RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,622
Posts: 5,426,585
Members: 24,809
Currently online: 576
Newest member: down to earth

TrekToday headlines

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

September Loot Crate Features Trek Surprise
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

USS Enterprise Miniature Out For Refit
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Comic Crossover
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old May 30 2013, 01:01 PM   #6106
marksound
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Planet Carcazed
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Shazam! wrote: View Post
Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
I think all these Brad Pitt and Johnny Depp lookalikes criticising the looks of Amy Adams, Kirsten Dunst etc should post pics of themselves, so we can marvel at their Adonis-like perfection. #just saying#
Do we have to upload our own movies if we see a film we don't like as well?
People do that already.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2013, 01:45 PM   #6107
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral
 
Captaindemotion's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Shazam! wrote: View Post
Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
I think all these Brad Pitt and Johnny Depp lookalikes criticising the looks of Amy Adams, Kirsten Dunst etc should post pics of themselves, so we can marvel at their Adonis-like perfection. #just saying#
Do we have to upload our own movies if we see a film we don't like as well?
If you've made any films, yes you should. But seeing as most people haven't made films, whereas all of them have faces, my option is probably easier.
__________________
Hodor!!!!!!!
Captaindemotion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2013, 04:02 PM   #6108
sojourner
Admiral
 
sojourner's Avatar
 
Location: I'm at WKRP
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
I think all these Brad Pitt and Johnny Depp lookalikes criticising the looks of Amy Adams, Kirsten Dunst etc should post pics of themselves, so we can marvel at their Adonis-like perfection. #just saying#
You don't have to be pretty to judge pretty,
__________________
Baby, you and me were never meant to be, just maybe think of me once in a while...
sojourner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2013, 06:49 PM   #6109
kirk55555
Fleet Captain
 
kirk55555's Avatar
 
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

JD wrote: View Post
kirk55555 wrote: View Post
sojourner wrote: View Post
Amy Adams looks a hell of a lot better than 'ole snaggle tooth that they got to play Mary Jane Watson.
I don't know, I think Kirsten Dunst is attractive. Not the most attractive actress by any stretch, but decent and she is definately better looking than Amy Adams. Still, talking about this is especially pointless because who people find attractive is even more diverse than what movies people like, and even more a matter of opinion. Besides, I don't care if Lois is attractive if she's played well (and the Lois's in the first 4 Superman movies weren't women I'd call attractive, either).
I'm pretty sure he was talking about Shailene Woodley, The Amazing Spider-Man 2's MJ.
And Amy Adams is a very popular A-List actress. She's been in some very popular, well received movies, and she's been nominated for a ton of acting awards over the years. She's pretty much a household name at this point, so I don't how you could think she's not famous. She's very famous.
That Amy adams stuff actually surprised me. I mean, did that many people watch Night at the Museum 2 or Enchanted? Catch Me if You Can was a good movie, but her role was pretty small (I couldn't even remember who she was, but Wikipedia says she was in it). Of her other movies, its just stuff I've never heard of (which is most of it) or never saw (like The Muppets). Still, I'm not in the demographic for things like the movies she seems to usually does so its entirely possible thats shes famous to a lot of people. To me, she's just a woman I've seen in small parts or in a bad movie like Night at the Museum 2, and those seem to be what her normal role is.

On another topic, that #11 TV spot was really underwhelming. It also had enough explosions to make Michael Bay jealous, but that seems to be every TV spot for Superman anyway.

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
Adams is beautiful, charming, intelligent, extremely talented, and one of the biggest actresses on the planet right now.

She'll be a fabulous Lois. Why is this even an issue?

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
Its a totally superficial observation
Something you seem to have a knack for.


