Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 17 2013, 12:25 PM   #5011
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

the G-man wrote: View Post
Yes, because if there's one thing an invulnerable alien needs, its medieval armor.
Superman is only super on Earth. Red sun vs. Yellow sun and all that stuff, ya know?
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2013, 05:13 PM   #5012
davejames
Vice Admiral

Medieval alien armor certainly makes a lot more sense than thin ballerina tights (that his "aura" somehow just "magically" protects from damage). Or a suit made from indestructible Kryptonian... blankets. Lol
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2013, 05:20 PM   #5013
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

But the very idea of Superman really is him being on Earth. Wearing a cape and swashbuckler boots is based on Human fashion. There is nothing alien about that. Even when the idea of his suit being made from his Kryptonian blankets was introduced, its style was never based on Krypton fashion.

The 1978 movie introduced the idea of the Symbol having a Krypton origin. But even than Brando did not wear a suit that looked like exactly like Superman's. The idea of the suit being fully of Krypton design is very recent and I do not like it.

Take away the briefs and giving it more texture and detail does not change that it still looks like a human idea of how a hero should dress. All this over rationalization does not make the costume more believable or truly alien.
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2013, 05:33 PM   #5014
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

The new costume is horseshit. Spider-Man's too. By making them more believable they've made them less believable. It's almost amazing.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2013, 05:52 PM   #5015
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
Medieval alien armor certainly makes a lot more sense than thin ballerina tights (that his "aura" somehow just "magically" protects from damage). Or a suit made from indestructible Kryptonian... blankets. Lol
Wearing your wacky alien battle-armour actually makes less sense than adopting an indigneous 'hero' costume, if your goal is acceptance in your adopted land.

The transformation of Superman from kid's comic book hero brought to life to po-faced alien fashionista is one which I would like to see reversed but can't see happening.
Old January 17 2013, 06:05 PM   #5016
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Seeing how there are sometimes theories of there being an Earth-Krypton connection (Kryptonians being the descendants of humans transplanted to another world and experimented on, or something) his Costume still resembling something Earth-like while being alien battle armor isn't so bad.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2013, 06:46 PM   #5017
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Shazam! wrote: View Post
davejames wrote: View Post
Wearing your wacky alien battle-armour actually makes less sense than adopting an indigneous 'hero' costume, if your goal is acceptance in your adopted land.
Why would someone born in the late 1980s in a universe without Superheroes (or at least without Superman) adopt a costume based on circus outfits from over a hundred years ago?

Where does this 'indigneous' hero outfit come from? You just get into the circular logic that Superman would wear that costume because that is the costume that Superman wore.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2013, 07:57 PM   #5018
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

When we saw Crowe on set he was wearing something similar

He's wearing his heritage/Armor. It can also be considered really elaborate long johns.
Old January 17 2013, 08:03 PM   #5019
CorporalClegg
Admiral

I think the new suit is brilliant.
CorporalClegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2013, 08:58 PM   #5020
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

JoeZhang wrote: View Post

Why would someone born in the late 1980s in a universe without Superheroes (or at least without Superman) adopt a costume based on circus outfits from over a hundred years ago?

Where does this 'indigneous' hero outfit come from?
And whilst we're at it, how can he fly?

I just think that it's much more satisfying (and just plain nicer) on pretty much every level for 'Superman' to be the living embodiment of the things that young Clark would have perceived as 'super' when he was a child ie. comic heroes, strong men etc as opposed to wearing what appears to be Kryptonian long johns (as Samurai8472 pointed out.)

Last edited by Shazam!; January 17 2013 at 09:15 PM.
Old January 17 2013, 09:13 PM   #5021
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Shazam! wrote: View Post

Where does this 'indigneous' hero outfit come from?
And whilst we're at it, how can he fly?

I just think that it's much more satisfying on pretty much every level for 'Superman' to be the living embodiment of the things that young Clark would have perceived as 'super' when he was a child ie. comic heroes, strong men etc as opposed to wearing what appears to be Kryptonian long johns (as Samurai8472 pointed out.)
But again why would a kid in the 1980s/early perceive 'strong men' to be 'super'? You might as well say it is because he loves "I love lucy" - if you want to go down that road.. you'd be better off saying he based the colours on watching Optimus Prime on the transformers cartoon.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2013, 09:19 PM   #5022
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

But again why would a kid in the 1980s/early perceive 'strong men' to be 'super'?

My perception of a superhero is bright colours, cape and tights and I was born in 1980. Now, obviously that is because of Superman but it could just as easily be Mighty Man or Strong Sid or whatever in the Superman universe.

Last edited by Shazam!; January 17 2013 at 10:25 PM.
Old January 18 2013, 06:42 PM   #5023
Gojira
Commodore

Superman: Man of Steel’ – Plot, Storyline and Big Spoilers
This was posted on Nuke the Fridge....take it with a grain of salt.

http://nukethefridge.com/2013/01/18/...-big-spoilers/
Old January 18 2013, 07:05 PM   #5024
Garak
Mr Garak. Today My Name is Mr Garak

^ Sounds good to me!
Old January 18 2013, 10:32 PM   #5025
davejames
Vice Admiral

Donald Draper wrote: View Post
The idea of the suit being fully of Krypton design is very recent and I do not like it.
I actually think it's pretty inspired, myself. The idea that this is some kind of official Kryptonian "uniform" that he wears in honor of his destroyed home planet, and the billions of people who died there, has a lot more power and resonance than just the fact it's just something his mom sewed together because he needed a secret identity.

Take away the briefs and giving it more texture and detail does not change that it still looks like a human idea of how a hero should dress. All this over rationalization does not make the costume more believable or truly alien.
Maybe not totally, but it certainly looks more believable and alien than the costumes we've seen before.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote