TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 8 2011, 12:58 AM   #3436
the G-man
Commodore

Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Myasishchev wrote: View Post
I mean, I don't care very much either, but Lois should have black hair.
Interestingly enough, neither Noel Neill nor Phyllis Coates had black hair. The first major live action Lois to have black hair was Margot Kidder.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2011, 01:41 AM   #3437
indolover
Fleet Captain

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
One notices a thruline in Superman stories where they try and try and try to explain why no one believed the obviously corroborable theories.

Or are they corroborable? With super-technology you can explain anything, I guess, but say the lithosphere on Earth was thickening to the point it surpassed its buoyancy limit; would we know?

Jor-El is just part of the liberal conspiracy - he only wants you to believe that Krypton is going to blow up because they wants to tax businesses as part of their social engineering and attempts to restrict our freedoms. Many legitimate scientists have shown that his models are wrong and that the changes that we see are simply a natural event that we see every few thousand years.

Bottom line - it's a scam as explained on Kryptofox news by OREIL.-LY
Maybe General Zodbama put him up to it. All he has to do is kneel before him, and all is forgiven.
indolover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2011, 02:16 AM   #3438
JD
Admiral

Lana Lang.
Old October 8 2011, 03:17 AM   #3439
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

I think I've liked Byrne's adult Lana the best of any of them since I first saw her. She approaches looking like a human being rather than a generic comic book girl, and she has a soulfulness about her.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2011, 03:41 AM   #3440
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Lois had auburn/reddish hair in the Post-Crisis comics until she dyed it black in the early 2000s. This isn't so out of the ordinary.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2011, 03:48 AM   #3441
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Anwar wrote: View Post
Lois had auburn/reddish hair in the Post-Crisis comics until she dyed it black in the early 2000s. This isn't so out of the ordinary.
Yeah, I liked that. Jet black hair is extraordinarily rare among caucasians, yet a remarkable percentage of comic book characters have it - Clark, Lois, Bruce Wayne, even ol' Captain Marvel. To some degree it was probably a comic coloring convention of the 1930s, as you don't see it very often among new characters introduced in the 1960s - not Peter Parker nor any of the Fantastic Four, nor Hal Jordan or Barry Allen nor...you get the idea. That Lois's, at least, was a dye job made a lot of sense.
Old October 8 2011, 03:56 AM   #3442
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

A beaker full of death wrote: View Post
Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Selina Kyle should have short hair
Why?
Because the counterexample looks retarded?

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Lois should be a brunette and Selina Kyle should have short hair instead of Anne Hathaway's long hair but oh well.
"Should" is one of the most useless words in the English language, don't you think?
We shouldn't use it.

Jet black hair is extraordinarily rare among caucasians
I dunno. I can't find a stat, but I'm pretty sure this isn't the case. Unless me , my dad, my first girlfriend, this other chick I knew, and several dozen other people I know (and more if you count Jews and Arabs as Caucasian) are all strange outliers. In which case, cool, I have a superpower!

Myasishchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2011, 04:03 AM   #3443
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

I have no idea what Selina Kyle is supposed to look like other than Julie Newmar. I notice in issue #1 of her book that she seems to be quite flexible, which I guess makes sense.
Old October 8 2011, 04:14 AM   #3444
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

Jet black hair is extraordinarily rare among caucasians
I dunno. I can't find a stat, but I'm pretty sure this isn't the case. Unless me , my dad, my first girlfriend, this other chick I knew, and several dozen other people I know (and more if you count Jews and Arabs as Caucasian) are all strange outliers. In which case, cool, I have a superpower!
A lot of dark haired Celts and Southern Europeans as well. As I understand it fairhaired Celts tend to have some Norse in their ancestry.
Old October 8 2011, 06:52 PM   #3445
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral

Selina Kyle should have short hair
Why?
Well there's a strong argument.
She wore this outfit well into the 80s, if not more recently, interspersed with several variants, to be sure. But her hair was long pretty much throughout.

John Byrne gave Sue Richards a short hairdo at one point. Didn't last. It doesn't mean she should have a bob in the movie.

Though, of course, the movie seemed to go with a whole change of ethnicity, but that's another issue...
Old October 8 2011, 07:01 PM   #3446
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

Just because the actress was Hispanic didn't mean Sue was. Thats like saying Reed was Welsh because Ioan Gruffudd is.
Old October 8 2011, 07:57 PM   #3447
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

Why?
Well there's a strong argument.
Thing is, I don't just mean the length of her hair, I mean that entire get-up; and I don't mean just from an aesthetic point of view.

What I mean is, it's entirely thoughtless about what the character would need to wear to be effective and what her activities might entail. Batman doesn't wear a floor-length robes.

The hair's actually not even in the top five things of what's wrong with it. Those spots go to: 1)poor balance; 2)lack of protection for rolling falls; 3)aerodynamic braking and trip hazard of the dress; 4)aerodynamic braking and trip hazard of the cape; 5)only medium environmental concealment; 6)very poor identity concealment. So the obstruction of vision, aerodynamic braking, and combat weakness of the hair is actually like number 7. And that's before I get into any aesthetic criticisms.

Oh and number 8 is no one wants to shave their legs every time they have to go to work, but this may not apply since comic book women only have terminal hair on their heads. Thanks Harper's Bazaar!

Now I'm overthinking this a bit, but I wouldn't have to, because someone else named Darwyn Cooke already did that for me and designed an excellent practical costume... that everyone since has been doing their damnedest to turn into fetish wear or not to draw entirely or both.

P.S. Sue Storm's got superpowers. She's like the most powerful combatant on Earth, that isn't Professor X or Jean Grey. And she can turn invisible. So she can wear her hair any way she wants; but even she doesn't wear fall-down-and-lose-a-square-foot-of-skin costume. Well, not anymore. Oh, man, that was an unpleasant time. We can laugh now.

Old October 8 2011, 08:01 PM   #3448
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

A drawing doesn't really have to be practical. Batman's costume is all sorts of impractical. The cape and mask especially. Practically sucks the life out of superheroes.
Old October 8 2011, 08:09 PM   #3449
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

Depends on who's drawing. Kelly Jones certainly made it a monstrosity. But assuming the argument, although the cape is certainly unrealistic, it's an acceptable break because it looks cool in an an action scene. High heels never look cool in any kind of action scene.

Old October 8 2011, 08:19 PM   #3450
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

Most female heroes aren't designed to look cool in action scenes. They're designed to look cool when striking sexy poses.

I would think any heroes in a mask is asking for trouble in a fight, but Batman's has some nice hand holds on it. Holy vision obscured Batman!!!!!!

From what I understand capes are bad ideas for fliers. They tend to wrap rather than billow.