I think I know what you're talking about, but I'm saying superficial when it comes to looks, and she's the only part of the movie i've commented on in that way. My other complaints aren't what I'd call superficial. They may not be valid for everybody (some people would love this to be as dark, depressing, slow, and boring as Nolan's batman movies) but, outside of the admittedly superficial complaint about Amy Adams being very bland looking and forgettable, I haven't brought up superficial stuff very much. Maybe I said the Superman suit sucks (and it does, although not as much as the current suit in the comics) but the suit could be pink and lime green for all I care if the movie was good.
kirk55555 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2013, 07:06 PM   #6110
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral
 
Out Of My Vulcan Mind's Avatar
 
Location: Wherever you go, there you are.
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
That Amy adams stuff actually surprised me. I mean, did that many people watch Night at the Museum 2 or Enchanted?
Yes, they were both big hits.

To me, she's just a woman I've seen in small parts or in a bad movie like Night at the Museum 2, and those seem to be what her normal role is.
Forgive me, but only someone with a very limited knowledge of film could think that.
__________________
"I'll see you in another life, brother."
Out Of My Vulcan Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2013, 07:07 PM   #6111
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral
 
JoeZhang's Avatar
 
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

sojourner wrote: View Post
Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
I think all these Brad Pitt and Johnny Depp lookalikes criticising the looks of Amy Adams, Kirsten Dunst etc should post pics of themselves, so we can marvel at their Adonis-like perfection. #just saying#
You don't have to be pretty to judge pretty,
That is why I will not be ashamed to judge them when they put up their photos.
JoeZhang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2013, 07:45 PM   #6112
kirk55555
Fleet Captain
 
kirk55555's Avatar
 
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
kirk55555 wrote: View Post
That Amy adams stuff actually surprised me. I mean, did that many people watch Night at the Museum 2 or Enchanted?
Yes, they were both big hits.

To me, she's just a woman I've seen in small parts or in a bad movie like Night at the Museum 2, and those seem to be what her normal role is.
Forgive me, but only someone with a very limited knowledge of film could think that.
I'm not a film expert. Looking at most of her movies on wikipedia, they're mostly styff stuff I have absolutely no interest in. I'm not arguing that I have the same tastes as snob film critics, I don't. I realised that a long time ago, and I'm reminded whenever stupid things like silent movies or films about a gameshow in india are declared the best movie of the year.

Still, looking at her movies on wikipedia, are low budget drama's or adaptations of stage plays that popular? What about movies that are completely made for women?Am I that ignorant because I haven't seen Junebug? Or Doubt, Julie & Julia, or The Fighter? These are not what I'd call normal movies, from the perspective of movies trying to get a general audience and not just specific demographics like only women, or people that like independant stuff. Not that she hasn't done several general movies, but all the movies that are listed as having a bunch of awards are mostly bizarre movies that I don't think I'd be expected to have seen even if I did watch more general movies and less sci-fi/fantasy. Also, Night at the Museum was a horrible movie, regardless of how much money it made. I'm not arguing that she's well known to some people, I'm just saying she's not what I'd call a generally famous star that everyone should probably be expected to know.
kirk55555 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2013, 07:59 PM   #6113
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral
 
SalvorHardin's Avatar
 
Location: Star's End
View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Various info and spoilers for the movie that Collider gathered during their time on the set of Man of Steel

__________________

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2013, 08:11 PM   #6114
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
I'm not a film expert. Looking at most of her movies on wikipedia, they're mostly styff stuff I have absolutely no interest in. I'm not arguing that I have the same tastes as snob film critics, I don't. I realised that a long time ago, and I'm reminded whenever stupid things like silent movies or films about a gameshow in india are declared the best movie of the year.

Still, looking at her movies on wikipedia, are low budget drama's or adaptations of stage plays that popular? What about movies that are completely made for women?Am I that ignorant because I haven't seen Junebug? Or Doubt, Julie & Julia, or The Fighter? These are not what I'd call normal movies, from the perspective of movies trying to get a general audience and not just specific demographics like only women, or people that like independant stuff. Not that she hasn't done several general movies, but all the movies that are listed as having a bunch of awards are mostly bizarre movies that I don't think I'd be expected to have seen even if I did watch more general movies and less sci-fi/fantasy. Also, Night at the Museum was a horrible movie, regardless of how much money it made. I'm not arguing that she's well known to some people, I'm just saying she's not what I'd call a generally famous star that everyone should probably be expected to know.
They may not be your type of movies, but it's not like they were small indie films that only "movie snobs" liked. DOUBT, JULIE & JULIA, THE FIGHTER, etc. were all major motion pictures that played in suburban multiplexes, not just dinky little art theaters in the West Village or whatever. And ENCHANTED was a mega-hit that most of America (and probably everyone with kids) has seen more than once. Amy Adams is far and away the biggest-name star to ever play Lois Lane.

(I mean, it's not like Margot Kidder was a household name back in 1978!)

Saying that dramas and comedies and chick flicks don't count as real movies is like saying that only hamburgers and pizza count as "normal" food, as opposed to all that "mostly bizarre" stuff like tacos and tandoori and sushi!

(And that silent movie, THE ARTIST, was a whole lot of fun, btw. You should check it out!)
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com

Last edited by Greg Cox; May 30 2013 at 08:37 PM.
Greg Cox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2013, 08:43 PM   #6115
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral
 
Professor Zoom's Avatar
 
Location: Idealistic
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
I realised that a long time ago, and I'm reminded whenever stupid things like silent movies or films about a gameshow in india are declared the best movie of the year.
Stupid things like silent movies? Seriously? There are a LOT of amazing silent movies.

Of course, what were they thinking, why didn't they wait for the invention of sound before the invention of film. Stupid inventors...
__________________
Batman does not eat nachos.
Professor Zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2013, 08:48 PM   #6116
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral
 
Out Of My Vulcan Mind's Avatar
 
Location: Wherever you go, there you are.
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
Stupid things like silent movies? Seriously? There are a LOT of amazing silent movies.

Of course, what were they thinking, why didn't they wait for the invention of sound before the invention of film. Stupid inventors...
He doesn't mean silent films in general. He's talking about The Artist winning Best Picture at the Oscars.
__________________
"I'll see you in another life, brother."
Out Of My Vulcan Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2013, 09:02 PM   #6117
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral
 
Professor Zoom's Avatar
 
Location: Idealistic
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
Stupid things like silent movies? Seriously? There are a LOT of amazing silent movies.

Of course, what were they thinking, why didn't they wait for the invention of sound before the invention of film. Stupid inventors...
He doesn't mean silent films in general. He's talking about The Artist winning Best Picture at the Oscars.
Given his track record, I don't know. He didn't say A stupid thing like A silent movie.

He said stupid thingS like silent movieS, plural. As in ALL silent movies.
__________________
Batman does not eat nachos.
Professor Zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2013, 09:06 PM   #6118
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral
 
Out Of My Vulcan Mind's Avatar
 
Location: Wherever you go, there you are.
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

^^^
I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt on that.
__________________
"I'll see you in another life, brother."
Out Of My Vulcan Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2013, 09:23 PM   #6119
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
^^^
I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt on that.
Yeah, in context, it's clear he's referring to recent Oscar winners like THE ARTIST and SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE.

Just to belabor the point about Amy Adams, btw, it should probably be noted that Julie & Julia was hardly a small, artsy cult film. It was an extremely popular mainstream film that grossed nearly $100 million in the US alone. Heck, even my mother saw it and she almost never goes to the movies anymore.
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com
Greg Cox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2013, 09:29 PM   #6120
Worf2DS9
Writer
 
Worf2DS9's Avatar
 
Location: Canada, eh
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

I bought the Official Movie Guide today, but I'm going to somehow resist reading the text until after I see the film, lest I stumble upon any spoilers (if there are any significant ones out there). I'll allow myself permission to just look at the photos.
__________________
Shorts in: SNW5 | SNW7 | SNW9
+ Star Trek: Corps of Engineers - "The Light"
+ Full Throttle Space Tales #3: Space Grunts - "Rush"
Worf2DS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
christopher nolan, man of steel, superman, zack snyder

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:00 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.