New X-Men: Days of Future Past Trailer
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Nimoy to Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Star Trek Special: Flesh and Stone Comic
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

These Are The Voyages TOS Season Two Book Review
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 28 2013, 03:07 AM   #6061
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

You know, my favorite moment in that last ad is Clark saying to the guy he just saved from certain death, "You okay?"
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2013, 03:43 AM   #6062
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

Its my favorite part too!
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2013, 04:45 AM   #6063
Gojira
Commodore

I liked that moment too. He's is letting the military know that he is a good guy.
Old May 28 2013, 05:47 AM   #6064
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

^ That's a total Superman moment

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2013, 05:55 PM   #6065
davejames
Vice Admiral

Wow, that's some serious heat-vision Superman's using in that trailer. I'm glad to see some actual beams again, but I'm not sure I wanted it to look THAT powerful.

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
I particularly love the shot in the 8th TV spot where Jor-El opens up his robe to reveal the family crest and says "This symbol stands for hope." Just brilliant. I have a feeling that Crowe is just going to be on the button as Jor-El.
Yeah I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised at the genuine emotion that seems to be coming through in these trailers. There's none of that over-stylized and artificial feel that we usually get from Snyder's movie trailers, and the characters actually seem surprisingly believable and real.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2013, 07:18 PM   #6066
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

I don't know where to start praising these trailers.

The spectacle? The SFX? The action? The way Henry totally sells the 'You okay?' and 'Excuse me' moments? Russell Crowe (who I haven't liked in anything for years) as Jor-El? Costner as Jonathan Kent? Michael Shannon? The way Snyder seems to have made a film that makes redundant all those 'slower than a speeding bullet' jokes (of which I'm as guilty as anyone)?

Can't wait.
Old May 28 2013, 07:46 PM   #6067
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

That last TV (#7) spot was decent. At the very least, it didn't make me think of Johnathan Kent and the drowning of children Superman seemed to not be as depressed as I thought he'd be, but being somewhat normal with two lines in a tV spot doesn't mean he won't start copying bale's Batman for most of the movie (and bearded clark argues for dark, depressed Superman more than two lines from a trailer argue against).

Also, Lois is starting to get annoying, and it has nothing do do with her lines. The trouble with casting people that look nothing like more common versions of the characters in stuff like this is that it gets confusing. I expect Lois to have black or very dark brown hair, so when I'm not thinking about it I can't tell if she's in a trailer/tv spot or not. Thats not always a problem if the actor/actress is memorable (like Laurence Fishbure, I'd have never picked him as Perry but he's easily identifiable) but Amy Adams is so bland and not Lois like that its honestly hard to tell in a fast trailer/TV spot if its Lois or random women in certain clips.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2013, 07:58 PM   #6068
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

New TV spot looks fantastic.
JoeZhang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2013, 08:23 PM   #6069
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
I wonder if Lois will pick up some fallen soldiers rocket launcher and start attacking the bad guys
You do know her father is a general in the US Army and she grew up as an Army brat? That alone makes it likely she'll grab some sort of weapon and actually know how to use it (well, more likely than just about any other non-soldier character in the movie).
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2013, 11:22 PM   #6070
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

I've never been much of a Superman fan, but have to say that I don't think you could've put together a more stellar cast and crew than was assembled for Man of Steel, and I'm actually looking forward to seeing it.

I just watched the third full-scale trailer, BTW, and really like the tone and 'look' Snyder et al have brought to the table; it reminds me of 300 and 30 Days of Night crossed with Barman Begins and The Amazing Spider-Man, with a bit of The Avengers and Spider-Man 2 tossed in as well.

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2013, 11:59 PM   #6071
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Ovation wrote: View Post
I wonder if Lois will pick up some fallen soldiers rocket launcher and start attacking the bad guys
You do know her father is a general in the US Army and she grew up as an Army brat? That alone makes it likely she'll grab some sort of weapon and actually know how to use it (well, more likely than just about any other non-soldier character in the movie).
Yeah, I know that, and I'm all for Lois being more than a damsel in distress. It was just a comment after seeing Jor-El, who's supposed to be just a scientist, look like he's about to laucnh into a action movie star rampage against the bad guys with his stupid armor and weird (I'm assuming laser?) gun. I could probably have replaced Lois with Ma Kent or something in the comment. Still, army brat =/= working knowledge on using a rocket launcher. Besides, it doesn't look like a rocket launcher would be very helpful, anyway. My point (about Jor-El stupidly being turned into a fighter and wether or not the movie will keep doing that) still stands.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2013, 03:11 AM   #6072
RAMA
Vice Admiral

My anticipation for Man of Steel has gone up from 4-5 out of the big movies to possibly even #2 now. It's an astoundingly impactful trailer in Imax 3D.

RAMA
Old May 29 2013, 02:33 PM   #6073
Gojira
Commodore

Also, Lois is starting to get annoying, and it has nothing do do with her lines. The trouble with casting people that look nothing like more common versions of the characters in stuff like this is that it gets confusing. I expect Lois to have black or very dark brown hair, so when I'm not thinking about it I can't tell if she's in a trailer/tv spot or not. Thats not always a problem if the actor/actress is memorable (like Laurence Fishbure, I'd have never picked him as Perry but he's easily identifiable) but Amy Adams is so bland and not Lois like that its honestly hard to tell in a fast trailer/TV spot if its Lois or random women in certain clips.

I have to laugh that you can be so harshly judgmental on a character who has only been flashed on the screen for seconds from a few very fast paced trailers!

Anyway, if you have watched the Adventures of Superman, when Noel Neill played Lois Lane she had red hair through out the rest of the series. In the last season, according to the commentary on of the episodes, she had to dye it and even brighter red.

Last edited by Gojira; May 29 2013 at 02:55 PM.
Gojira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2013, 04:54 PM   #6074
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Close. It's a Kryptonian gun

TV Spot number 10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gu-JMgYhvpA

Old May 29 2013, 04:57 PM   #6075
davejames
Vice Admiral

I'll never understand this fanboy need to have every character in a superhero movie look exactly like their comic book counterpart (especially when it comes to female characters like Lois or Mary Jane).
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote