RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,397
Posts: 5,358,865
Members: 24,626
Currently online: 533
Newest member: space2050


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old March 7 2013, 12:49 AM   #5386
davejames
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Sac, Ca
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Superman Returns bested the flying effects in the Reeve movie at every turn. Didn't make it a better movie - just vastly superior effects.
Ugh. I'm a big fan of SR... but that cartoony CG Superman still makes me cringe every time I see it. And it only looks more outdated with every passing year.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2013, 12:56 AM   #5387
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Not half so much as the clumsy wire and blue screen work of the Reeve movies.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2013, 01:13 AM   #5388
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral
 
Corran Horn's Avatar
 
Location: I-L
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

davejames wrote: View Post
My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Superman Returns bested the flying effects in the Reeve movie at every turn. Didn't make it a better movie - just vastly superior effects.
Ugh. I'm a big fan of SR... but that cartoony CG Superman still makes me cringe every time I see it. And it only looks more outdated with every passing year.
I disagree. I thought the flying sequences, particularly in the shuttle/jet sequence, were great.
__________________
"I don't drink, I don't smoke, I don't do drugs. I play video games, which I think is a far superior addiction to any of those other ones. "
Corran Horn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2013, 01:55 AM   #5389
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain
 
Mister Fandango's Avatar
 
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

I'm pretty partial to Smallville's take on flying. The turbulence effect was just a really nice touch. Made it feel both fast and powerful somehow.
Mister Fandango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2013, 02:17 AM   #5390
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral
 
Flying Spaghetti Monster's Avatar
 
Location: Flying Spaghetti Western
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
The flying in Superman came across as shaky at best in 1978 - a few good shots, a lot of compromises and a few stinkers; no, I did not "believe a man could fly." I believed Christopher Reeve was Superman, though - Clark Kent, not so much.

As for three pages back...I'd sit through Serenity again before I'd tolerate four of the six Star Wars movies, and I do know a few things about film.
I prefer ingenuity, even if it is "shakey" by today's standards, over the so-called panacea of CGI laziness. The scene where Superman first takes off after Lois dangling from a helicopter is amazing,a ndf there's a quick edit in there to perhaps cover the limit of the effects at the time but actually adds to the energy of the shot. I really think that filmmakers have forgotten that art can thrive more on limitations... because with CGI wou can do anything, but you become less creative.

as for your second point, har har har. Without Star wars there would be no stupid browncoat crap, or any blockbusters in the traditional sense, or the idea of science fiction world building. har har har to you!
__________________
Can't we have pills and cook the corn?
Flying Spaghetti Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2013, 02:19 AM   #5391
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral
 
A beaker full of death's Avatar
 
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Not half so much as the clumsy wire and blue screen work of the Reeve movies.
Assumes facts not in evidence.
Yes, the bluescreen stuff dated terribly.
The wire work was simply magnificent.
At no time in SR did it look like a man was flying through the air.
Reeve WAS flying through the air.
__________________
"shall not be infringed" is naturally open to infringements of all kinds, because shut up and think of the children.
http://www.americanthinker.com/2013/...#ixzz2ImW0V3GV
A beaker full of death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2013, 02:30 AM   #5392
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

I guess if Nolan were the director, he would have the actor fly through city streets on wires, because he prefers practical effects where possible.

They had RDJ flying with wires in Iron Man 1 during the test scenes in his laboratory as well.
__________________
lol
l
/\
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2013, 03:04 AM   #5393
Set Harth
Rear Admiral
 
Set Harth's Avatar
 
Location: Gallifrey Falls
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

A beaker full of death wrote: View Post
At no time in SR did it look like a man was flying through the air.
__________________
"In the future... do I make it?"
"No."
Set Harth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2013, 03:39 AM   #5394
sojourner
Vice Admiral
 
sojourner's Avatar
 
Location: I'm at WKRP
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Have to admit, for some good recent flying effects, I have to go with Chronicle. For the budget of that film those flight scenes were great!
__________________
Baby, you and me were never meant to be, just maybe think of me once in a while...
sojourner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2013, 03:45 AM   #5395
Gojira
Commodore
 
Gojira's Avatar
 
Location: Stompin' on Tokyo
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

davejames wrote: View Post
My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Superman Returns bested the flying effects in the Reeve movie at every turn. Didn't make it a better movie - just vastly superior effects.
Ugh. I'm a big fan of SR... but that cartoony CG Superman still makes me cringe every time I see it. And it only looks more outdated with every passing year.
Really? I cannot even tell it is CGI.
__________________
My Science Fiction-Fantasy movie review Blog: http://foleyfunfilmfacts.wordpress.com/
Gojira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2013, 03:47 AM   #5396
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral
 
Trekker4747's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

I agree the flying scenes lacked a certain "quality" to really sell it.
__________________
Just because it's futuristic doesn't mean it's practical.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2013, 03:48 AM   #5397
Nagisa Furukawa
Commander
 
Nagisa Furukawa's Avatar
 
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
Without Star wars there would be no ... the idea of science fiction world building.
Say whaaa? People like Asimov were world-building in sci-fi epics like The Foundation years before Lucas.
__________________
I am the one who guided you this far.
Nagisa Furukawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2013, 04:16 AM   #5398
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral
 
Kelthaz's Avatar
 
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
I believed Christopher Reeve was Superman, though - Clark Kent, not so much.
I've always felt the opposite. Reeve was a mediocre Superman, but the definitive Clark Kent.
__________________
"Who are you?! And how did you get in here?!"

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2013, 05:34 AM   #5399
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation
 
Alidar Jarok's Avatar
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

A beaker full of death wrote: View Post
Assumes facts not in evidence.
That's not what that means.
__________________
When on Romulus, Do as the Romulans
Alidar Jarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2013, 05:34 AM   #5400
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
I prefer ingenuity, even if it is "shakey" by today's standards, over the so-called panacea of CGI laziness.
I prefer effects that look good and are persuasive over effects that don't look as good.

Radical notion, that.

Without Star wars there would be no...
Again, not impressing me; it doesn't make the bad Star Wars movies one bit better - or better movies as dull as the bad Star Wars flicks.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
christopher nolan, man of steel, superman, zack snyder

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:29 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.