New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 17 2011, 03:26 PM   #481
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

MIBIII is also in big trouble right now. With script problems and production delays.Apparently the script is so weak and confusing that Tommy Lee Jones was reported as saying he didn't know what the film was about!! I wouldn't be surprised if the first batch of actresses were rumor. They changed so drastically just in two days. The fact that Diana Agorn denied being contacted for the audition makes me think no one really knows anything going on right now with the production.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2011, 04:27 PM   #482
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
^ I'm not 'writing him off.' Does no-one understand the significance of the word 'could' in my post?
"Nail in the coffin" is a pretty specific impression. Being replaced on a single film is meaningless, such "musical chairs" on these projects being pretty common. Snyder is still in demand and as long as that's so discussing him as if he's on a career slide is nonsense.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2011, 04:28 PM   #483
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^ Okay 'nail in the coffin of his relationship with WB'? Like I say, I'm throwing it out for debate, since it has merited some comment on various other sites and this is, you know, a discussion thread?
Old February 17 2011, 04:33 PM   #484
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Snyder and Cavill spoke to EW about the casting process. Here's an excerpt SHH posted:

Among the topics of discussion: Cavill’s audition, which included shooting a screen test wearing a replica of Christopher Reeve’s once impressive, now dated Superman suit. “If you can put on that suit and pull it off,” says Snyder, ‘that’s an awesome achievement.” Cavill was feeling less than super in the moment, at least about his ability to fill out the costume: He had just finished shooting a film with Bruce Willis called The Cold Light Of Day, and the part required to him to shed the impressive abs of steel and muscle tone he had put on for the movie he made right before that, the forthcoming mythic fantasy Immortals. As an assistant helped to him put on the Super-suit, Cavill recalls: “All I could think was: Oh, god. They’re going to look at me and go ‘He’s not Superman. Not a chance.’ The actor inside me was going: You’re not ready! You’re not ready!” Snyder saw something — or rather someone — different. “He walked out, and no one laughed,” says the director. “Other actors put that suit on, and it’s a joke, even if they’re great actors. Henry put it on, and he exuded this kind of crazy-calm confidence that just made me go ‘Wow.’ Okay: This was Superman.’”
Old February 17 2011, 04:35 PM   #485
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I like him already.

Old February 17 2011, 06:27 PM   #486
Christopher
Writer

Among the topics of discussion: Cavill’s audition, which included shooting a screen test wearing a replica of Christopher Reeve’s once impressive, now dated Superman suit.
How is it "dated?" Superman's costume design hasn't changed materially in the comics for decades (discounting occasional digressions like Electric Superman). And Reeve's suit looks a damn sight better than the one from Superman Returns. That one tried to "update" the costume and only made it uglier.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2011, 06:29 PM   #487
davejames
Vice Admiral

That IS a pretty cool story. And it seems like a pretty good test too-- if you can wear Reeve's costume and not look silly, that probably says an awful lot.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2011, 06:31 PM   #488
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

The article isn't talking about the comic book costume Christopher. It's referring to the actual physical costume worn by Reeve from the movie...which IS dated considering that it's over thirty years old. It's not talking about the actual design.

Old February 17 2011, 06:32 PM   #489
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
The article isn't talking about the comic book costume Christopher. It's referring to the actual physical costume worn by Reeve from the movie...which IS dated considering that it's over thirty years old. It's not talking about the actual design.
It said replica. It was referring to the design.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2011, 06:34 PM   #490
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

No...it said replica of the Reeves costume "wearing a replica of Christopher Reeve’s once impressive now dated costume". It's clearly referring to the actual physical costume.

Old February 17 2011, 06:35 PM   #491
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^ Well, if it's a replica, how can it be the actual physical costume worn by Reeve?
Old February 17 2011, 06:37 PM   #492
davejames
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
How is it "dated?" Superman's costume design hasn't changed materially in the comics for decades (discounting occasional digressions like Electric Superman). And Reeve's suit looks a damn sight better than the one from Superman Returns. That one tried to "update" the costume and only made it uglier.
I love the costume too, but come on. From a totally objective, non-fan standpoint, it DOES look a bit dated now. Especially when you compare it to something as sophisticated and complex as Raimi's Spidey costume.

I mean, the shorts are too big, the S too wobbly, the blue too... teal, and the material is something that belongs more on a ballet dancer than a superhero.

I'm sure that's all EW was really referring to. Not the design itself.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2011, 06:41 PM   #493
Christopher
Writer

The point is, when it says "dated," what specifically is dated about it? Just in case there's any confusion, "dated" doesn't just mean old, it means outmoded, too far behind the state of the art, overly tied to a particular time that is now past. For instance, if Iron Man had shown Tony Stark using vacuum tubes in his computers, that would've been dated.

EDIT: davejames posted while I was writing.

davejames wrote: View Post
I love the costume too, but come on. From a totally objective, non-fan standpoint, it DOES look a bit dated now. Especially when you compare it to something as sophisticated and complex as Raimi's Spidey costume.
I don't like Raimi's Spidey costume. It's too complicated and high-tech. It's absurd that a lower-middle-class high-school student could create something like that. And the one in the new movie looks even worse.

The Routh costume went for "sophisticated and complex," and it just looked overthought and unattractive.

Old February 17 2011, 06:42 PM   #494
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Okay. My point was that the article wasn't "dissing" the design of the costume as Christopher seemed to think that they were...it was referring to the costume it's self and captaindemotion you know what I was meaning. It's a replica of the costume, not the exact costume.

I think it's pretty clear we're going to get an update of the costume for the movie but with Snyder's recent statements from a couple weeks ago stated his favorite artists were Curt Swan and Jim Lee.

Here's the cover of EW with Henry wearing a Superman t-shirt.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Henry...oto-23217.html

Old February 17 2011, 06:46 PM   #495
Christopher
Writer

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Okay. My point was that the article wasn't "dissing" the design of the costume as Christopher seemed to think that they were...it was referring to the costume it's self and captaindemotion you know what I was meaning. It's a replica of the costume, not the exact costume.
But your point contradicts itself. If it's a modern replica, then the only thing that could be dated about it is its design. So whether it's a replica or not has nothing to do with the question: what specifically about it do they consider to be dated?