press, and was a box office hit.
I count the actors who are house hold names as people like Jack Nicholson, Will Smith, Clint Eastwood, Angelina Jolie, Bruce Willis, actors/actresses like that. There is no way Amy Adams is that that level. I'll admit I don't pay much attention to movies that aren't things I'd obviously be interested in (Sci Fi/fantasy stuff and superhero movies) but when even my Dad, who watches a LOT of movies, doesn't know Amy Adams by name then I know I'm not too off the mark. He has a larger taste in movie than I do (although neither of us like artsy movies or bizarre stuff that wins a bunch of awards, he watches a lot more of the general big movies) and he's probably seen her less than I have (probably only in Catch Me if You Can, maybe The Fighter). I'm not saying she's not well know by a lot of people, I'm just saying its a certain amount, and that if I went on to the street in an average place, I bet most people will have no idea who I'm talking about if I ask them who Amy Adams is.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2013, 01:07 AM   #6125
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

She is a household name.
No she's not. Not by a longshot.

A lot of people would recognize her if they saw her, but they'd struggle to think of her name (and will likely fail in producing the correct one). She's B-list, if even that.

Household names are the massively huge stars. Brad Pitt, Johnny Depp, Madonna, Tom Cruise, Morgan Freeman, etc.

And if you try to convince anyone otherwise, you're your user name.
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2013, 01:15 AM   #6126
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Okay, household name was a bridge too far on my part, but suggesting that she might be considered below B-list is a bridge too far in the other direction. She doesn't have the name recognition of a Jolie or Theron, but the industry would consider her amongst its top actresses. She's at about Rachel McAdams' level of fame.
Old May 31 2013, 01:20 AM   #6127
sojourner
Vice Admiral

She's definitely trending up towards A list in name recognition and may be there after MOS. She is recognized by face at this point by more people than name.

Heck, I still get her confused with Isla Fisher half the time. Especially how Isla looked in Confessions of a Shopaholic.
Old May 31 2013, 01:27 AM   #6128
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

Amy Adams was in a movie with the Muppets and is playing Lois Lane. She is tied into two of my life long interests and is adorable and sexy. I love her!
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2013, 01:35 AM   #6129
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Anwar wrote: View Post
But Ultimate MJ is more or less just Gwen with red hair though. Isn't that kind of redundant?
Heh...I remember a bit in a Not Brand Echh reprint that parodied the fact that Mary Jane and Gwen, as drawn by John Romita, were the same character with different hair color. I always think of that when people get picky about things like MJ being a composite character in the Raimi films.

COUNTDOWN: 15 days.
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2013, 02:40 AM   #6130
JD
Admiral

Okay, household name was a bridge too far on my part, but suggesting that she might be considered below B-list is a bridge too far in the other direction. She doesn't have the name recognition of a Jolie or Theron, but the industry would consider her amongst its top actresses. She's at about Rachel McAdams' level of fame.
I might have been thinking she was more popular than she is too. I was another one calling her a household name, but I'm pretty much on the other end of the spectrum from Kirk55555, so there are probably a lot of people who I think of as being famous that the average person hasn't heard of.
Old May 31 2013, 03:49 AM   #6131
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Actually, that was a shot at The Artist, a new silent film released in 2011 and that won Best Picture from the academy awards that year (like a lot of people pointed out) and the other I mentioned was Slumdog Millionaire. I remember seeing something about it on the news and just laughing about the fact that it was the goofiest thing I'd heard of for awhile. It was just used as an observation that I'm not in the audience for most film critic loved movies that win awards like that, because they're usually bizarre and not normal movies. Those two were the most obvious examples to me.
I get that it was a shot at the Artist, but you aimed widely to try and take down all silent films.

I would say that you should see The Artist, the reason it's a silent film is actually a part of its story. It's a funny and moving story... and that makes it quite an achievement to win for best picture... a comedy RARELY wins.

And I get that you think you aren't the audience for most "critic loved movies" but I think you aren't the audience for a LOT of movies.
Old May 31 2013, 08:44 AM   #6132
TayLaLaLa
Fleet Captain

Donald Draper wrote: View Post
Amy Adams was in a movie with the Muppets and is playing Lois Lane. She is tied into two of my life long interests and is adorable and sexy. I love her!
Yes!

I first saw her on 'Smallville' but the movie 'Enchanted' just won me over with her.

Just on casting alone, Amy is my Lois Lane.
TayLaLaLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2013, 09:24 AM   #6133
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
I think all these Brad Pitt and Johnny Depp lookalikes criticising the looks of Amy Adams, Kirsten Dunst etc should post pics of themselves, so we can marvel at their Adonis-like perfection. #just saying#
You don't have to be pretty to judge pretty,
I just get alternately amused and fed up by all these anonymous keyboard warriors sitting at home slagging off the looks of women who are at the very least above-average looking. They don't have to find the women attractive but sometimes if you have nothing nice to say, it's better to say nothing at all.
Old May 31 2013, 12:16 PM   #6134
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

But will she look good in her cape when she gets her powers and saves Superman from the demented evil of the Prankster?
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2013, 01:31 PM   #6135
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Wait, someone's complaining about films that they haven't seen winning awards (and they're serious)?!? Ah, the Internet.